• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square-Enix announces financial results for FY 2017 (record sales and profits)

Chobel

Just because Square list it as one of the key profit drivers among its console releases for last fiscal year doesn't mean it's selling as well as TR2013.

Without numbers shared, it's a contextual info for us to understand that its performed well enough to be highlighted as part of their fiscal reporting.

And while it's doubtful Square wanted things to turn out the way it did, it bears remembering that ROTR's dev time is like... 50-60% shorter than TR2013.

Fair enough.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
The hate for RoTR PS4 is really bizarre on the first page.

RoTR is a great game and probably one of the earliest showpiece titles for the Pro. Good the game sold well even after a year. Same for FFXV. The development time the game has had and how well the end product managed to come out, SE deserves it selling well.

Fuck Sony fans why did you have to buy Rise of the Tomb Raider garbage bin trash vomit from hell

you played yourselves :mad:

While your opinion cannot be refuted and i appreciate it, rise of the tomb raider is hardly the caliber of title to deserve such a harsh insult?

This seems like something better suited to steam greenlight trash and the dark spaces of the google play store.

The hate for RoTR PS4 is really bizarre on the first page.

RoTR is a great game and probably one of the earliest showpiece titles for the Pro. Good the game sold well even after a year. Same for FFXV. The development time the game has had and how well the end product managed to come out, SE deserves it selling well.

Yep. I think it sold well among ps4 pro buyers. And showed that those microsoft exclusive deals can be damaging to a title. I would be surprised if another publisher is as eager after what happened with tokb raider 2 on xb1.

Shredderi

I just have a hard time believing that Hitman was super expensive (relatively) because it didn't have bombastic set pieces or big emphasis on expensive super well animated cutscenes etc. It has a very good quality and nice visuals but just doesn't strike me as a super expensive game like big open world games or RotR type games. I don't think Hitman was cheap, obviously not. I'm just super salty.

Toth

I'm looking forward to the spin how FFXV is claimed to be a money pit hole for Square Enix.

As am I.

The fact remains that Tabata, despite questionable directorial skills, rescued a project Nomura failed to deliver and turned it into a very successful, if flawed product, Yes, FF XV could have been more but unfortunately, the product needed to be released sooner rather than later.

Aalvi

RoTR was one of the only games I was pretty meh and bored throughout all the story and cinematic drama.

Probably going to stop buying the games going forward

That being said I hope for the best for Square, just opting out on that one IP.

Shredderi

As am I.

The fact remains that Tabata, despite questionable directorial skills, rescued a project Nomura failed to deliver and turned it into a very successful, if flawed product, Yes, FF XV could have been more but unfortunately, the product needed to be released sooner rather than later.

I'm not surprised tbh. I mean we see mediocre games sell gangbusters all the time and great games bomb.

Loona

No. Give Yoshi-P FFXVI.

His team from Narrative and world building to music composing and art direction has proved themselves more than worthy enough to handle a new FF.
And let Matsuno write the story.

Just relieve Yoshida of his responsibilities of games he's not involved with, like the non-XIV MMOs - putting him in charge of Division 5 is just going to stunt the sustainability or growth of the other games, since he's so strongly associated with one of them.

If that means giving his his own single-player FF, so be it - I'm curious to see how he'd handle managing a new project from scratch instead of correcting issues with a flawed one and pumping it full of references to beloved games.

Amir0x

Banned
Are you high? RotTR is far from the greatest game ever made, but it's a pretty good time, especially at $30.

maybe if I had no memory of the actual original it was replacing to become the latest derivative AAA slog I'd think so too :(

Anyway dont want to keep focusing on that I said my piece, I just hope Hitman finds a way to come back. It'd be too tragic if that is the game that suffers after the amazing episodic titles.

Toth

I like Yoshi a lot but his handling of FFXIV post ARR (basically relying too much on FF nostalgia and failing to be innovating/ original past the WoW model) does give me some pause as to how well he would do on an offline title. I am hopeful Stormblood proves me very wrong though.

Thabass

Give yoshida and 14 the resources he fucking deserves SE.

Holy Christmas this. The man got me into MMORPGs. I HATED MMORPGs until FFXIV: A Realm Reborn. Now I want to play more of them. Hell, it might even get me into WoW.

The fact is, Yoshida is so good at designing and being meticulous when it comes to his games, that he'd be a perfect candidate for the next main Final Fantasy game. After Stormblood, he should go into a reduced role with FFXIV and then start a new project for Square.

Come on Square, do the right thing.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Huh, RoTTR PS4 version sold well? How?

This is the first thing that came to mind as well.

I remember all those saying it was going to sell poorly on PS4 with the XBO 1 year exclusivity.

I'm presuming what's wrong with RotTR is the fact that it was timed exclusive on XB1

Just read this before posting.

This is an interesting situation.

Falchion

Seems like a ton of people waited to play Rise on PS4. I've actually got both copies so I guess Square got it from me in both of their past fiscal years.

They do.

Its one of there biggest titles consistently specially this year with an expansion.

Heavenward had cut backs in terms of dungeons, designs, and patch delays compared to 2.0 that killed a ton of momentum. The first raid tier of HW cycle nearly killed the raiding scene because if it's insane difficulty. Hell, they admitted their testers hadn't even beat the final fight legitimately from start to finish before the shipped it.

Going to 2 dunegons a cycle was a big mistake along with some questionable minigames focus.

Gurish

I'm amazed they found commercial success with the PS4 version of Tom Braider Has Risen. I know that franchise has its strongest ties to the PlayStation brand, but I figured delaying that particular version for a whole year and releasing it in October would've killed the game dead in its tracks.

It got discounted to 30$ pretty quickly, I guess that the majority of PS players didn't buy it at full price but they felt that 30$ is a fair price for a "GOTY" version of a year old game so it probably sold lots of copies during those sales.

Like you said it's a very beloved franchise and most of its fans are on Playstation, that's why that deal didn't make any sense and that's why it won't happen again with this franchise.

Wanderer5

Well I am glad that TR is in a good spot for now, and not like what Deus Ex and Hitman are currently going through.... Rise had some glaring issues, but I felt it was still going on the right track, and the new content that came alongside the PS4 version were excellent (well maybe not Lara's Nightmares, but everything else was).

Top Bottom