• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix announces Dungeon Siege 3 (SQEX / Obsidian / GPG collaboration)

Sacha

So, Square Enix France just let out the info : the game that was teased by David Hoffman on Twitter (the "Project X") is Dungeon Siege 3. Obsidian will develop the game under Gas Powered Games' supervision, and Square Enix will publish.

Info :
- PS3, Xbox 360, PC
- All new 4-player co-op mode (offline and online)
- Intense scenario promised
- Wide range of classes to choose from for your character
- Recruitable allies
- The player's choices in the game will affect the story, his alliances and his enemies.

2bbcl5.jpg

15mguac.jpg

Hi-res

1624pad.jpg

Hi-res

2v3honn.jpg

Hi-res

jai6h0.jpg

Hi-res

Square Enix Announces Partnership With Obsidian Entertainment for DUNGEON SIEGE 3

LOS ANGELES, June 7 -- Square Enix, Inc., the publisher of SQUARE ENIX® interactive entertainment products in North America, announced today that it is partnering with Obsidian Entertainment?, Inc. on DUNGEON SIEGE® 3. With input from the original developer, Gas Powered Games®, Obsidian Entertainment will develop the next incarnation of the DUNGEON SIEGE franchise with Square Enix as the game's publisher. Coming for the first time to high-def home video game consoles, DUNGEON SIEGE 3 will be available for PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system, the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft and Windows PC.

DUNGEON SIEGE 3 is representative of Square Enix's ongoing strategic partnerships with Western game developers and its commitment to increasing its presence in the North American market. The game will bring together the beloved aspects of the DUNGEON SIEGE franchise with Obsidian Entertainment's expertise, to create an evolved action-RPG experience. In addition to its arrival on high-def consoles for the first time, the game will also feature an all-new co-op multiplayer mode.

Originally created by Chris Taylor and his critically-acclaimed studio Gas Powered Games, Taylor will serve as an advisor during the development of the game. DUNGEON SIEGE 3 will seamlessly blend intuitive action gameplay and a robust RPG system in an immersive world where every decision the player makes will result in consequences.

On his involvement, Taylor comments, "It's a great pleasure to collaborate with Obsidian. They are a very talented developer who really knows what it takes to build a deep and engaging RPG experience, and I can't think of a better group to continue the DUNGEON SIEGE series."

"It's a distinct privilege and thrill to become a part of the DUNGEON SIEGE legacy," said Feargus Urquhart, CEO and Co-Founder of Obsidian Entertainment, Inc. "This partnership with Square Enix is a milestone for both Obsidian and the franchise, and the two companies' strengths for compelling characters and storytelling will shine throughout DUNGEON SIEGE 3."

"With their proven track record of developing some of the most exciting and engaging games in recent memory, we are honored to be working with such a talented developer as Obsidian Entertainment," said John Yamamoto, president and chief executive officer of Square Enix, Inc. "Square Enix is committed to expanding our portfolio of games across a wide variety of genres and we are confident we will deliver the ultimate DUNGEON SIEGE experience that fans are looking for."

About DUNGEON SIEGE 3

Story

Torn asunder, the delicate balance of power between the kingdom of Ehb's powerful factions has fallen apart. As one of the few remaining members of the disgraced protectors of the land, the 10th Legion, it is up to you to rebuild the once great Legion and stop Ehb from falling into darkness. Joined by a group of unique companions, you will travel through the striking land of Ehb defeating all manner of villains and beasts through a combination of heroic abilities, screen shaking magic and pure cunning.

DUNGEON SIEGE 3 seamlessly blends intuitive action gameplay, a robust RPG system featuring a large selection of abilities, an extensive multiplayer component and the depth of story Square Enix and Obsidian Entertainment are known for creating.

Features

* For the first time, play DUNGEON SIEGE on high-def consoles.
* Players will be able to adventure by themselves or with friends in co-op multiplayer.
* Uncover a deep story that only Square Enix and Obsidian Entertainment can deliver.
* Pick from unique and highly customizable character classes with a wide range of abilities to choose from.
* Recruit companions with unique personalities, abilities and views on the world around them.
* Players will have weighty decisions to make that will impact their alliances, enemies and the culmination of the story.

DUNGEON SIEGE 3 is not yet rated. Please visit the Entertainment Software Rating Board (ESRB) website at www.esrb.org for more information about ratings.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Maybe we can get an announcement that Firaxis is working on a turn based strategy game for Stardock next.

farnham

Banned
so this was project X :lol :lol

(for clarification. Not laughing because Dungeon Siege is bad or anything. I just expected a JRPG not a WRPG)

So this is the shocking game? IIRC Dungeon Siege is the thing that played the updated Ultima 5.

duckroll said:
Please, please, please translate the PR. Thanks.

It says something about history. It's just a remake of an old game. :(

Dead

well not really...yet
Les joueurs pourront partir à l'aventure sans quitter leur canapé, avec des amis ou en ligne pour une expérience totalement multijoueur.
Players will be able to play without leaving their Sofa.

:lol

Sacha

duckroll said:

Well, they're not saying much. Like I said, Obsidian will handle the development under Gas Powered Games' supervision. Square Enix will publish the game. They're talking about an all new four players co-op mode. Feargus Urquhart and John Yamamoto are pleased.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
duckroll said:
It's been quite a few years since I've taken French, but I can read a fair share of that.

I'm not sure if I should post what I think it says though since I might be slightly inaccurate.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Google translated.

SQUARE ENIX ANNOUNCES COLLABORATION WITH OBSIDIAN ENTERTAINMENT FOR DUNGEON SIEGE 3

The torch has been passed to this new incarnation of the classic action RPG

Levallois-Perret, June 7, 2010 - Square Enix, Inc.., Publisher of interactive entertainment SQUARE ENIX ® in North America, announced today its partnership with Obsidian Entertainment on DUNGEON SIEGE 3. Under the supervision of Gas Powered Games, creator of the first installment in the series, Obsidian Entertainment will develop the next installment in the franchise DUNGEON SIEGE, Square Enix taking the role of publisher. Available for the first time on a home console HD, DUNGEON SIEGE 3 will be released on the PlayStation ® 3 system, Xbox 360 ® from Microsoft and PC (Windows).

DUNGEON SIEGE 3 is representative of the partnership strategy recently implemented by Square Enix to developers and Western efforts to increase its presence in the North American market. The game will combine the best features of the franchise DUNGEON SIEGE expertise of Obsidian Entertainment, in order to change the experience of this action RPG. In addition to his first appearance on the HD consoles, the game will also feature a new cooperative mode, allowing four players to join.

"It is an honor and a pleasure to be part of the legend of DUNGEON SIEGE," said Feargus Urquhart, CEO and co-founder of Obsidian Entertainment. This partnership with Square Enix is a milestone for the franchise and Obsidian, and the qualities of both companies in terms of scenario will be visible throughout the game "

Originally created by Chris Taylor and his critically acclaimed studio Gas Powered Games ®, the game will be developed under the supervision of Taylor. Combining intuitive gameplay action game with a system of role-playing game that has proven DUNGEON SIEGE 3 will take place in an immersive world where every decision you make have consequences.

"We are honored to work with talented developers Obsidian Entertainment, which can rely on their balance sheets among the most exhilarating game and grabbing the last few years," said John Yamamoto, president and CEO of Square Enix, Inc.. Square Enix has committed to expand its catalog of games by offering a wide range of genres and we're confident we can provide the ultimate experience of DUNGEON SIEGE that fans expect. "

About DUNGEON SIEGE 3

History

The delicate balance between the powerful factions of the kingdom of Ehb was lost with the collapse of the latter. You play as one of the last protectors of the kingdom fell into disgrace, the Tenth Legion, and you're the only one who can unify the land and prevent Ehb plunge into darkness. Joined by a unique group of companions, you will travel through the beautiful land of Ehb to combat all kinds of monsters and villains by combining your knowledge of weapons, you and your magic trick.
DUNGEON SIEGE 3 combines an intuitive gameplay action game, a role-play well rounded offering a wide range of expertise, an extensive multiplayer mode and a scenario worthy of the most intense headlines Square Enix and Obsidian Entertainment.
Characteristic
• For the first time, playing on a console DUNGEON SIEGE HD
• Players can go on an adventure without leaving their couch, with friends or online multi-player experience completely.
• Find intense a scenario worthy of the greatest productions Square Enix and Obsidian Entertainment
• Choose a character original and customizable with a variety of capacities among several classes available
• Recruit companions to the unique personality that react to the alliances and enmities
• Players will see their environment change depending on the choices they make

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Sh...Should I be excited?

Square :\

duckroll said:

higlights of the pr:

- 4 players co-op
- enviromental changes based on your decisions
- many classes you can choose from for your character
- recruit allies during the game (it implies a dialogue system)

thats' it.

it goes on about SE and its strive to gather to the NA market and useless shit like that.

duckroll

Sounds like Obsidian is definitely bringing their experience with branching storylines and consequences of player actions to the franchise at least. Still not sure what to think. I am shocked! :lol

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
farnham said:
so this was project X :lol :lol

(for clarification. Not laughing because Dungeon Siege is bad or anything. I just expected a JRPG not a WRPG)
Thinking about it, Square Enix is now publishing two major WRPGS (Dungeon Siege and Deus Ex).

Given the total number of WRPGs that tend to be in development, this is actually one of the larger line-ups in the industry.

Reknoc

Not all that shocking. I guess Obsidian working on it is somewhat surprising.

Maybe I should install my copy of Dungeon Seige 2 I have lying around somewhere.

dramatis

Nirolak said:
Thinking about it, Square Enix is now publishing two major WRPGS (Dungeon Siege and Deus Ex).

Given the total number of WRPGs that tend to be in development, this is actually one of the larger line-ups in the industry.

Not too bad, actually. I thought that the major two, Bioware and Bethesda, would take over the world. And yet here is SE propping Obsidian up.

Pooya

• Find intense a scenario worthy of the greatest productions Square Enix and Obsidian Entertainment
Does not compute but I hope it's true. I hope this isn't a UE3 game(AP is a mess) and they use their own Onyx engine instead. Anyway Obsidian >>>>> Chris Taylor/GPG.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Wow, I remember kind of liking DS2.

First Obsidian game I couldn't care less about. This franchise should of died after it's first instalment, have no idea how it's still around whilst Titan Quest is nowhere to be seen.

Johann

I knew it was Dungeon Siege 3. Or Square-Enix buying out Gas Powered.

duckroll said:

Nothing too big: consoles!, super-duper collaboration, multiplayer focus, etc.

The most interesting thing is that there will be choice and consequence in this entry. The last two games were straight forward hack n' slash games. The series' quests might have branching paths due to Obsidian's involvement.

derFeef

Spirit of Jazz said:
First Obsidian game I couldn't care less about. This franchise should of died after it's first instalment, have no idea how it's still around whilst Titan Quest is nowhere to be seen.
Titan Quest was a D clone, Dungeon Siege brought some neat ideas. Part 1 at least.
To each its own I guess.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Well, GPG has been in kind of a rut ever since Space Siege (Demigod, SC2 followed). Hope they can come out of it for this outing.

Peff

I hope Obsidian gets the manpower and resources they need from SE but I get a feeling Squeenix might try to let the names behind the game carry it... we'll see, but definitely on my radar.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Peff said:
I hope Obsidian gets the manpower and resources they need from SE but I get a feeling Squeenix might try to let the names behind the game carry it... we'll see, but definitely on my radar.

Resources as in several programming and QA miracles?

I wonder who the creative director and the writers are on this. Is it Ziets?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
duckroll said:
You take that back. :(((((((((((((((((((((((

It's true isn't it? :(
It's kind of debatable if you can call working on a somewhat mediocre niche franchise from a halfway bankrupt developer "sloppy thirds".

Perhaps fourths is more appropriate. :p

derFeef said:
Titan Quest was a D clone, Dungeon Siege brought some neat ideas. Part 1 at least.
To each its own I guess.

Titan Quest was a masterfully executed D clone with a interesting skill system. Dungeon Siege was a terrible D clone with the a dull party system and the worst character building I've seen in a genre that revolves around developing your character.

I'm worried about Obsidian though, it's almost as though they're taking on too many projects needlessly and could be pulling a GRIN. Don't see why they don't stay away from working on anything until Fallout's released given it's financial success is nigh inevitable and think about their options from there.

Top Bottom