• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square-Enix announces financial results for FY 2017 (record sales and profits)

Im among ones to blame for rotr.
Got it for 40 day 1 and my god what a piece of turd it was. And i actually loved part 1.
It was a tryhard uncharted without any of the good directions that comes with the series and with tacked aaa everygame elements like levelling up, pointless shit to collect all over the map etc..
Easily the worst combination of bad storytelling, pacing and game design ive seen in a while

Ray Down

Banned
I'm curious to know if they're going to milk FFXV further or not. It would be nice to have a sequel or prequel while waiting for the next big thing.

They already said no sequel or prequel at least by BD2 since there on DLC and the new IP.

Capitalism as its worst, they have a group if very talented developers, Hitman isn't doing well? try another IP/ build a new franchise, but no they choose the easy and most shortsighted way.

To be fair, it's not like they are dismantling the studio. They are selling it off. It's essentially saying "we know these guys are talented, but we can't afford to invest in them right now so we'll find someone who can".

At the end of the day, you have to make money to continue making games, and if IO's not making money then the math just doesn't work.

Ray Down

Banned
and
Capitalism as its worst, they have a group of some very talented developers, Hitman isn't doing well? try another IP/ build a new franchise, but no they choose the easy and most shortsighted way.

Reception wise sure did great, sales wise it didn't light up the market at least.

And above, at least its not closed hopefully they find a buyer.

benzy

I'm curious to know if they're going to milk FFXV further or not. It would be nice to have a sequel or prequel while waiting for the next big thing.

No sequels. All of XV supporting content and updates should be out by end of the year according to the dev, and they might do a second round of post-launch content. Business Division 2 is also getting ready for a new IP, so they'll probably work on XV content + PC version until that goes into full production.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
and
Capitalism as its worst, they have a group of some very talented developers, Hitman isn't doing well? try another IP/ build a new franchise, but no they choose the easy and most shortsighted way.

This isn't really a charity.

No matter how talented you are, if it doesn't sell: it doesn't sell.

Hitman Absolution also didn't reach its target sales: http://www.hd.square-enix.com/eng/news/pdf/130326slides.pdf

Despite the high critical acclaim, failed to meet each target.

Gurish

To be fair, it's not like they are dismantling the studio. They are selling it off. It's essentially saying "we know these guys are talented, but we can't afford to invest in them right now so we'll find someone who can".

At the end of the day, you have to make money to continue making games, and if IO's not making money then the math just doesn't work.

But they are making tons of money, more than they ever fucking did according to the FY2017 financial results, so how can they not afford to invest in them?

Toki767

But they are making tons of money, more than they ever fucking did according to the financial results, so how can they not afford to invest in them?

It's not that they couldn't invest in them.

It's just that they'd rather invest in something else.

Amir0x

Banned
That Visualworks CG trailer with those nuns was very expensive I hear.

And didn't that trailer stir up some controversy for the game too? Which they were almost forced to apologize for?

Ah, yeah, I remember. Such a waste. Like I wasn't a big fan of Absolution, but it seems to me the foundation of the original games+Absolution led us to the amazing episodic games. Too little too late though I guess...

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
If they are making so much money and break profits record than why selling IO? :(

Because
large.jpg

Fredrik

*remove so to not further derail*

Anyway, other than RotTR being a disappointment and my sorrow that Square/CD was rewarded for that farce, I'm glad that FFXV did well enough for Square since there was that comment that if it was a bomb it might have been the last mainline FF for a while. Even though it was clearly unfinished upon release, that would have been a bad outcome since they experiment enough from entry to entry that you never know what will be released.

It just seems especially painful that these games are what they are primarily rewarded for, and then Hitman - a game that actually begins to understand what made the franchise great without abandoning its core foundation and is lauded pretty much everywhere - is summarily dismissed by gamers. Showing gamers always suck at choosing :mad:

I mean I am genuinely expressing my disappointment that they were rewarded AGAIN for ruining that game which seems relevant in a financial thread especially versus what they are not rewarding with things like Hitman, although I didn't mean for a zillion people to quote me on it though. Apologies for expressing my frustration here and the resulting derail. I'll remove any further expression of disappointment there so it doesn't go further.
Rise of the Tomb Raider was great, what are you talking about?? Best bow action outside of BOTW and great exploration. One of my top 10 favorite games this generation.

Slater

Banned
Do "FFXV was a bomb" people still exist?

Sure do, just gotta wait a bit maybe Squire will come in to explain why the sales weren't great again, or maybe Dramatis will make another uninformed drive by post like the XV NPD thread, they never did answer for that after all.

But they are making tons of money, more than they ever fucking did according to the FY2017 financial results, so how can they not afford to invest in them?

It's not that they literally couldn't afford it, it's that they can't afford to do it when the other option is to not do it and have higher profit margins.

I mean I am genuinely expressing my disappointment that they were rewarded AGAIN for ruining that game which seems relevant in a financial thread especially versus what they are not rewarding with things like Hitman, although I didn't mean for a zillion people to quote me on it though. Apologies for expressing my frustration here and the resulting derail. I'll remove any further expression of disappointment there so it doesn't go further.

You mean shitting on other people for wanting to buy a game?

Frumix

Suffering From Success
They do.

Its one of there biggest titles consistently specially this year with an expansion.

Yet they consistently complain that they're understaffed in a not-so-thinly-veiled way and volume of content has been decreasing since release rather than improving.

Although I don't think this has anything to do with lack of funds and everything with where they're going with the game. Because it makes so much sense to just put millions into a CG reel that they'll play to hype the hell out of the game for fanboys and then bankroll the actual game with whatever.

Sounds like SE to me.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
2016 was a pretty packed year for Square Enix so its not surprising to see they did well. Hope they continue to do well and are back on track.

bigol

When will the Tabata vs Nomura's vision war end? Can't you just be happy that Square Enix will use this money to develop a new Final Fantasy that hopefully will be much better than XV?

I say give merits to Tabata that managed to complete (in a few years) a game that was a trainweck even before he started development.

Chobel

Why wouldn't it? It sold well on XB1 of course a complete edition release is going to do well on PS4.

First it didn't perform well on XB1, it sold way below TR 2013.
Second, PS4 version sold worse than XB1 version (Judging by PAL and NPD)

Gurish

Huh, RoTTR PS4 version sold well? How?

PS players love TR, it almost feels like a PS franchise in a way, they waited for a discount since it came late but SE was smart enough to cut the price fast and people jumped all over it once the price was justified, that's why the deal with MS made no sense, obviously the next TR would release on PS4 as well.

pezzie

Glad to hear FFXV doing well. The game may have been a hot, unfinished mess that needed another half year or year of development, but I can't deny that it was the most fun I've had with a Final Fantasy game in nearly a decade. Well, the 3 months I spent with FFXIV ARR launch was pretty great too.

gtj1092

That's great. Mobile and FFXV both doing well means hopefully more AAA RPGs and big things for DQ11.

Seems like each time we get one of these earnings reports it reaffirms my belief that when someone says a company is doing horrible business it means "not making games for my platform of choice".

FinalAres

Because he was forced to have it out in 2016. And it shows. Blatantly. Congrats I guess? Still literally no reason to thank Tabata for XV's sales.

And before you even think about thanking Tabata for his resource management I'll just refer 99% of the game's marketing to you (aka footage of stuff that never made it into the game), plus his plans for the game's future, like an Avatar character and multiplayer.
Haha you're that GameFAQs troll.

First it didn't perform well on XB1, it sold way below TR 2013.
Second, PS4 version sold worse than XB1 version (Judging by PAL and NPD)

Just because Square list it as one of the key profit drivers among its console releases for last fiscal year doesn't mean it's selling as well as TR2013.

Without numbers shared, it's a contextual info for us to understand that its performed well enough to be highlighted as part of their fiscal reporting.

And while it's doubtful Square wanted things to turn out the way it did, it bears remembering that ROTR's dev time is like... 50-60% shorter than TR2013.

Fuck Sony fans why did you have to buy Rise of the Tomb Raider garbage bin trash vomit from hell

you played yourselves :mad:

(...) why would you download a digital copy of a steaming pile of shit just because it was on sale for $29.99?

:mad:

The gaming community repeatedly fails us all, supporting such trash. We deserve our worst outcomes :(

wow, I think you have make your point already

On topic: I'm glad to hear both FF XV and RoTR did well. Very sad news about IOI. Hopefully someone will get a good deal out of this, I think they have proved themselves as a very competent studio with their latest project

Fraxin

Give yoshida and 14 the resources he fucking deserves SE.

No. Give Yoshi-P FFXVI.

His team from Narrative and world building to music composing and art direction has proved themselves more than worthy enough to handle a new FF.
And let Matsuno write the story.

When will the Tabata vs Nomura's vision war end? Can't you just be happy that Square Enix will use this money to develop a new Final Fantasy that hopefully will be much better than XV?

I say give merits to Tabata that managed to complete (in a few years) a game that was a trainweck even before he started development.
You are giving Tabata too much credit man. All he did was take an unfinished mess of a game, assembled a team, developed it within time and budget, and made it one of the fastest selling FF. But you know, it was all marketing by SE and the marketing department even made the game thus Tabata shouldn't be given any credit. Heck when bad trailers were released, it was all Tabata's fault but when some good trailer was released, it was thanks to marketing.

The bottom line is that Tabata is terrible and Nomura is god. It was his work on Versus that sold so many copies of FFXV because Versus fans were hoping it was Nomura's game even though Tabata repeatedly stated it wasn't and was clear in what was changed and removed.

Ugh
God I need to go back to FFXIV.
Amazing game I'm just buried.
Havnt even finished the base campaign and started HW.
And ill still preorder stormblood

And fuck it I'll give Hitman season 1 a shot.
How's it on PC?

ratsuki

Well, in the end of day Gaming industry is still business, and its purpose is to make money. When something didn't make them revenue, decision have to be made. As a company they can't continue bearing financial loss because it will affect their other IP and they have responsibility to shareholders. Talking about starting new IP is easy, but I believe the actual decision making and risk taking are not, what with millions of dollars and people jobs on the line. At least from IOI response it seems SE didn't leave them to dry.

I'm in liking FFXV camp, but I hope not. Their previous track records with sequel/prequel didn't instill confidence. I hope they wrap FFXV stuff this year as planned, then start the hype gear for FFVIIR and use it to keep the fanbase satisfied for few years while peacefully develop XVI in the meantime.

I'm in liking FFXV camp, but I hope not. Their previous track records with sequel/prequel didn't instill confidence. I hope they wrap FFXV stuff this year as planned, then start the hype gear for FFVIIR and use it to keep the fanbase satisfied for few years while peacefully develop XVI in the meantime.
The original plan for FFXV was to create a trilogy of games but thankfully it was dropped okce Tabata came on board. Right now, the priority is on delivering season pass dlc and post-launch free updates. I doubt they will make a sequel but I wouldn't rule out a small spin-off from a different team.

I'm amazed they found commercial success with the PS4 version of Tom Braider Has Risen. I know that franchise has its strongest ties to the PlayStation brand, but I figured delaying that particular version for a whole year and releasing it in October would've killed the game dead in its tracks.

MilkBeard

I want that full fledged prequel with crew that is not the free game on the stores

Yeah, they could make a spinoff with Regis and crew and I would eat it up.

Anyway, glad they are having success. Even though the game could use more polish and more time in the oven, FF XV has been consistently fun for me, and some of the ideas were really cool, even if not fleshed out to my liking.

I've yet to play RotTR but I have it and will be playing it sometime soon.

People hating at Tomb Raiders sales are crazy...I think SE made a bad business decision to have temporary exclusive with it but that doesn't change it got good reviews, was received well and has always been popular with Playstation fans. To wish for it to have done badly is ridiculously bitter.

Top Bottom