• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix Announces Declining Financial Results & Strategy to Strengthen Development & Blockchain

fermcr

"Today Square Enix announced its financial results for the full fiscal year between April 2022 and March 2023.
Net sales for the whole company were 343,267 million yen (down 6.0% year-on-year) while operating income was 44,331 million yen (down 25.2% year-on-year).
Speaking of the Digital Entertainment business, which includes video games, sales were 245,548 million yen (down 12.2% year-on-year) and operating income was 41,253 million yen (down 30.0% year-on-year).
HD Games did not manage to generate the same level of earnings compared to the previous year despite the release of Forspoken, Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII Reunion, Octopath Traveler II, and more..."

https://techraptor.net/gaming/news/...al-results-strategy-to-strengthen-development

Square%20Enix.jpg

feynoob

Banned
Revenue down despite the release of Foresaken or because of the release of Foresaken?
They didn't make same amount as last year.
HD Games did not manage to generate the same level of earnings compared to the previous year despite the release of Forspoken, Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII Reunion, Octopath Traveler II, and more..."

Paltheos

What’s really concerning is how much they talk about blockchain games in their earnings presentation:

Disappointing. I thought we'd collectively moved past NFTs (if not blockchain business models entirely). I wonder if anybody asked what Square thinks they can do that everyone else already hasn't.

tmlDan

Doesn't the new CEO have an even harder blockchain boner? That was my impression at any rate.
naw, he has no background with blockchain despite what people assumed about him.

I feel like the board is pressuring whoever is in charge to do it for some reason. I just can't believe that a board who see's multiple failures across diff mediums still thinks they can find success with this.

Doom85

I know of a 3 trillion dollar company that would gladly subsidize any losses in sales you may be having, Square. All you have to do is make games for their subscription service and release them day one. And no more Sony deals. Sounds good?

Square President: The fuck is this guy talking about?
Square CEO: No idea, sir, no video game company I’m aware of matches that description.
Square Intern: Excuse me, I think he‘s talking about Xbox.
Square CEO: Oh, Xbox, I remember those guys. Shame about what happened to them, but hey, if it can happen to SEGA…
Square Intern: Uh, sir, Xbox still has consoles, they’re on their fourth one.
Square President: Now you’re just talking nonsense! I’ve not seen a Xbox console in Japan for well over a decade since the 360 days. And even if they supposedly still exist, why the hell would we make our games exclusive for a system not available in our country?!
Square Intern: Well, sir, when you put it like that, I see your point, the proposal sounds absolutely stupid.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
There’s an easy fix. FF back on Nintendo consoles .. pick up where FF 6 left off . No more belt buckle sci-fi

I like Squares AA output way better than their AAA schlock. Mash X and watch the screen fill with particle effects while guys with 30 zippers on their jackets do somersaults. No thanks. Their small games like Octopath 2 and Triangle Stategy are 🔥.

Aenima

Sucks to see one of my favorite japanese devs going down the NFT rabbit hole. Hopefully they leave the main games of they big IPs like FF and Dragon quest, out of that and just do the NFT nonsense to other gaas projects and mobile.

Last edited:

Luigi Mario

Disappointing. I thought we'd collectively moved past NFTs (if not blockchain business models entirely). I wonder if anybody asked what Square thinks they can do that everyone else already hasn't.
Unfortunately, it seems like the new President will be doubling down on blockchain entertainment.

Last edited:

SegaShack

I know of a 3 trillion dollar company that would gladly subsidize any losses in sales you may be having, Square. All you have to do is make games for their subscription service and release them day one. And no more Sony deals. Sounds good?
Based on whats happened to every studio MS has acquired I hope this doesn't happen.

Fredrik

Why haven’t Sony or Nintendo acquired them yet?
Sony should do it to make sure they get the FF7R trilogy in a good shape.
Nintendo should do it you make sure they get the HD 2D remasters.

zomboden

Banned
Based on whats happened to every studio MS has acquired I hope this doesn't happen.
Yes, Microsoft is the gaming boogeyman that will ruin anything it touches.

Redfall Xbox was hands off and it was already in development before they were acquired.
Rare made Sea of Thieves which is now critically acclaimed
Tango made Hi-Fi Rush which has been critically acclaimed
Starfield is shaping up to look great.
Obsidian is making avowed which I'm assuming they are putting a lot of care and work into.

What's the problem? Microsoft isn't forcing developers to make stuff they wouldn't normally make. Phil said he is hands off when it comes to letting studios being creative. They make the games they want to.

Last edited:

Doom85

Let’s see, Microsoft bought Rare in 2002, and Sea of Thieves came out in 2018.

Oh cool, a development team known for releasing annual great titles in their SNES/N64 days, and then proceeded to get bought by Microsoft and then take 16 years full of shit Kinect titles, a Banjo “3” that missed the mark, and other blunders before finally making a title people enjoyed…..not at launch, of course, oh no, but EVENTUALLY they managed to get ONE win.

James Corden Applause GIF by The Late Late Show with James Corden

Fbh

Well they had a pretty shit year so this isn't surprising.
About the only truly good game they released in a while is Octopath 2 and honestly I think they are hurting that type of games with the full retail pricing. You can quote me telling me it's the best thing ever and totally worth the price but I think the average consumer sees a $60 2D pixel art games and just goes "nah".

Hopefully FFXVI is the beginning of them turning things around.

Square needs to get their consistency back. It's great they they invest in smaller budget titles but things like story, gameplay and art direction should be of a consistent quality in all their games.
How the fuck is a game primarily developed by ONE German dude (chained echoes) better than 90% of the Square output for the past 20 years?

kiphalfton

Well let's see...

Redfall Xbox was hands off and it was already in development before they were acquired.

So what you're saying...

friday-movie-that-was-different.gif

That was 5 years ago.

That is a AA game, and not a system seller.

Obsidian is making avowed which I'm assuming they are putting a lot of care and work into.

These two haven't even come out.

What's the problem? Microsoft isn't forcing developers to make stuff they wouldn't normally make. Phil said he is hands off when it comes to letting studios being creative. They make the games they want to.

If that list of games was all you could come up with, well that's the problem.

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

Because they know what a hot thrash the company is. Better to poach Yoshi-P team instead.

zomboden

Banned
Well let's see...

So what you're saying...

friday-movie-that-was-different.gif

That was 5 years ago.

That is a AA game, and not a system seller.

These two haven't even come out.

If that list of games was all you could come up with, well that's the problem.
We will just have to disagree here. I hope that if the ACT/BLIZZ acquisition falls thru they invest in Japan and acquiring Square would be a great start.

PC gaming is gaining population in Japan and game pass Square Enix day one games would help move some subscriptions while giving people a good deal at the same time.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Get fucked.
This is what happens when you chase nfts.
And they are doubling down on their Blockchain endeavors.

Square Enix execs are some weird weird folk.
Next year they will have an earnings call where they talk about having made a mistaken investing in Blockchain and NFTs......as if everyone and literally their mothers couldnt tell them that ship sailed a long time ago.

Woopah

They both already get plenty of content from SE and a good chunk of it is exclusive. Why take on the cost for the whole SE company when they already give you 90% of what you want?

Corndog

Banned
"Today Square Enix announced its financial results for the full fiscal year between April 2022 and March 2023.
Net sales for the whole company were 343,267 million yen (down 6.0% year-on-year) while operating income was 44,331 million yen (down 25.2% year-on-year).
Speaking of the Digital Entertainment business, which includes video games, sales were 245,548 million yen (down 12.2% year-on-year) and operating income was 41,253 million yen (down 30.0% year-on-year).

https://techraptor.net/gaming/news/...al-results-strategy-to-strengthen-development

Square%20Enix.jpg
That 6 percent down could possibly be from not selling your products on a certain platform.

Corndog

Banned
They both already get plenty of content from SE and a good chunk of it is exclusive. Why take on the cost for the whole SE company when they already give you 90% of what you want?
One of the console makers should have acquired crystal dynamics. I thought Xbox was dumb for not getting them.

Ar¢tos

eyeroll.gif

So you are saying that in 2 years MS never bothered to check on Arkane, that is in the same country and the game was OKed for release without MS even being aware of its state, never even seeing it?
I'm not buying it, no company in the world works like that.
They had the power to delay it, or even cancel it, or as last resort, reduce the price from 70$ to 40$, and they did absolutely nothing, released a massive turd and then sent a puppy eyed Phil Spencer to apologize in an interview.

Fuz

Banned
The day they go under I will celebrate like never before. I'll never forgive them for ruining FF. They've been DEAD to me since they released FF X
This.
I like Squares AA output way better than their AAA schlock. Mash X and watch the screen fill with particle effects while guys with 30 zippers on their jackets do somersaults. No thanks. Their small games like Octopath 2 and Triangle Stategy are 🔥.
Also this.

They can get fucked with their NFT bullshit.

PillsOff

Banned
They should release Spirits Within 2
Budget that at 300 mil n it sure ll save the situation cos this time it will look so real you can taste bad writing with your eyes

They dumped so many games between Q3-22 and Q1-23. Even the people who would want to play the games they released were overwhelmed with options and there was no sensible way to justify buying all of them at full MSRP.

I actually am intrigued to see what they come up with leveraging blockchain.

zomboden

Banned
eyeroll.gif

So you are saying that in 2 years MS never bothered to check on Arkane, that is in the same country and the game was OKed for release without MS even being aware of its state, never even seeing it?
I'm not buying it, no company in the world works like that.
They had the power to delay it, or even cancel it, or as last resort, reduce the price from 70$ to 40$, and they did absolutely nothing, released a massive turd and then sent a puppy eyed Phil Spencer to apologize in an interview.
I think they should have taken a look at it. But I'm basing what I'm saying on what Phil has said. I hope that they will take a closer look at first party games that are in development now more than ever. Like people have said, they need to have high rated games and not flops coming out in the future.

He said in the interview on xCast that they didn't take a close look at Redfall, but did scramble people in to help with Starfield. Maybe he trusted that Arkane would deliver on their own? He said he still believes in Arkane to produce great games.

And also the interview was scheduled before Redfall came out.

Last edited:
Top Bottom