• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Squad: 50 vs 50 Tactical Shooter from the makers of Project Reality(BF2)

Steam page

About This Game
Squad is a 50 vs 50 multiplayer first-person shooter that aims to capture combat realism through communication and teamplay, emphasizing both strong squad cohesion mechanics as well as larger scale coordination, tactics and planning. It features large open maps, vehicle-based combined arms gameplay, and player-constructed bases to create a heart-thumping, visceral gaming experience which mixes organized tactical multi-squad planning with split second decision-making in real-world scale firefights.

Saw it as a top seller on steam and looked into it. Unreal Engine 4 game from the creators of the Project Reality mod for Battlefield 2. seems like a less clunky ARMA perhaps? It's still early access and there are no vehicles yet but they are coming. Map size is supposed to grow as well. What's there now is from what I've seen/read a very well made immersive squad based shooter with tons of recoil and realism. It raised 430k on kickstarter and just released as and Early Access title on steam for 40. Anyone try it out yet? seems very tempting but the price is pretty steep for something Early Access.

gameplay vid by jackFrags

IMACOMPUTA

Sold one of those new csgo cases right when it came out for $10. Think I'm gonna put it towards this. Loved PR.

Not sure what the right word for it would be because it's not quiet BF levels of arcadey nor ARMA levels of realism. So i just went with tactical.

Not sure what his deal is--it's designed as a tactical shooter, for sure.

Between this and R6: Siege, I'm in old-school tactical shooter heaven.

Dabanton

Project Reality was great. It was actually tactical, due to how you couldn't just jump into a tank or plane. Some nice tense firefights.

The maps were massive so you and your fireteam would have to be dropped off by a copter to get to your objective, this meant that all the players weren't all bunched together.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah. 50 vs 50 sounds insane.

Sometimes it works.

M4qdm44.jpg

Oh, it's meant to be tactical, but you just know it's gonna be a cluster right at release.

It will probably have the same clientele as Project Reality. You don't hunt out this game if you want to COWADOOTY it up. You just buy Blops 3. The bigger servers will probably enforce PTFO, atleast I hope.

Definitely gonna check it out.

early impressions from those who've played a few hours?

looks pretty fun going off twitch stream. Might wait till it's around 20-25 bucks. After h1z1, I have a bad taste in my mouth as far as early access games go.

looks pretty fun going off twitch stream. Might wait till it's around 20-25 bucks. After h1z1, I have a bad taste in my mouth as far as early access games go.
Same. Big commitment at that price tag. Lot of positive stuff from other sources but would like some more hands on impressions.

It still feels like is very very early in development, but they seem to have a good foundation to build off of. My primary concerns right now are performance and the win conditions.

I did happen to come across a dev in game who said that they are working on optimizations, so that will probably be taken care of in time.

The win conditions are like Battlefield's in that the team whose tickets reaches 0 loses, but doing the objectives seems to have little impact on that. I've been on teams that had captured or successfully defended all objectives and still lost the match because we ran out of tickets first. Ideally, taking all objectives should lead to a massive ticket bleed for the other team or make their main base open for capture as the final objective. I don't know if they've implemented that yet.

I'm getting 30-40FPS on a full 50-player server with:

GTX 970
AMD FX-8320
12 GB RAM

Personal impressions:

So far it's pretty fun, but it might be a bit clunky-feeling for the average FPS player. Firefights are intense as hell and, the first time I got into a close engagement with an enemy, my heart literally started pounding and I spazzed out and died. Sounds are great (explosions especially) and graphics are decent.

Gameplay is super tactical, meaning you better have a mic and follow your squad leader's orders. Some maps are huge, meaning you have to run for some time in order to get into a fight, but it's worth it.

A huge concern for me is the difficulty of seeing enemies. Like real life, it's hard to see other people so a lot of your time is spent squinting at the monitor to try to discern between terrain and a person. There is a zoom function but it doesn't help much.

I'd personally recommend getting this game if you like tactical, realistic, gritty shooters. It's intense and fun in my opinion. The only downsides right now are the one I just said (difficulty of seeing enemies) and also the performance, because it doesn't run well on many computers, because it's not optimized yet.

Ask me questions if you wanna learn more

IMACOMPUTA

Got it. Played it. Had a lot of fun.

It's pretty basic right now, but I think that's a good thing for people playing a game like this for the first time. It's easy to digest.

I had really good performance. 60fps aside from really heavy action dropping 5-10 fps occasionally.

3570k @ 4.5ghz
980ti

SparkTR

Oh, it's meant to be tactical, but you just know it's gonna be a cluster right at release.

It won't, the best thing about PR was every system in the game encouraged teamplay, going alone made it one of the most boring shooters ever and people who didn't cooporate left pretty early. You need to be part of a six/seven person squad and work as a team to move around the map and capture strategic locations or nothing happens, so you have half a dozen minor skirmishes ranging across the map that rarely converged into a massive battle.

This wont ever release on consoles right?

Games like these typically don't Red Orchestra 2, Project Reality, ArmA, Natural Selection 2 usually fill a niche that doesn't exist outside of the PC.

54-46!

I backed the Kickstarter and have played it since August, the game has a really solid base now and the core mechanics are great.

Also made a thread for it;
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=935131

That said, the game is really bare-bones and for $40 I wouldn't recommend it to anyone unless they have experience with Project Reality and would like to see how it develops, it's an EA game after all.

I trust the developers and know what I should expect from the final product, if you don't you probably shouldn't spend money on it.

I would like to hear what non-PR people has to say about it though.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Man, this seems dope. Been around 3k people playing it all day.

I wanna buy but will wait for more impressions.

DTKT

Project Reality is a load of fun but mostly because of how feature packed it is. I'll wait a few months till they get some more features completed.

Project Reality is a load of fun but mostly because of how feature packed it is. I'll wait a few months till they get some more features completed.

This. I see a lot of people comparing Squad to Insurgency, but once all the systems with the vehicles and logistics are implemented, it will be a very different thing.

For people who want to give the concept a shot but don't want to spend $40 just yet, I'd highly recommend trying Project Reality as it is completely free and standalone from BF2 now. It will give you a good idea of what Squad will be like when it is further developed.

Wow the hyper realism looks great.

Hearing gun shots in an open field, firing with an AR but not knowing if you're landing shots, the quietness of it all. I hope it does well

Ianan

Just bought this game and having a blast with it, its really refreshing playing something like this after years of shooters feeling very similar. Fire fights are very intense, the slightest wrong move and you could be spotted and killed instantly. Feels very tactical and slow but I'm loving it, can't wait to see how it develops further.

Texas Pride

Banned
BF2 was/is legendary. EA managed to fuck up a good thing with the series so they obviously can't be trusted to get it back to where it was. I'm open to new studios trying to recapture that magic.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Damn. I'd play this if it came to Xbox.

Graphics look a little budgety, but the scope seems good and maps and buildings not clusterfucky.

Top Bottom