• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix announces Ardina (browser game)

Equinox

Neo Member
http://www.ardina.jp/ - Browser game.

about.jpg

play_bg1.jpg

It dosn't hurt anymore.

All I see is waifus and a guy with the most weird abs and no nipples.

Edit: Looks like travian and many other similar games...

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Has something to do with Eidolons. Maybe Waifu eidolons. I guess this is a summoner village and stuff happens with cards?

Xater

"Square Enix announces something you won't care about."

That seems to be par for the course these days.

how much money and resources have they spent on their browser/mobile games already

They could have made an HD town by now with the amount of games they have for all this stuff

How much old school talent, that haven't left already, has stuck around at the company?

This is not how you answer Inafune's challenge to the JPN gaming industry, Square!

So, is Square-Enix officially a mobile and browser only developer now?

I'm sure that's what the young folk must think.

"Oh, Square-ENAX? Yeah, they've got a couple good games on iOS right? Overpriced, though. Chrono Trigger kind of sucked though."

Asd202

What's up with SE any those waifu games recently, even LR is kinda a waifu game did Toriyama took over the whole creative process in the company?

No wonder Realm Reborn had issues.

They focused too many resources on these mobile games

They needed all the servers for mobile games and ARR was left with the shitty ones.

What's up with SE any those waifu games recently, even LR is kinda a waifu game did Toriyama took over the whole creative process in the company?

If you gonna aim to a certain group of gamers, what better that aiming the ones who spends a fucklot of money in figurines, overpriced physical releases and so on?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
So, is Square-Enix officially a mobile and browser only developer now?

I'm sure that's what the young folk must think.

"Oh, Square-ENAX? Yeah, they've got a couple good games on iOS right? Overpriced, though. Chrono Trigger kind of sucked though."

Oh we're almost there now, especially if you make allowances for MMOs.

I'm sure TGS will reinforce this.

RaikuHebi

Banned
"Square Enix announces something you won't care about."

That seems to be par for the course these days.
Pretty much. They are clearly desperate for a slice of that sweet micro-transaction pie that is all the rage these days. The exact kind of thing their core audience deplores. It's embarrassing and an abomination.

Yeah, it's not like they just released the best FF console game in almost a decade last week or anything -_-

FFXV hasn't released yet.

Oh we're almost there now, especially if you make allowances for MMOs.

I'm sure TGS will reinforce this.

I certainly feel like we're definitely on this road. Saying they are already was just me being facetious, but I think that's where this headed. I imagine that once FFXV is done, FFXHD and KHHD all release, there won't be much left as far as classic console RPGs from them.

Robin64

Why do the styles for none of the characters match? Some look shaded, others are flat colours, some have bold lines.. It's a mess of different looks.

Pretty much. They are clearly desperate for a slice of that sweet micro-transaction pie that is all the rage these days. The exact kind of thing their core audience deplores. It's embarrassing and an abomination.

Funny thing is if they had just spent the time to put the same love and care into FF14 (pre Realm Reborn) as they did with FF11, they'd be banking off that monthly fee they'd be getting.

They tried to cut corners, fucked up the game, rebuilt the game to be 2.0: Realm Reborn, and what do they do... they underestimate a mainline FF in the west after pouring so much time and effort in rebuilding it.

wtf Square

I'm all for you making money, but have some passion

Does SE even make that much money from this stuff?

Cheap to develop, no licensing costs, no distribution costs and high revenue oppurtunity with micropayments.

Throw some waifus for good measure and you understand why they left handheld development.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
I wish SE would just hurry up and become mobile/browser only so I can forget about them and move on.

Also, I think that's one of the few times I can honestly say that a guy is sexualized. Huh.

I guess I should be totally angry and crying for SE to go bankrupt, but I am still getting my BD: FF, LR, FF X HD, KH HD, FF XIV, and FF XV so I can't complain too much. Game seems harmless. Although I would much rather they made more 3DS games.

This game could potentially turn out well, but it makes me wonder how many Japanese devs still take pride in their work. I know money is the end goal, but I never thought the two had to be mutually exclusive.

These games are here-today-gone-tomorrow (does anyone care?). I cannot picture anything in the social/mobile era having long-lasting appeal like the many Nintendo classics that exist. Sure, there will always be things like Angry Birds which will get ported to any number of devices, but this entire trend seems like a fragmented mess where the majority of games will be very quickly forgotten. Quick fix gaming.

EDIT: I only bring it up because this trend is killing the traditional, dedicated form of gaming that I have enjoyed for decades now. I could care less if you like social/mobile/casual gaming, personally.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
This game could potentially turn out well, but it makes me wonder how many Japanese devs still take pride in their work. I know money is the end goal, but I never thought the two had to be mutually exclusive.

These games are here-today-gone-tomorrow (does anyone care?). I cannot picture anything in the social/mobile era having long-lasting appeal like the many Nintendo classics that exist. Sure, there will always be things like Angry Birds which will get ported to any number of devices, but this entire trend seems like a fragmented mess where the majority of games will be very quickly forgotten. Quick fix gaming.

Why put in the extra effort if you get the same paycheck every week. Some developers don't have the motivation or drive to create games anymore.

Sophia

Um... well... I guess they get credit for using an original title and not trying to drag Final Fantasy or another IP through the mud?

The game screenshots look interesting. Too bad about that generic artstyle. :\

massoluk

Banned
Why do the styles for none of the characters match? Some look shaded, others are flat colours, some have bold lines.. It's a mess of different looks.

Yeah, what's going on with this? Is this like cross-over game or something? Why the clash of art styles?

bengraven

It dosn't hurt anymore.

All I see is waifus and a guy with the most weird abs and no nipples.

Edit: Looks like travian and many other similar games...

As I was loading this thread my thoughts were "how soon will I see an androgynous male and underage girl with no clothes?"

It was like instantly as I scrolled down...

Top Bottom