• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spyro Trilogy is 67 Gigs

Handy Fake

So it was garbage data?
7CzK.gif

scalman

Its not bad , not after i downloaded division 2 3 times both betas and then full game needed new installs somehow lol

TLZ

Banned
Wasn't sure if this was new topic worthy, especially since this news is a month late, so I'll just bump this thread. It's no longer 67 gigs, I was just looking at my applications and check this shit out.
XPeYCxX.jpg

Looked it up, and last months update actually cut the file size by nearly half, looked up the game on PSN and it's now listed as 31GB.
https://store.playstation.com/en-us/product/UP0002-CUSA12125_00-SPYROTRILOGY0001

Also XBOX one is apparently now 44.46GB but I can't confirm this myself.

So yeah, turns out this was a 1 disc size game after all. Ain't that some shit..... At least this looks good for the rumored Switch version and a reissue for the hold outs like Yoshi Yoshi
I'm holding out as well in hopes they do rerelease later with all 3 on disk.

Ballthyrm

Disk space is cheap.
Compressing the data cost Dev time and console resource, both of which are in short supplies.

60 gigs take around 7 hours on a 20Mbit/s connection.
Sure it sucks if you have data caps but you get a better and faster game.

60 gigs is a small price to pay if that give time to the devs to make the game good, instead of fighting for a subset of gamers who have shitty internet.

OldGamer

Wasn't sure if this was new topic worthy, especially since this news is a month late, so I'll just bump this thread. It's no longer 67 gigs, I was just looking at my applications and check this shit out.

So yeah, turns out this was a 1 disc size game after all. Ain't that some shit..... At least this looks good for the rumored Switch version and a reissue for the hold outs like Yoshi Yoshi

It is kind of old news, but that is OK.

The other big thing about the patch was the subtitles. I forgot how much dialogue is in the game, so the subs helped tremendously for me. Didn't matter as much as in Crash because there was far less talking.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Disk space is cheap.
Compressing the data cost Dev time and console resource, both of which are in short supplies.

60 gigs is a small price to pay if that give time to the devs to make the game good, instead of fighting for a subset of gamers who have shitty internet.
.. or want the game in full independent of future closure of online services.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Disk space is cheap.

Some people like owning a game and not relying on internet connections or servers being maintained to play it.

In 15-20 years -will the PS4/Xbox One servers still be up? Will you still be able to download the entirety of the game? Chances are - no, you will not be able to. Just look at the Wii, the PS2, or the OG Xbox.

Nymphae

Banned
Some people like owning a game and not relying on internet connections or servers being maintained to play it.

In 15-20 years -will the PS4/Xbox One servers still be up? Will you still be able to download the entirety of the game? Chances are - no, you will not be able to. Just look at the Wii, the PS2, or the OG Xbox.

So tired of people who cannot understand why others prefer physical.

Ballthyrm

Have you ever seen one of theses bad boys ?

external-blu-ray-drive_1_1024x1024.jpg

Disk space is cheap.

Probably should have read the newer posts before posting.
XPeYCxX.jpg

Looked it up, and last months update actually cut the file size by nearly half, looked up the game on PSN and it's now listed as 31GB.
https://store.playstation.com/en-us/product/UP0002-CUSA12125_00-SPYROTRILOGY0001

Given the game is actually just 36GB, I'm now sure how that over 31GB of junk data at launch was making a game better and faster.

Last edited:
Is this shit ever coming to PC?
Won't be surprised if like Crash N'Sane Trilogy last year after it's year of PS4 exclusivity (which finally got a PS4 patch, a PS4 physical reissue, and a PC, X1, Switch release all at the same time), we'll get a reissue of this for PS4, X1, Switch, and PC this year.

Last edited:

StormCell

This crap should seriously be illegal... in at least the EU. Whatever is on the disc should have to be a fully playable game. Screw day-1 patches.

And on that thought, anyone want to start a review site with me that will only review the games that are on the disc/cart?? I gotta feeling this will resonate strongly with core gamers.

XPeYCxX.jpg

I was just thinking about this game today. I hope they print new discs / release a complete switch port but probably not.

sublimit

Banned
Sometimes even i get scared by how easily i can delete from my mind a product that i was once very excited to buy when someone tries to screw me as a consumer or treats me as an idiot. And i'm saying this as a huge Spyro fan,someone who has even tried to enjoy the PS2 Spyro games.

Who knows,maybe someday i will buy this trilogy for less than 10 euros (if i still remember it exists.)

Zog

Banned
Nevermind, I didn't realize this thread was so old.. I don't want to quote someone from the first page.

Last edited:

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
This crap should seriously be illegal... in at least the EU. Whatever is on the disc should have to be a fully playable game. Screw day-1 patches.

And on that thought, anyone want to start a review site with me that will only review the games that are on the disc/cart?? I gotta feeling this will resonate strongly with core gamers.
Let's do it.

Top Bottom