• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix’s Hajime Tabata Would Turn Down Final Fantasy VII Remake

AzureFlame

Tabatas's FFVII Remake.

-Midgar segment replaced with CGI film: Avalanche:FFVII
-only control Cloud
-Episode Barrett
-Episode Tifa
-Episode RedXIII
-Explorable Towns and Cities replaced with bandit camps on the world map
-Epic cutscenes left unfinished
-Unfinished 2nd half of the game patched together with an on the rails train and loading screens

Etc...

I get shivers just by reading this..

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I would not want him to do it either. I don't even think Kitase and Nomura will be able to satisfy everybody, and i don't really think they are expecting to in the end.

Tabata directed Crisis core, but even then, he was shadowed by Kitase and Nomura on that project just cause it was 7.

Nomura's Versus/15 was handed over to Tabata as well and well...i think it makes sense for him to want to do original projects now just based on that result. It was surely a mess as an experience.

No wonder his games have zero story. He’s too busy doing interviews everyday. Must be the 100th interview or tabata says thread I’ve seen this year.

ethomaz

Banned
That has more to do with the Square than with the man and his team, though.

Like I said before, he was given the monumental task to finish and ship what was essentially vaporware and while XV isn't perfect, it turned out much better than I ever thought it would have.
Yeap when you give a good project from beginning to him it deliveries a good game... oh wait...

Tabata working history tells more about him than the excuse people try to create... in fact the same mistakes it did in previous games are apparent in FFXV... maybe it is too much coincidences.

I'm curious but where did this recent Tabata hate come from?

Sure, FFXV wasn't a masterpiece (personally I really enjoyed it) but I felt he did as best he could given the state that game was originally in. Not only that, Crisis Core is perhaps the best thing to come out of FFVII.

I actually didn't like Type-0, but I feel his track record is better than most.

I don't hate him but I don't like him either. It's hard to shrug off XV's faults because of the tight schedule Tabata was on when it shares issues that exist in every game he's directed. He just seems incapable of telling a remotely decent story.

And wat, FFVII was the best thing to come out of FFVII. Crisis Core isn't even remotely close.

Now ask this question from Toriyama who works in the division that is also developing FFVII: Remake.

As time passes, I am beginning to think Toriyama is prepping to takeover the project from Nomura. I do wonder how people will react to this news. Perhaps SE will try to soften the blow by announcing Toriyama as the co-director first and then insisting that Nomrua will remain the creative director throughout the Remake.

ryushe

But now I'm curious... what did you like about FFXV? Like specifically? I mean I do think Noctis is cool. I hate how Luna was treated in the game. Same goes for Cor and other characters. I do like the combat alot.
I liked the four main characters, especially Noctis. Loved the road trip feel the game had. The overworld was fun to traverse. Each dungeon is fantastic. Combat was a blast. Ardyn is an amazing villain. It looks amazing. Has the best ending in the series. The OST is on another level. Etc. Etc.

I'm not saying the game doesn't to have its fair share of problems, as you've already alluded with how it handles its secondary characters, but FFXV was great when it came out and is only getting better.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
There’s no need for him to do this. He already took up a train wreck project and was awarded his own studio and a new AAA console IP for doing so.

Yohane

Tabatas's FFVII Remake.

-Midgar segment replaced with CGI film: Avalanche:FFVII
-only control Cloud
-Episode Barrett
-Episode Tifa
-Episode RedXIII
-Explorable Towns and Cities replaced with bandit camps on the world map
-Epic cutscenes left unfinished
-Unfinished 2nd half of the game patched together with an on the rails train and loading screens

Etc...

I'd buy an Episode Cait Sith tbh

There’s no need for him to do this. He already took up a train wreck project and was awarded his own studio and a new AAA console IP for doing so.
Correct me if I am wrong but Tabata is also heading the R&D for the Luminious Engine Pro for next generation and PC, right?

Khalme

Neo Member
Did XV have anything FFXIII related? That analogy does not work. I said Toriyama as event director only.
Eh, that was more of a (bad) joke about Toriyama's obsession with Lightning, impliying that he could find a way to put her in every game he could.

. I would actually buy this.
I can already hear Genesis reading that dumb Loveless poem from Crisis Core with Lightning in the background standing on a clock tower or something.
At night. With sunglasses. I think we're onto something great.

Neo-Ryudo

To be fair i Trust Kitase but Nomura? F that.

Nomura has never successfully directed a Final Fantasy Game. and i don't think that will change with FFVII

Top Bottom