• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix 1st Production Department Premiere Thread: [Some Trailers]

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Is there a cultural reason why Japanese conferences tend to be strung out? E3 conferences, even outside the big three, tend to show a lot more in less time.

Kenka

Rahxephon91 said:
Outside of FFIII, isn't the answer yes?

The ranking of FF games sales in Japan on portables is like :

DS :

FF III - 501'701 / 1'008'230 / 49.76% 24.08.06

FF IVr - 308'794 / 622'475 / 49.61% 20.12.07

Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings - 289'325 / 524'009 / 55.21% 26.04.07

Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Rings of Fate (Square Enix) - 206'439 / 389'845 / 52.95% 23.08.07

Final Fantasy Tactics A2: Grimoire of the Rift (Square Enix) - 158'408 / 287'871 / 55.03% 25.10.07

Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Echoes of Time (Square Enix) - 101'989 / 259'705 / 39.27% 29.01.09

PSP :

Dissidia: Final Fantasy (Square Enix) - 503'723 / 902'398 / 55.82% 18.12.08

Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII (Square Enix) - 470'152 / 809'825 / 58.06% 13.09.07

Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions (Square Enix) - 169'768 / 301'796 / 56.25% 10.05.07

Final Fantasy: Anniversary Edition (Square Enix) - 52'554 / 124'839 / 42.10% 19.04.07

Courtesy of Chris' Media Create threads database.

Khrno

jeremy1456 said:
Because, due to the online structure of the game, it played very differently from your typical FF game? Because the trademark emphasis on storytelling and cinematics wasn't there?

The emphasis on storytelling was and has been there on every single expansion. Did you ever played the game? It didn't have FMVs (besides the opening) but it certainly has tons of story cutscenes. But trademark-cinematics? Really? I to VI didn't, so they aren't FF games or what?

Because nothing about it felt like a mainline FF game

Nothing??? Everything feels like a mainline FF game, starting with the story, the graphics, the music, the job system, the combat, the enemies, the characters development (story NPC), the "boss" battles, the super rare items. But the best part is that the game didn't end with the credits, the world remained there, so you could always come back to expand, relive, and continue with the FF experience.

Again, did you actually play the game until some significant point, as in, did you ever see the game's story unfold?

Tron 2.0

ICallItFutile said:
I just woke up. What should I expect from the stream?

A quick guide to determine if you will be disappointed with the conference:

On a scale from 1-10, 10 being the highest, how likely are you to play a Kingdom Hearts game with lame alliteration in its title?

10: GOOD NEWS!
1: BAD NEWS!

Did you enjoy Final Fantasy XIII? Yes/No

Yes: Final Fantasy XIII-2!!!!!!!!!!!! Releasing 2011!!!!!!!
No: Final Fantasy XIII-2? :( Releasing 2011, meaning that Versus is 2012 at the earliest and that's assuming XIII-2 doesn't slip. :_(

How important was the name "Agito" to you?

So important: Well, at least it's releasing in the summer.
Not at all important: It's releasing in the summer!

Are you a 360-only gamer hoping for Versus to go multiplatform? Yes/No

Yes: I haven't the heart to tell you...
No: GOOD NEWS!

How much were you expecting Dragon Quest news?

So much: I will be your shoulder to cry on. :_(
Not at all: WHY DO YOU HATE DRAGON QUEST????

Zoe

So I guess by releasing XIII-2 in 2011, they've let themselves off the hook for another year with Versus?

:mad: :mad: :mad:

Mockingbird said:
Why is there all this stupid text scrolling on to the video? Does Japan not know about a fucking chatbox?

That's part of the appeal of Niconico. You can turn it off.

So the stream blurs during the part that matters and people decide to type even more in order to try and block out every inch of the trailer possible.

Zoe said:
That's part of the appeal of Niconico. You can turn it off.

No we can't. We're streaming via Ustream, which is streaming from Niconico.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
KH3D looked better than I expected. I was going to say it was uninspired until I saw Sora flying around the screen. Why must they always go back to that fucking island? Is it some sort of requirement for a KH game?

glaurung

Vanille said:
I was expecting worse.
It's like they have thrown all logic into the wind after Birth by Sleep and that days/years whatever thing.

Feels like they are making up the game names by opening a dictionary at random locations.

Edit: did they give KH3DS a release window?

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I see 8s, Ws, and a few 9s

I think they want FFVIII.

Is the 8 = clapping because the JP sound effect for clapping is pachi and in JP 8 = hachi? Oh is it supposed to be symbolic?

Ok, I see the answer above me. How does W = a laugh though?

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
OMG Yuna in action. <3<3<3<3

glaurung

hamchan said:
XIII-2 coming out before Versus? That's kinda nuts.
Not really, the XIII-2 engine is likely simply a polished XIII engine so it makes more sense.

Damn this Duodecim trailer is long...

Zoe

Mockingbird said:
Is the 8 = clapping because the JP sound effect for clapping is pachi and in JP 8 = hachi? Oh is it supposed to be symbolic?

Ok, I see the answer above me. How does W = a laugh though?

&#31505;&#12358; = warau

duckroll

KH3D looked great.

Dissidia012 looked REALLY good too. Yuna looks awesome to play as. That's definitely Gilgamesh being teased at the end there. :D

Seda

duckroll said:
KH3D looked great.

Dissidia012 looked REALLY good too. Yuna looks awesome to play as. That's definitely Gilgamesh being teased at the end there. :D

I hope he's not just an assist....

jett

D-Member
30~ minutes until the ustream link shows the Versus trailer, I guess I'll go make a sandwich or something

duckroll

Peff said:
So Prishe isn't actually confirmed, is she? Maybe she's a support character...

Maybe, but I would say any character seen in the actual FMV/cutscenes are likely playable characters.

Peff

I mean, she's very likely playable, but is there any other character that was revealed like this, a quick CG shot? Even Gilgamesh got a special sequence for himself...

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Was Gilgamesh revlealed? Did I miss it?!

WickedLaharl said:
lololololagox.jpg

:p
Look at all those :lol smilies. :(

Jerk

Banned
Fuck, I am late :(

That tears it, I am getting a smart phone.

Nirolak said:
Wait, there are people who exist that don't disable the comments?

Glad I got a real ticket. o_O

We call them crazy people.

Zoe

Lily said:
Is talking over eachother a trait of Japanese presenters or something?

I wasn't really paying attention, but it's typically done to show you're engaged in the conversation.

Top Bottom