• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix details Forspoken PS5 graphics modes and DualSense features

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member
forspoken_graphics_modes_revealed.jpg

Creative Producer Raio Mitsuno shared that Forspoken will have the following three graphics modes on PS5:
  • Performance Mode – 1440p resolution at 60FPS
  • Graphics Mode – 4K resolution at 30FPS
  • Ray Tracing Mode – Features ray tracing

“Right now, for the PS5, we’re planning on adding the three main modes that you see in a lot of games nowadays. So, you have the Performance Mode, which will be rendered at 2K at 60 frames per second, and then we have Graphics Mode which is 4K and 30 frames per second. And then, we also have a mode that will use ray tracing. So, we’ll have the set of modes that you’ve seen in the modern PS5 games today,” said Matsuno.

While Mitsuno didn’t specifically mention the resolution and framerate of the game’s Ray Tracing mode, we can surmise that it will run at a 1080p resolution with a possible target framerate of 30FPS. This is based on other PS5 titles with a similar set of graphics modes.

Screenshot_09-1.jpg

Game director Takeshi Aramaki shared that Forspoken will take advantage of adaptive triggers and haptic feedback.

“We really have included a lot of unique PlayStation 5 hardware features when we were developing this game,” said Aramaki.“For example, using the adaptive triggers, we added tactile feedback when you’re using the different types of magic. We’ve got lots of different magic spells you can use in the game, and the planners and designers sat down and worked out how to differentiate the feedback you get from controller for each of the magic spells.”

Ryu Kaiba

Not knocking the actress but her face in the animations always looks so derpy lol

I'm not a fan of the premise of the game and the way it was marketed, it feels so much like it was designed by a committee of people who don't play many games.

Last edited:

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Man, seeing "Agni's Philosophy" again. THAT looked like a world I wanted to explore and it actually LOOKED INTERESTING!.

Shame SE didn't seem to think anything of it other than a glorified demo.
I feel you, and that video is from 2012...

Reactions: Isa

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
If it's like Guardians RT mode, it's gonna be around 1080p-1440p with an uneven 30 fps.

I switched to the native 4k mode in that game after realizing the performance wasnt a locked 30 fps. Hard to see reflections in many places even in a sci-fi world like that. In an open world like this, it's probably a total waste.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Like, WTH happened to those Luminous Engine Tech Demo:
Not just that Luminous demo, the game got a severe downgrade after its own original reveal last year which still looked great. I am guessing their gameplay which focuses on magic abilities with lots of particle effects cant handle fancy graphics.

pLhOEgJ.gif

c39da19effa54c180844e4019455c0d6f488e871.gifv

UucIxxw.gif

I think it's their dated engine. They need to switch to UE5 like the FF7 remake team.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Game looks best in action scenes with all the particle and special effects blasting on screen.

The rest of the game (including all these images people have posted) show absolutely nothing special. No different than a last gen game.

The character faces, teeth etc... look like a typical game from 2014.

Last edited:
Reactions: Isa

Notabueno

Banned
That's a lot of downgrade for an 80€ game.

Also Open-World games are dead. Nobody gives a shit about vast empty pre-made assets wasteland with redundant and bland point-to-point interactions with enemies, loot or npcs.

It's especially funny when you consider that in S-E eyes, open-world has probably become a forced market decisions to justify the price: let's create very high-quality protagonists with nice animation and vfx, a few HQ narrative cutscenes, and then cram the whole thing into a completely bland and useless open-world.

Last edited:

John Wick

Not just that Luminous demo, the game got a severe downgrade after its own original reveal last year which still looked great. I am guessing their gameplay which focuses on magic abilities with lots of particle effects cant handle fancy graphics.

pLhOEgJ.gif

c39da19effa54c180844e4019455c0d6f488e871.gifv

UucIxxw.gif

I think it's their dated engine. They need to switch to UE5 like the FF7 remake team.
We don't know what build they have shown and how old it is? It has about 5-6 months of dev time and that's when the spit and polish is applied. Hopefully it will look better and closer to the reveal video.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
RT mode.....hahahaha thats some wishful wishful wishful wishful thinking.
Or they are geniuses and RT is only for reflections.....nothing in the world is reflective.
In which case they can print Raytracing on the box and market the hell out of how the game has RT even if its never actually utilized in game.

If they have a good upscaling solution that 60fps mode is almost certainly going to be the best mode to play in.
Why they would even target 4K is beyond me the game isnt that far out and I dont think they will iron out the performance by then....lots of particles going off....at 4K.
Cerny wept.

P.S: Give us the PC requirements.....it better say DLSS on the very first line or else!

Orpheum

The game looks really rough in general, there's no way they'll hit a consistent framerate in the state the game is currently at, neither in graphics nor framerate mode. I know there's still half a year left to smooth things out but the sceptic in me thinks these are issues that will be present on release too. It looks awfully choppy and janky. And that's just the technical side. In my opinion the combat also looks really...unfun.

Just my two cents. I think it was revealed way too early and might need another year and a half or so before it's ready but i'm happy to be proven wrong

Markio128

They still have a few months to iron out the choppy visuals, at least in 30fps mode; I dread to think how brown and smudgy the performance mode will look like. Still, the game just doesn’t look that appealing now that I have seen more of the gameplay.
It’s getting a ‘meh’ out of 10 at the moment.

GymWolf

Neat.

Pc version for me, imagine having faith in a performance mode made by square...

Last edited:

ParaSeoul

this game proves that even if game is nextgen only it doesn't automaticly mean it will be graphicaly above crossgen titles as horizon forbiden west looks way above this title
All this game proves is that they were right to ditch Luminous Studio for KH3 AND FF7R,the enviroments seem detailed but i dont know whats going with the lighting in most shots,also the mostly empty world. Wonder if its using real time lighting,would explain why it looks weird.

Last edited:

Haggard

Banned
this game proves that even if game is nextgen only it doesn't automaticly mean it will be graphicaly above crossgen titles as horizon forbiden west looks way above this title
because all developers are equally talented, standouts don`t exist and all other factors such as budget, development time etc don`t count.

Some people seem to forget the previous gen every gen anew.....

ParaSeoul

because all developers are equally talented, standouts don`t exist and all other factors such as budget, development time etc don`t count.

They should have pressed the better graphics button

sncvsrtoip

you basicaly agreed with me and add some valid points why is that ;) tough square enix is not indie studio with small budget, development time of Forspoken defenitly shorter

All this game proves is that they were right to ditch Luminous Studio for KH3 AND FF7R,the enviroments seem detailed but i dont know whats going with the lighting in most shots,also the mostly empty world. Wonder if its using real time lighting,would explain why it looks weird.
ParaSeoul ParaSeoul ff7r on ps4 besides of jawdropping realtime cutscenes wasn't looker at all, sometimes ps3 era quality

Last edited:

Ebidramon

Banned
Personally, I always look at graphics and raytracing modes on current gen consoles as something that will be neat to have in the future if I replay the game - kinda like assets reserved for when technology catches up (read: hardware becomes capable of running it at 60fps, or more).

At the moment it is hard to appreciate them when my head hurts.

Fbh

Based on the gameplay they showed the 30fps mode will be the 20-30fps mode and the 60fps mode will be the 40-60fps mode.
Hopefully Ps5 gets VRR by then to make it a bit less jarring.

ParaSeoul ParaSeoul ff7r on ps4 besides of jawdropping realtime cutscenes wasn't looker at all, sometimes ps3 era quality

It was very uneven.
Sometimes it looked really good in game....then you'd turn around a corner and you'd find bad textures and Ps3 era NPC's. It was also clearly very demanding as they basically had to divide the entire game into small areas...like some PSP game (you'd just get a seamless forced walking loading sequence in between areas instead of a regular loading screen).

ParaSeoul

This game is a really weird combo of Japanese and Western designs but the menus are the most Japanese ones I've seen in the past two gens
Yi4lWsR.png
PonXYv6.png

Top Bottom