• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix 1st Production Department Premiere Thread: [Some Trailers]

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
-Pyromaniac- said:
How can a game like Nier be localized so goddamn masterfully, just use the same people or whatever.
Generally Square Enix localizes to their target audience.

Games like Nier and FFXII were targeted older than FFXIII, so instead of getting actors and dialog translations they hoped would appeal to younger teens, they went for ones that appealed to older audiences.

Nirolak said:

Games like Nier and FFXII were targeted older than FFXIII, so instead of getting actors and dialog translations they hoped would appeal to younger teens, they went for ones that appealed to older audiences.
They should always do that :(

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
-Pyromaniac- said:
They should always do that :(
Well, FFXIII had around 2/3rds of its sales in the West, where the average gamer is a lot older, so I wouldn't be surprised to see the plot skew more that way.

Given the vast amount of blood in Type-0 and the general themes and setting of Versus, I would say they are definitely starting to make the series as a whole targeted at older audiences.

We will most likely find out if this trend applies to FFXIII-2 after a story trailer or two.

Vanille

I really don't see what Square has to gain by making us wait a week for the direct feed trailers. It was obvious people were going to record the stream. Seems counter-productive to force everyone to view your trailers in shitty quality.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Vanille said:
I really don't see what Square has to gain by making us wait a week for the direct feed trailers. It was obvious people were going to record the stream. Seems counter-productive to force everyone to view your trailers in shitty quality.

We're lucky they didn't black out the trailers during the stream to begin with.

Pooya

It took them so long this time, TGS trailers were pretty much instantly down.
I hope we get real HD trailers, tgs one was so bad, 1080p on PSN or something like that.

Nirolak said:

I don't understand how this works at all. Do they just use bigger words that mean the same or something? I mean the content of a game doesn't just change when it gets localized (at least not much).

If it's that much of a difference, I'm not really looking forward to all localizations from Square being like Nier and FFXII.

StuBurns

Banned
cosmicblizzard said:
I don't understand how this works at all. Do they just use bigger words that mean the same or something? I mean the content of a game doesn't just change when it gets localized (at least not much).

If it's that much of a difference, I'm not really looking forward to all localizations from Square being like Nier and FFXII.
"She's can handle herself, I'm sure she'll be fine"
"Mom's are tough"

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
cosmicblizzard said:

Usually the largest changes are in vocabulary and voice direction.

You might have a female character act totally different depending on whether they're appealing to the That's So Raven crowd or the CSI crowd, even if the general concept of what they're saying is the same.

cosmicblizzard said:

Nier's dialogue doesn't sound like XII's dialogue though.

Nier is post-apocalypse so pretty much everyone uses modern English and most of the characters speak somewhat casually.

You seem to be making rash assumptions here.

XII's localization isn't awesome because of of the flavorful dialogue. It's awesome because the flavorful dialogue fits the setting perfectly, but at the same time is never pretentious or hard to understand.

Also no shitty one liners or dumb "only makes sense in Japan" phrasing.

Zoe said:

Thanks. Is that the same girl seiyuu from the opening to Advent Children (and I THINK who voiced Marlene ... been a while. I remember the voice more distinctly from the intro narration).

Bebpo said:
The thing is the gameplay was locked down years ago and kh3d just began devolpment. There a real risk when you take 6 years to make a game that the gameplay concepts that were fresh then will be dated by the time of release.

I expect good combat on the level of kh2++ but I'm not going to be surprised if bbs and 3d trounce it.

Ever since I played BbS I felt this was a distinct possibility. The video does remind me more of KH 1 combat than any other KH game for the hack and slash bits shown + the HUD. At least it looks like it won't have a
XTD09.jpg
button ^__^. However, that could just be because they showed only some of the basics off combat and none of the more fancy stuff, plus the character was probably low leveled (and thus, slower).

Really, I think what might be causing people to be let down is the fact Versus's gameplay was FINALLY revealed ... less than an hour after they showed off some of the insanity in the most recent version of the combat engine (the KH 3D trailer).

StuBurns said:
"She's can handle herself, I'm sure she'll be fine"
"Mom's are tough"

Still don't see the problem with the latter. Hell, my mom said it just the other day.

Fimbulvetr said:
Nier's dialogue doesn't sound like XII's dialogue though.

Nier is post-apocalypse so pretty much everyone uses modern English and most of the characters speak somewhat casually.

You seem to be making rash assumptions here.

XII's localization isn't awesome because of of the flavorful dialogue. It's awesome because the flavorful dialogue fits the setting perfectly, but at the same time is never pretentious or hard to understand.

Also no shitty one liners or dumb "only makes sense in Japan" phrasing.

Other than Kaine, Nier's dialogue was boring.

Also, one liners are awesome.

StuBurns

Banned
cosmicblizzard said:
Still don't see the problem with the latter. Hell, my mom said it just the other day.
It's the tone more anything really. I don't think it's the worst line in the game by a long way.

"That's what daddies do" made me want to rip my own throat out so I could use it to strangle myself.

StuBurns said:
It's the tone more anything really. I don't think it's the worst line in the game by a long way.

"That's what daddies do" made me want to rip my own throat out so I could use it to strangle myself.

When was that? Don't remember it at all. I actually can't remember one bad line from Sazh.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
cosmicblizzard said:
Other than Kaine, Nier's dialogue was boring.

Well this is just upsetting considering I loved most of the dialogue and banter that went around during the game. I'm not sure if I should find you and eat you alive or not.

StuBurns

Banned
cosmicblizzard said:
When was that? Don't remember it at all. I actually can't remember one bad line from Sazh.
Vanille said it to Sazh in a cutscene after the chocobo hunt if I remember correctly, I could be mistaken though, it's been a while.

cosmicblizzard said:
Also, one liners are awesome.

Only when they aren't written by 5 year olds.

That's not even getting into:

Code Purple, no wait Code Green. ZOMG THAT'S WAY WORSE RITE!?!(the sad thing is that the game wanted this to be a satire, but it failed so miserably)

Worse birthday ever.

Then there's another shitty piece of dialogue(though it has nothing to do with localization because I personally can't see it being any less awkward in JP) where they try to slip(and by slip I mean ram fiercely with no lube) exposition about the l'Cie into Sazh's dialogue. Of course this goes about as well as you'd think, in that it's the least natural sounding bit of dialog in the ENTIRE GAME.

StuBurns said:
Vanille said it to Sazh in a cutscene after the chocobo hunt if I remember correctly, I could be mistaken though, it's been a while.

Oh, she said it? Well that's not too bad then. It's expected of a genki girl.

InfiniteNine said:
Well this is just upsetting considering I loved most of the dialogue and banter that went around during the game. I'm not sure if I should find you and eat you alive or not.

If I get someone else to say he's me, will you eat him?

Fimbulvetr said:
Then there's another shitty piece of dialogue(though it has nothing to do with localization because I personally can't see it being any less awkward in JP) where they try to slip(and by slip I mean ram fiercely with no lube) exposition about the l'Cie into Sazh's dialogue. Of course this goes about as well as you'd think, in that it's the least natural sounding bit of dialog in the ENTIRE GAME.

Which part/chapter?

cosmicblizzard said:
Which part/chapter?

First(or maybe second? I forget where Ch1 ends and CH2 begins) when Sazh and Lightning are on the floating bridge talking about a soldier's duty or some other such bilge.

Edit: Wait shit. I think it was a chapter 3 cutscene. I might have been confusing it because the first few chapters are a blur of "what? huh?"

Fimbulvetr said:
First(or maybe second? I forget where Ch1 ends and CH2 begins) when Sazh and Lightning are on the floating bridge talking about a soldier's duty or some other such bilge.

Ah, that's right. I vaguely remember it sounding unnatural but not really having a huge problem with it. It has almost been a year though. I'll have to find the scene.

Snakeyes

So, any chance that Nomura has been taking notes from Portal on how Noctis' teleport ability could allow for new gameplay elements in Versus?

Who am I kidding... sigh. I expect way too much innovation from devs nowadays

Top Bottom