• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix 1st Production Department Premiere Thread: [Some Trailers]

Tron 2.0

Garjon said:
What are those green blobs in front of the username?
I forgot about those.

Someone correct me, but I believe they were some sort of reputation meter? I don't think it was really used.

I believe it was removed before the new format, but I can't really remember.

Gravijah

Regulus Tera said:
what if they are manboobs?

I dunno, man boobs don't really look like that.

FWIW, there's nothing wrong with small boobs. It's just, compared to Lightning (WHO IS STACKED IN THAT LOGO) it makes no sense.

Tron 2.0 said:
I forgot about those.

Someone correct me, but I believe they were some sort of reputation meter? I don't think it was really used.

That sounds about right.

Kenka

jeremy1456 said:
With the way Nintendo is I wouldn't be surprised if SE announcements were being saved for Nintendo's own conference.

Then again, I'm not really expecting a port of Type-0... get a PSP if you want to play it. The game is on 2 UMDs which does not bode well.

I'll wait till tomorrow. Nonetheless, I was refereing to the situation in regards to business strategy. S-E would probably be wise to bet on 3DS' success. Unless they got cooled by the announcements regarding friend codes and region locking just like players.

OK, last sentence is really unlikely.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
voady said:
Back to topic Type-0: is this the first game with 2 UMD's?

I think Legend of Heroes VI: Sora no Kiseki SC was the first one to have it (not sure though, it was released back in 2006/2007).

-Oath

voady said:
Back to topic Type-0: is this the first game with 2 UMD's?
IIRC Eiyu Densetsu Sora no Kiseki SC was the first PSP game with 2 UMDs.
EDIT: Beaten. Also Im not sure if its the only other game to have 2 UMDs.

jeremy1456

Kandinsky said:
But i thought every FF entry was a drastic departure from the last one and the only thing they had in common was the name and some random guy named Cid and floating boats?, at least thats what Gaf and FF fans been saying for years.
I just find the "wasted" comment very silly especially since XI probably funded half the shit we're getting these days.

They have a lot more in common than what you listed, and XI and XIV are the only drastic departures we've seen.

I wouldn't use the term 'wasted' but I really hope they didn't use resources to make the online games that could have otherwise been put to use in traditional entries in the series.

Tron 2.0

Kenka said:
I'll wait till tomorrow. Nonetheless, I was refereing to the situation in regards to business strategy. S-E would probably be wise to bet on 3DS' success. Unless they got cooled by the announcements regarding friend codes and region locking just like players.

OK, last sentence is really unlikely.
Haven't their PSP Final Fantasy titles been significantly more successful than their DS Final Fantasy releases?

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Gravijah said:
I dunno, man boobs don't really look like that.

FWIW, there's nothing wrong with small boobs. It's just, compared to Lightning (WHO IS STACKED IN THAT LOGO) it makes no sense.

It's no that "there's nothing wrong with small boobs". In many cases they are preferable to big boobs. Sexy, have an alluring and smooth curvature, and they probably don't get in the way as much!

I wouldn't know about that last part though.

Gravijah

jeremy1456 said:
They have a lot more in common than what you listed, and XI and XIV are the only drastic departures we've seen.

I wouldn't use the term 'wasted' but I really hope they didn't use resources to make the online games that could have otherwise been put to use in traditional entries in the series.

XI had a lot of stuff that makes Final Fantasy... Final Fantasy.

Garjon

Tron 2.0 said:
I forgot about those.

Oh right, I just always wondered why sometimes they were red as well.

Kenka

Tron 2.0 said:
Haven't their PSP Final Fantasy titles been significantly more successful than their DS Final Fantasy releases?

The answer is no.

Let's recap the situation a bit.

S-E made plenty of bucks with the DS, they produced spin-offs (good ones to be honest), remakes and produced some original titles (It's a Wonderful World, 4 Warriors of Light, etc.) in addition to DQ IX.

The success was clearly there and the DS was their cash cow just like PS2 was. Instead of being rationnal and give their audiance what it wanted, Square went into development hell with both Kingdom Hearts III and Versus, announced games eons before they are actually launched (or still not launched) and launch a not-so-good (or straight bad) FF XIV.

They spent loads of money in long development cycles and made asses out of themselves and their outcome was lacking both creativity and economical sense.

Why don't we have Final Fantasy Vr ? Final Fantasy VIr ? Hell, even Final Fantasy VIIr on the DS ? Simply 'cause their team are busy with the FNC project which has proved to be both a dry output and a critical non-success so far.

I wonder how they still convince their shareholders. And this is no hyperbole.

Eliciel

Yoshiya said:
http://www.square-enix.co.jp/kingdom/3d/

Was this posted? Doesn't bode well for Versus that the website remained unchanged from all of this. Well, until the trailer goes up. 2012, at the earliest. If only we could tell the GAF of 2006, or even 2008.

a journey in time would change everything, if there is one thing that we learned out of back into the future than this! ;)

FNC turns out to be a justification for making sequels. Maybe we will se FF Type 1, FF Versus XIII-2

It's like announce a game now and release it in 2017 :\

wow... I can't believe I was so naive back in 2006 to think I'm going to play Versus 2008 - 2009, if i knew I will have to wait till 2012 I would had a nerve meltdown -_-"

6 years.........

Foffy

Banned
....You know, Kingdom Hearts titles have been pretty awful, but there's something majestically bad about Dream Drop Distance.

It's like a title to a J-Pop song.

Ronok

You have to pay to watch the stream on Niconico?

Nvm, google translate helped me. Needed to apply to get in... v.v;

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
KTallguy said:
19:25 -- The trailer appears to have a whole lot of gameplay footage, including combat scenes with swords and guns, a scene where you control a tank-like vehicle, a scene where you climb aboard a bipedal robot, a battle with a massive creature (this may be the combat scene from the TGS trailer), and a battle where Noctis wields his sword against a group of soldiers.
Metal Gear!

jeremy1456

Pureauthor said:

Because, due to the online structure of the game, it played very differently from your typical FF game? Because the trademark emphasis on storytelling and cinematics wasn't there?

Because nothing about it felt like a mainline FF game.

jeremy1456 said:
Because, due to the online structure of the game, it played very differently from your typical FF game?

FFXIII plays differently from FFXII which plays differently from FFXI which plays differently from FFX.

Because the trademark emphasis on storytelling and cinematics wasn't there?

FFXI has the richest lore and best story of any recent FF (and almost any FF period.)

Because nothing about it felt like a mainline FF game.

At this point that's a good thing.

Top Bottom