• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix at Gamescom '15: FFXV headlines main stage, other "reveals" teased

Status
Not open for further replies.

Talax

Since Tomb Raider is Fall 2016 for PS4, is it possible for this to be Fall as well or are we looking at better chances for a summer 2016 now?

That moment when we saw the airship shedding it's armor

That moment when they showed Accordo for the first time

Seeing the long range warping for the first time

Seeing Leviathan

Seeing the quick cuts of the characters faces and then the whole cast as the music reached it's crescendo.

"The fifteenth coming"

God damn every moment was great.

Not just the best trailer for the game, possibly the best trailer I've ever seen for a game.

Still sad so much has changed since then, but excited to see more.

I don't really get the hate for the TGS 2014 trailer. Sure, it didn't have the same vibe as the earlier trailers, but it did give us several important things:

• An AMAZING song, easily one of the coolest pieces we've heard so far
  • A look at actual, honest-to-God gameplay instead of scripted, target-render stuff..
  • A stronger sense of the friendship, roadtrip, crazy-adventure vibe.

Ishida

Banned
I don't really get the hate for the TGS 2014 trailer. Sure, it didn't have the same vibe as the earlier trailers, but it did give us several important things:

• An AMAZING song, easily one of the coolest pieces we've heard so far
  • A look at actual, honest-to-God gameplay instead of scripted, target-render stuff..
  • A stronger sense of the friendship, roadtrip, crazy-adventure vibe.

It also gave us this majestic view.

ddmzpwweczo2bna8z4m3.jpg

Whompa02

The TGS 2014 trailer was great. Don't understand how it was any less impressive than the other ones. Yeah the E3 re-reveal was amazing, but this one was much more grounded. Different doesn't mean bad.

to be honest this was more wow worthy than any scene in a previous versus/xv trailer

And then the demo teaches how these battles will be played out with the Catoblepas...

And no, this was not more wow worthy than Noctis in the middle of a destroyed Accordo looking at Leviathan.

The only thing I can remember being wow-worthy in the TGS trailer is the one thing they couldn't fuck up, the music...

Hopefully Gamescom proves me wrong and they can make more than mediocre trailers...

Go_Ly_Dow

And then the demo teaches how these battles will be played out with the Catoblepas...

And no, this was not more wow worthy than Noctis in the middle of a destroyed Accordo looking at Leviathan.

The only thing I can remember being wow-worthy in the TGS trailer is the one thing they couldn't fuck up, the music...

Hopefully Gamescom proves me wrong and they can make more than mediocre trailers...

More than the Noctic/Stella stand-off? Or the very first trailer?

at the time all that stuff was impressive, but also CG that was never a real tangible feel for the game.

Koozek

I'm dying to know how the fuck we are going to fight that thing.

Probably like the Catoblepas, but longer. Camera zooms out and you just hack away at its feet for hours. I'm a bit concerned that large-scale battles could turn out to be rather dull :/ Hope they come up with a fun way for those and also reduce the number of enemies, no Musou please.
Can't wait to see the improvements since ED 2.0 soon.

Son Of D

Since Tomb Raider is Fall 2016 for PS4, is it possible for this to be Fall as well or are we looking at better chances for a summer 2016 now?

I'm guessing:

September/October for FFXV
November for Tomb Raider PS4
December to March for KH3

Gives each game at least a month then and prevents overlap.

I'm guessing:

I think September for XV makes sense. About a year of hard marketing and a final 2016 E3/Gamescom maybe TGS push.

I don't think they'd be starting marketing on the final game if it was more than a year out.

Go_Ly_Dow

S-E's profits for next year are going to look stupid
ly amazing

KH3 yes.

Tomb Raider and XV? Whos knows how much revenue they will really bring in.

Tomb Raider Reboot had a ridiculous over inflated budget (3.5mil not enough lol) and XV..... well enough said about that games development. (although the costs for Versus was probably written off as a sunk cost a long time ago.

Duscae fights suck because a little lack of something called magic.

See this...

1411907552-ffxv-magic.gif

I really can't wait to see how magic is handled in XV. I've never seen such impressive magic slung so casually in a game.

That said, I'll reserve my judgement on whether or not it will fix combat issues. The behemoth and catoblepas fights need a lot more work than just being shorter.

Attack its toe for 6 hours to win.

Basically like Yiazmat from XII =P

I think the big turtles from XIII are some of the best big enemy fights in modern FF. A number of creative strategies that can work with different team setups, fight only takes a few minutes and is fairly tense. Of course, after the 500th time you drop one for farming you definitely wish for some other similarly scaled super bosses.

Philippo

I'm guessing:

IMHO:

May to September for FFXV
September to November for DQXI for the 30th anniversary (JP only)
November for Tomb Raider
December for Hitman and Project Setsuna (JP only)
Spring 2017 for KHIII for the 15th anniversary
Summer 2017 for Dissidia PS4 and DQXI
Fall 2017 for FFVIIr for 20th anniversary and Project Setsuna

See this...

Can't wait to see all the various weather and magic effects in this game, so good

IMHO:

November for Tomb Raider
Summer 2017 for Dissidia PS4 and DQXI

What about Dragon Quest Heroes 2, Dragon Quest Builders and World of Final Fantasy?

So many games =O

Sami+

Since (and including) TGS '14 I feel like the marketing has totally lost the dark, dramatic tone Nomura very clearly established in all of his trailers all the way from 2006 to E3 2013. I want to see that return and focus less on the buddy buddy road trip adventure.

Philippo

What about Dragon Quest Heroes 2, Dragon Quest Builders and World of Final Fantasy?

So many games =O

And Deus Ex.

Ok i'll try and see where the others could fit:

Early 2016 DQ Builders (JP)
Spring Deus Ex and World of FF
Summer DQHII (JP) and FF Dissidia Arcade
November for Tomb Raider
Early 2017 DQHII and DQ Builders for the West
Summer 2017 for Dissidia PS4 and DQXI (West)

Ma, we're talking about potentially 10+ titles released in a little more than a 2 years span.

I hope they'll have something more for after or people will start complaining lol

Can't wait to see all the various weather and magic effects in this game, so good

On that note, I'd also like to see the summon system expanded upon a bit more. Duscae's obvious high point was Ramuh, though the method used to summon him was less than thrilling for some, myself included.

Tabata later said that Ramuh's parameters were something that was specific to Duscae, so I'm chomping at the bit to find out how summons really work in the full game. I hope there's a way to deliberately summon them, because hot damn Ramuh made me a believer that these could be the best in the series so far.

raven777

Since (and including) TGS '14 I feel like the marketing has totally lost the dark, dramatic tone Nomura very clearly established in all of his trailers all the way from 2006 to E3 2013. I want to see that return and focus less on the buddy buddy road trip adventure.

I feel same. But the road trip concept was there since Nomura's time, and I am sure the current XV will have dark/dramatic tone as well. It's just what they focused to show on the trailers that was different imo. And now that Nomura won't be involved with the trailers, I doubt we will get the old vibe back from the future trailers either.

November for Tomb Raider

Ma, we're talking about potentially 10+ titles released in a little more than a 2 years span.

I hope they'll have something more for after or people will start complaining lol

Can't wait for next year. Square is going all in.

Ray Down

Banned

But even Nomura has said the game would mostly be about brotherhood and the boys road trip to get the crystal.

Son Of D

November for Tomb Raider

Won't be surprised if we get another XIV expansion mixed in there too. SE really going in for the next few years. Also Nier 2 is missing from that, which I'm guessing will be mid 2017.

See this...

Throwing that in an Adamantoise will hardly have the same visual effect (if it will have one at all), since he's mostly rock.

If the fun of every big monster is using magic on it, then they better have a damn fun system to replenish your casts, because standing there throwing pretty particles at enemies is hardly fun or interesting...

Hopefully they bring back the climbing stuff they talked about, at least that is not an automatic thing. Or maybe casting magic is more than just the press of a button (highly doubt it).

cj_iwakura

Won't be surprised if we get another XIV expansion mixed in there too. SE really going in for the next few years. Also Nier 2 is missing from that, which I'm guessing will be mid 2017.

I bet Nier will be 2016. It's not like Taro is one to take forever.

Some Nobody

November for Tomb Raider

Missed Star Ocean 5. So yeah, 2016 is going to be stupid. That said, who knows if FF7 will hit in 2017. I'm thinking 2018, actually. 2017 better have some interesting announcements.

Sami+

But even Nomura has said the game would mostly be about brotherhood and the boys road trip to get the crystal.

Sure, but back then the trailers showed this grand, dramatic modern epic whereas the marketing since TGS '14 has shown something far less exciting and interesting whilst simultaneously patting me on the back and insisting its still the game I want without actually letting me see that.

ZSeba

Yeah. And those quotes were from the Versus days.

People were imagining a very different game based on the little info we had back then.

chozen

Sure, but back then the trailers showed this grand, dramatic modern epic whereas the marketing since TGS '14 has shown something far less exciting and interesting whilst simultaneously patting me on the back and insisting its still the game I want without actually letting me see that.

This 100%, though Nomuras actual concept of the game sounds so impossible, but he probably would have pulled it off after a long time.... Which is why I'm sure Tabata won't deliver and we will all be upset. If this game really is coming 2016 at this point and be half baked, I will be so sad. Tetsuya Director for XV, 2020 Release Pref thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom