• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square-Enix announces financial results for FY 2017 (record sales and profits)

Although the IO Interactive situation is certainly "bad news", financially speaking S-E is doing very well.

This is their best result ever in terms of Net Revenue, Operating Income (beating FY 2010), Ordinary Income and Net Income:

WESyydj.png

FFXV, Rise of the Tomb Raider and smartphone games like "FF Brave Exvius" and "Hoshi no Dragon Quest" were the biggest contributors. Segments like Publication and Merchadising also had increases in Operating Profit:

Source: http://www.hd.square-enix.com/eng/news/pdf/17q4earnings.pdf

Amir0x

Banned
Fuck Sony fans why did you have to buy Rise of the Tomb Raider garbage bin trash vomit from hell

you played yourselves :mad:

Nice! The success is well deserved. Though certainly flawed, FF XV was great (and continues to get better with patches and new content) and they've done a nice job building up their portfolio of compelling Western IPs (but RIP Hitman, that's terrible) to complement that killer Final Fantasy/Dragon Quest/Kingdom Hearts/ trio on the Japanese side.

Theatrhythm Final Fantasy: All-Star Carnival for Switch when?

Amir0x

Banned
I hope FFXV gets the updates required to make it into the game I hoped it would be. They still have a roadmap to get there with patches, right? Where are they at currently? Didn't want to continue playing it until they have them all out, since they are apparently adding cutscenes and story elements. Really crazy they are rewarded for these sorts of things, but Hitman friggin' has to go the way of the Dodo under Square :(

To be fair, it was constantly on sale (both retail and digital) for $30.
OniBaka said:
Because I didn't want to buy an xb1

would you download a digital copy of a steaming pile of shit just because it was on sale for $29.99?

:mad:

FFXV seems to have made a shit load of money for the company. Justifies giving it to Tabata although they could have given him some more time.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I'm looking forward to the spin how FFXV is claimed to be a money pit hole for Square Enix.

Fuck Sony fans why did you have to buy Rise of the Tomb Raider garbage bin trash vomit from hell

It's inevitable as TR is one of those franchises that PS gamers grew up with and still love. And i'm sure it would've done even better had it not been delayed a year on the platform.

theofficefan99

FFXV seems to have made a shit load of money for the company. Justifies giving it to Tabata although they could have given him some more time.

Oh, please. It's a mainline FF that also garnered hype from a previous iteration of itself. Tabata being the director had nothing to do with the game selling.

Toki767

would you download a digital copy of a steaming pile of shit just because it was on sale for $29.99?

:mad:

I mean I didn't buy it myself. Mostly cause I didn't like it when I played it on my Xbox One.

But the game constantly went for half off less than a month after release. Of course people were going to buy it.

Any indications of how well their MMOs are doing?

In the area of massively multiplayer online role playing games, revenues from operation has been showing steady performance while net sales and operating income declined significantly compared to the prior fiscal year mainly due to the absence of expansion disk releases during the fiscal year ended March 31, 2017.

Since there'll be new expansions for both FFXIV and DQX during this FY, performance is going to substantially increase again.

score01

If it makes you feel any better, I still haven't bought it. Will definitely be a used copy purchase at some point down the line.

theofficefan99

He finished the game on time and on budget. Can't sell a game that is vaporware.

Because he was forced to have it out in 2016. And it shows. Blatantly. Congrats I guess? Still literally no reason to thank Tabata for XV's sales.

And before you even think about thanking Tabata for his resource management I'll just refer 99% of the game's marketing to you (aka footage of stuff that never made it into the game), plus his plans for the game's future, like an Avatar character and multiplayer.

Because he was forced to have it out in 2016. And it shows. Blatantly. Congrats I guess? Still literally no reason to thank Tabata for XV's sales.
So the game would've sold without it even releasing and without a director?
Why does gaf abandon common sense at the thought of ffxv? Its like tabata mass murdered everyone's dogs.
Dont like the game? Great, take it up with the guy who didn't deliver what he promised instead of the guy salvaging the project.

Slater

Banned
Oh, please. It's a mainline FF that also garnered hype from a previous iteration of itself. Tabata being the director had nothing to do with the game selling.

Do you just camp out waiting to make extremely bitchy comments in any thread that mentions XV/Tabata in even a vaguely positive light?

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
I didn't end up caring much for FFXV, but I'm a Final Fantasy lover 'til I drop, I guess, because I was still cheering for the folks who do dig it. Happy for Tabata and the gang. Just hoping to see an FF title I truly enjoy again someday. XV could have been that game if it had about... oh... thrice as many cutscenes. <_<;

I definitely like the game more than its predecessor though. (XIII I mean. No beef with XIV.)

As for Tomb Raider... is a third installment being worked-on? Or are all hands on deck for Marvel fare?

theofficefan99

So the game would've sold without it even releasing and without a director?
Why does gaf abandon common sense at the thought of ffxv? Its like tabata mass murdered everyone's dogs.
Dont like the game? Great, take it up with the guy who didn't deliver what he promised instead of the guy salvaging the project.

Whether they handed the game over to Tabata or a random guy across the street the game had to be out at the end of 2016.

If you're thanking Tabata for releasing the game, despite being unfinished and (expletives), then yes, you have a point.

But thanking Tabata for the game selling well? It's a mainline FF. And FFXV rode on Versus XIII/Omen/E3 2013 hype aka stuff not at all representative of the actual final product.

And I definitely don't consider it a success in terms of reception.

I didn't end up caring much for FFXV, but I'm a Final Fantasy lover 'til I drop, I guess, because I was still cheering for the folks who do dig it. Happy for Tabata and the gang. Just hoping to see an FF title I truly enjoy again someday. XV could have been that game if it had about... oh... thrice as many cutscenes. <_<;

I definitely like the game more than its predecessor though. (XIII I mean. No beef with XIV.)

As for Tomb Raider... is a third installment being worked-on? Or are all hands on deck for Marvel fare?

Pretty sure a second team at Eidos Montreal is working on the third Tomb Raider game. The one that leaked last year (Shadow of the Tomb Raider I think?)

Mister Wolf

And before you even think about thanking Tabata for his resource management I'll just refer 99% of the game's marketing to you (aka footage of stuff that never made it into the game), plus his plans for the game's future, like an Avatar character and multiplayer.

At least he actually made a game unlike Nomura. I dont even like XV but it exists for me to not like and not fucking vaporware like Versus XIII.

ZeoVGM

Banned

"How dare you people buy a video game I didn't like, despite the positive reviews and overall good response from gamers."

Tizoc

It is the arrow flinging man
Flinging arrws onto people's faces is fun in video games
Plus in Rice of Tom Braider you get to fling explosive arrows, poison arrows and fire arrows for quadriple the fun and mayhem

Is all this really necessary?
Edit- ah i can see why he is upset about it, but i do agree they needn't phrase it like that :x

Amir0x

Banned
*remove so to not further derail*

Anyway, other than RotTR being a disappointment and my sorrow that Square/CD was rewarded for that farce, I'm glad that FFXV did well enough for Square since there was that comment that if it was a bomb it might have been the last mainline FF for a while. Even though it was clearly unfinished upon release, that would have been a bad outcome since they experiment enough from entry to entry that you never know what will be released.

It just seems especially painful that these games are what they are primarily rewarded for, and then Hitman - a game that actually begins to understand what made the franchise great without abandoning its core foundation and is lauded pretty much everywhere - is summarily dismissed by gamers. Showing gamers always suck at choosing :mad:

duckroll said:
Is all this really necessary?

I mean I am genuinely expressing my disappointment that they were rewarded AGAIN for ruining that game which seems relevant in a financial thread especially versus what they are not rewarding with things like Hitman, although I didn't mean for a zillion people to quote me on it though. Apologies for expressing my frustration here and the resulting derail. I'll remove any further expression of disappointment there so it doesn't go further.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
I'm curious to know if they're going to milk FFXV further or not. It would be nice to have a sequel or prequel while waiting for the next big thing.

Top Bottom