• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix announces redesigned FFX|V - A Realm Reborn [PS3/PC "Soon"]

salromano

tBLko.jpg

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJOPTJ-7-_s

Press Release

LOS ANGELES (July 26, 2012) – Square Enix, Inc., the publishers of SQUARE ENIX® interactive entertainment products in the Americas, announced today the fully-redesigned, massively multiplayer online adventure FINAL FANTASY® XIV: A Realm Reborn™. Previously referenced as “version 2.0,” this title has been rebuilt from the ground up, and centers on the core concept of rebirth, featuring a new world to explore and storyline to experience.

FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn offers visually-stunning graphics and game design that appeal to both Windows PC and PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system players.

“Since announcing our plans for the future of the title last October, we have been working tirelessly to include all of the elements that we have promised in FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn. This new title not only becomes a symbol of a completely new FINAL FANTASY XIV, but also marks the beginning of a new stage as the latest title in the FINAL FANTASY series. I hope you’re looking forward to it!” said Naoki Yoshida, producer/director of FINAL FANTASY XIV.

A new website dedicated to FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn (http://www.finalfantasyxiv.com/) also went live today, which offers background information on the realm of Eorzea, its inhabitants and the much larger world of Hydaelyn. The website will also serve as the central location for regular updates and news about the game.

Players are invited to visit the official Facebook™ page (https://www.facebook.com/FinalFantasyXIV) and participate in the official forum at http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com. Also, the FINAL FANTASY XIV YouTube page features the new launch trailer.

Kagari, edit the OP with the following so people will stop complaining about the title:

xa3jc.png

And while you're at it, add these images too, so people will see some 2.0 in-game shots.

This has been a long time coming. Ever since Yoshi-P came on board he's been extremely genuine in showing how much he wants to improve the game. I'm willing to give it another chance solely because of him and how hard his team have been working, and how transparent and honest they've been.

FYI: The subscription is still $15 unless you got the Legacy status. There will be a new free trial period when 2.0 launches.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I still find the initial misfire to be so, so amazing (in a bad way).

Surely this is the biggest public misfire a major video game company has actually copped to?

So, are they still keeping that time limit restriction thing? I don't remember the details about it, but when it launched all I know was that there was a huge back-lash from fans regarding its restrictions on the player.

DMB4237

Neo Member
Wow the scenes from that trailer were moving a million miles a minute.

Hopefully, they do manage to salvage it. Would be a shame after the success that was FFXI.

Ponn

Banned
I'm usually pretty good at keeping up with Square craziness but this whole FFXIV debacle has got me confused enough to want to stay away from it. I see FFXIV up for preorder on Amazon with a placeholder date but didn't it already come out, PS3 I mean? Why re-release it, just patch it.

Seda

I'm usually pretty good at keeping up with Square craziness but this whole FFXIV debacle has got me confused enough to want to stay away from it. I see FFXIV up for preorder on Amazon with a placeholder date but didn't it already come out, PS3 I mean? Why re-release it, just patch it.

PS3 version hasn't been released, yet.

dramatis

Site for US is giving me a hilarious XML loading error.

Not a bad omen, I hope.

Why does only the American side suck.

warerare

Subscription free for PS+ subscribers would be awesome come on Sony/SquareEnix make it happen. Can you imagine the damage control MS would have to do for Xbox Live at that point?

earvcunanan said:
So, are they still keeping that time limit restriction thing? I don't remember the details about it, but when it launched all I know was that there was a huge back-lash from fans regarding its restrictions on the player.

That was always blown out of proportion and has been long gone.

Subscription free for PS+ subscribers would be awesome come on Sony/SquareEnix make it happen. Can you imagine the damage control MS would have to do for Xbox Live at that point?

it would be nice, but I just can't see S-E doing it.
They need to recoup some serious money over this little 'flub'.

Although some kind of PS+ bonus would be nice.

Einhander

I hope they modeled it after how Guild Wars works, where you can level up on your own, without having to rely on a party to do that. And solo content for players who would rather play on their own most of the time. I wanted to try this out for the original game, too, but I'll have to wait until I build a better rig to handle its performance.

Kokonoe

Banned

I didn't like that either, but it's gone now.

tyrone888

Neo Member
Too bad they messed up 1.0 so badly that even if this game is the greatest MMO ever, a large portion of the gaming population won't give it a second look. But you have to give some props to Square for trying their best to fix their rushed launch.

With that said, I'll wait a few months before I even think of trying it out.

N.A

Banned
Patch 1.23 went live today too and is pretty awesome.

One of the best things to happen to XIV since Yoshi-P took over is how "Final Fantasy" they have made it feel. It certainly feels more like FF than XIII...

Effect

Come on Square-Enix. Make it so I can mail in my Final Fantasy XIV disc and you ship me the new client in return.

Zalasta

I hope SE will succeed in the relaunch, because given the same situation, most developers would've cut their losses and folded a long time ago, but SE was determined on making things right for its audiences. Maybe it is stubborness, but regardless it was a stand rarely taken by this industry these days.

Effect

All you have to do is update your current version.

Unless I've heard wrong you'll be patching in a completely new client. Final Fantasy XIV (current) client is already huge to begin with. I'm not against patching but it will just take a few days to do so.

Wow, that trailer looks so stupid. It doesn't feel anything like FF. It feels like a generic Korean MMO trailer and the English voice is bad.

Did he just said it still come to PS3?

From the thread title I thought redesigned Final Fantasy X? Wait, no XV?, wait no, redesigned Final Fantasy X and V? wait no... let me just click on the thread.

LTWheels

From what I understand, this isn't a patch for the existing game client. You are actually download a whole new game. The data on the already released FFXIV discs will not be on 2.0 at all.

Angry Fork

CGI trailer...

Instead of showing people new gameplay/UI system and all that which is the entire point of the redesign but okay.

Top Bottom