• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square announced Octopath Traveler for PC in now-deleted blog post

Fbh

octopathmain.jpg

Just recently we had the report of the game getting a rating for PC in Korea. Well now Square officially announced the game is getting a Steam release on PC on June 7.
The blog post of the announcement has since been deleted but not before people managed to copy it:

We have some very exciting news for PC gamers. Octopath Traveler is coming to Steam on June 7, 2019! So, yknow, add it to your Wishlist now.

The critically-acclaimed RPG has previously only been available on Nintendo Switch, so this will be the first time non-Nintendo owners can experience the game.

What is Octopath Traveler about?

Set in the beautiful, but dangerous, world of Osterra, Octopath Traveler puts you in control of 8 unique heroes – each with their own skillset, motivations and storylines. You can play as:

• Olberic: an experienced knight in search of redemption.
  • Cyrus: a scholar whose book smarts don’t always equate to common sense.
  • Tressa: an enthusiastic merchant who is travelling the world to hone her skills.
  • Ophelia: a noble cleric on a pilgrimage to Orsterra’s holy sites.
  • Primrose: a fallen noble on a quest to avenge her murdered father.
  • Alfyn: a naive apothecary determined to help people whatever the cost.
  • Therion: a skilled thief trapped in an impossible situation.
  • H’annit: an expert hunter, tracking down her missing master.
You can start the game with any of those characters, and build your party in any order you want. Each one has a distinct class, and unique ‘Path Actions’ – abilities they can use out of combat to progress their adventure.

For example, Therion can steal items from NPCs, Olberic can start a scrap with pretty much anyone, and H’annit can tame wild beasts.

Over the course of the party’s various adventures, you’ll explore 8 vast regions full of stories, side-quests to discover, and gruesome creatures to battle against.

Speaking of battles, Octopath Traveler has a battle system that’s easy to understand, but imbued with impressive tactical depth.

It’s based around ‘breaking’ your targets – every enemy has a shield, and you need to take advantage of their weaknesses to break it and put them into a vulnerable state which essentially stuns them for a turn.

Finally, it would be remiss not to comment on how it looks. Octopath Traveler combines realistic 3D environments with classic RPG-inspired character sprites. It’s an utterly distinctive visual style and absolutely stunning – especially in motion.

How do I get Octopath Traveler on PC?

Octopath Traveler will be available to buy from Steam and the Square Enix Store. Add it to your Wishlist now!

Source: Gematsu

ethomaz

Banned
Probably because it is still into the sunset date of the time-exclusivity... the blog post will come soon rather than late again.

Sadly it is not on Vita or PS4... the only place I should buy the game today.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
WOO! I have no clue why this isn't bigger news. One of the best games on the Switch and one of the besst JRPGs in the past 20 years (no joke).

Hope it ends up true for my PCGAF brethren.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
This game is legit amazing, absolutely loved it and it's honestly probably in my top 10 best JRPG games of all time.

Glad to see it's coming to PC, wonder if it'll get any additional content.

Pejo

This rumor had been circling around for a while now, though I heard it was going to be Epic Store exclusive. Thank goodness if that's not the case. I'll definitely double dip if it comes out on Steam.

This rumor had been circling around for a while now, though I heard it was going to be Epic Store exclusive. Thank goodness if that's not the case. I'll definitely double dip if it comes out on Steam.

Japanese devs so far haven't sold themselves up. I guess it might be due to their experiences with xbox exclusivity which nearly killed multiple franchises.

Grinchy

Banned
I only enjoyed the battle system. Other than that the game was boring
Yeah, I desperately wish they just made a single good storyline instead of 8 bite-sized bad ones. I really enjoyed the look of the game and was mostly enjoying the battle system but I don't know how many times I can go through lackluster character introduction short stories.

Mista

Banned
Yeah, I desperately wish they just made a single good storyline instead of 8 bite-sized bad ones. I really enjoyed the look of the game and was mostly enjoying the battle system but I don't know how many times I can go through lackluster character introduction short stories.
To me the game didn’t deserve $60 at all. Yes I’m a sucker for turn-based RPGs but this game was so boring!

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
This game kind of sucked TBH.

I was enamored by the demo. But really it’s just 8 mediocre-to-bad JRPG stories interleaved with each other. No party member has any role in any other’s storyline, and the only interactions between party members are these 1-on-1 skits that happen in a separate dimension.

Battle system is cool but becomes really boring and tedious once you’ve seen all it has to offer.

Don’t be fooled by the hype. This game isn’t even in the same ballpark as the classics that it superficially resembles.

If this game released in the 1990s, it would be remembered as a curious b-list JRPG that had a couple neat ideas.

Fbh

I'll agree the game has issues in design and storytelling.
The visual style, music and combat system are still good though.

$60 seemed a bit too much for this IMO. The good thing is that since it's published by Square on PC it will probably get much cheaper much faster. For $20-30 it's still worth checking out IMO and unlike the Switch release it's not going to take 5 years to get there

iconmaster

Banned
It's not like storytelling in most 90s JRPGs was much beyond a jumble of cliches.

It's a great game that could have stood to be a little less grindy. Otherwise, no complaints. (I don't think I made it past anyone's second chapter, but my daughter has nearly finished the final mission.)

Tygeezy

WOO! I have no clue why this isn't bigger news. One of the best games on the Switch and one of the besst JRPGs in the past 20 years (no joke).

Hope it ends up true for my PCGAF brethren.
I'm glad its coming to pc, but I think ill end up getting this for the switch when I end up getting one of the new swtich models. The reason? Portability.

Ovek

7Member7
Maybe they deleted blog post because someone forgot to change all the Steam words with Epic. :messenger_grinning_squinting:

Drake

oh shit, this game was one of the main reasons I was gonna buy a switch. Definitely getting this for PC day one. Been dying to play this.

FStubbs

Probably pulled the blog post because they're having one last round of conversation with Sony to get a deal to port it to PS4, so the announcement can be "PC and PS4".

oh shit, this game was one of the main reasons I was gonna buy a switch. Definitely getting this for PC day one. Been dying to play this.

You'll definitely prefer to play it portable. It lends itself to quick sessions.

Last edited:

FStubbs

The Switch is a better way IMO to play games like this, but only Sony gets non-timed third party exclusives.

petran79

Banned
If you can port it to PC, PS4 and Xbox One are trivial.

I meant Steam's approval is much faster, even allowing game breaking glitches, without the extra costs of QA. Surprised this is coming fromSquare Enix instead of a smaller publisher though.

I'll probably pick it up on deep discount. I love the aesthetics and would love to see how good the game looks like without Switch limitations, but what I've seen and heard is that the story and gameplay leave a LOT to be desired.

Kazza

For those who thought it was a little pricey on release, the game is currently on sale on steam (30% off)

Top Bottom