• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix Europe confirms Kane & Lynch 2: Dog Days

Pachimari

The Press Release:

Wednesday 18th November/...IO Interactive, part of Square Enix Europe is pleased to confirm that Kane & Lynch 2: Dog Days is coming to PlayStation3 computer entertainment system, Xbox 360 video game and entertainment system from Microsoft and Windows PC in 2010.

Kane & Lynch 2: Dog Days is a raw and brutal crime shooter designed to take players on an even more intense story experience, following two of gaming's most disturbed criminals, through the gritty Shanghai underworld.

Introducing a new visual experience, Kane & Lynch 2: Dog Days is inspired by documentary filmmakers and the user-generated era. Every aspect of the game has been designed to deliver a fresh perspective to the words 'intensity' and 'realism' in video games.

"Gamers are always looking for something new and that is exactly what they are going to get with Kane & Lynch 2: Dog Days," said Niels Jørgensen, general manager of IO Interactive. "A special thanks to gamers worldwide for their feedback. They are certainly in for a shock as we, with immense pride, welcome back our two dear, violent and somewhat unfortunate friends."

Kane & Lynch 2: Dog Days will be released on the EIDOS games label and will be coming in 2010.

- 2010 release for PC, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360.
- Released under the Eidos label.
- Something new and exciting both gameplay wise and visualistic is in store for us.

The only IO Interactive game I really liked was Hitman: Codename 47, I got great memories of it. Mini Ninjas was nothing bad at all either. Though, I'm really excited for Kane & Lynch 2: Dog Days, only because it's from the only major danish developer we got here in my country.

Kuran

Banned
Looking forward to the GiantBomb video review.

Sounds exciting though, but if they have such fresh ideas for their new game, why risk it with the Kane and Lynch title?

Ganondorfo

The first one had a great storyline (mostly if you are big fan of the old michael mann movies like heat and collateral). But the controls were so bad in this game.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Mama Robotnik said:
They could pick any Eidos IP and they choose this?

Ugh.

kains.jpg

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Ganondorfo said:
The first one had a great storyline (mostly if you are big fan of the old michael mann movies like heat and collateral). But the controls were so bad in this game.

This. The game needed more time in development to fix the controls. It was so frustrating to play that game because everything else was done right.

Mama Robotnik said:
Ah, I stand corrected then. Makes sense.

To be honest, don't expect Eidos to change much. Eidos' studios are being managed by the same people, and the top Eidos guy answers only to Wada, so pretty much Eidos will continue as a separate entity.

Anyone think this could possibly mean first-person? Not sure how docu-style would really work in a third-person perspective unless they're just talking cutscenes.

Pachimari

Shurs said:
I was hoping they were working on a new Hitman game.
IO Interactive are working on Hitman but it just won't be a 2010-release, I always predicted a 2011 release and I still stand by that date.

Jonnyram

APZonerunner said:
To be honest, don't expect Eidos to change much. Eidos' studios are being managed by the same people, and the top Eidos guy answers only to Wada, so pretty much Eidos will continue as a separate entity.
That isn't exactly how these things work.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Mama Robotnik said:

Ugh.

... you act like the other Eidos IP is being ditched.

Crystal Dynamics really only has Tomb Raider (Kain / Pandemonium are both dead dead). It's still around. IO has Hitman (in development), Kane and Lynch (in development), Freedom Fighters, and Mini Ninjas (just released). The Championship Manager team is still releasing Championship Manager. The Hungary studio that does Battlestations just released a game in their IP earlier this year. Deus Ex 3 is in production at the Montreal studio. Thief 4 is in development at the Montreal studio. I have no idea if Eidos or Pyro owns the Commandos IP, but it's not like that's particularly inactive.

The Conflict IP is the only Eidos IP that is really in question at this point.

Where's the beef?

Jonnyram said:
That isn't exactly how these things work.

No, that's a gross simplification, but the fact of the matter is Square Enix actually gutted a lot of their European infrastructure - many people I know who were at SE UK were let go - and shifted their stuff over to the hands of the Eidos people to make Square Enix Europe.

In that respect, Square Enix's existing Euro presence was folded into Eidos, not the other way around. Of course Square isn't going to let Eidos continue on the money losing path they were on, but the attitude from the Japanese side of the company appears to be that they don't know too much about the Western style of making games, so they'll leave that in the hands of those who were doing it previously. They'll greenlight projects based on numbers and analysis of course, but those higher ups for Europe's development are the same people from Eidos.

As I said above, Square Enix Europe is ironically made up of more ex-Eidos people than ex-Square people, and a lot of Square guys were let go through the takeover. The gist is correct, at least. I don't expect Eidos' projects or focus to change much.

Pachimari

IO Interactive may have the Freedom Fighters IP but that is officially (internally) dead as well. The "succesor" to that game is Kane & Lynch.

Keir_Eidos

Eidos Loves You
Hi, I'm Keir from Eido.... (sorry force of habit) Square Enix Europe, I'm a community monkey. I hope it's OK if I answer a couple of points.

Ganondorfo said:

dskillzhtown said:
This. The game needed more time in development to fix the controls. It was so frustrating to play that game because everything else was done right.

Thanks for the comments chaps. I was in a presentation of the game from some IO guys a while back and the controls was the first thing I asked about. They've taken the feedback from gamers seriously and have completely revamped them and the mechanics. They've been testing them intensely, and they are solid.

We'll be releasing more info about what exactly has been done in time. I hope that kind of helps, I just wanted to point out that this was really taken into consideration for the sequel.

Effect said:
So they are still using the Eidos name. I thought they were being renamed?

Games you'd traditionally associate with Eidos, like Tomb Raider, Deus Ex, K&L, etc will be released on the Eidos label (so you'll still have the Eidos logo front of box and on a splash screen) but ultimately the publisher is Square Enix Europe.

Kane & Lynch 2: winner of GAF's least interesting news of the month - and we still have 12 days left!

----> MOST EXCITING NEWS
- No More Heroes to 360/PS3
- Hotel Dusk 2
- NPD
----SLIGHTLY INTERESTING
-
-
- Facebook on PS3
-------> NO INTEREST
- Kane & Lynch 2

on the other hand, am looking forward to Gerstmann's "review" for KnL2.

Stumpokapow said:
... you act like the other Eidos IP is being ditched.

Crystal Dynamics really only has Tomb Raider (Kain / Pandemonium are both dead dead). It's still around. IO has Hitman (in development), Kane and Lynch (in development), Freedom Fighters, and Mini Ninjas (just released). The Championship Manager team is still releasing Championship Manager. The Hungary studio that does Battlestations just released a game in their IP earlier this year. Deus Ex 3 is in production at the Montreal studio. Thief 4 is in development at the Montreal studio. I have no idea if Eidos or Pyro owns the Commandos IP, but it's not like that's particularly inactive.

The Conflict IP is the only Eidos IP that is really in question at this point.

Where's the beef?

I was mainly thinking Kain (predictable I know) and Commandos, though I'd love to see a return of Pandemonium. Or even a fresh look at some of the 32-bit era properites that are dead and buried.

JDSN

Banned
I guess by film maker stuff they mean shaky cam and a bunch of filters, I better selling point would be making the gameplay at least functional.

Oh shit, Kane fuck and shit Lynch sure fuck had some vulgar fucking language, oh shit oh shit I wonder if number fucking 2 will be twice as fucking badass

Anastacio said:
Introducing a new visual experience, Kane & Lynch 2: Dog Days is inspired by documentary filmmakers and the user-generated era. Every aspect of the game has been designed to deliver a fresh perspective to the words 'intensity' and 'realism' in video games.
The first thing I think of when I read this and consider the viral ad is Crank. Probably won't be the case though as Crank takes a spiteful stance towards realism.

In any case, I like IO, they're excellent at devising cool and creative scenarios. Haters gonna hate. Kane & Lynch had potential but was let down by the part where you played it, particularly the last stretch, where IO decided to put focus on the game's flaws. If control and AI improvements are a priority this could be pretty great.

VibratingDonkey said:
The first thing I think of when I read this and consider the viral ad is Crank. Probably won't be the case though as Crank takes a spiteful stance towards realism.

In any case, I like IO, they're excellent at devising cool and creative scenarios. Haters gonna hate. Kane & Lynch had potential but was let down by the part where you played it, particularly the last stretch, where IO decided to put focus on the game's flaws. If control and AI improvements are a priority this could be pretty great.

Crank was my new favorite action film. That's all it was, pure unapologetic action with a healthy dose of insanity. If they made a game with the style and ridiculousness of that movie I think it would prove pretty entertaining.

Anyway, I played the first K&L demo, it seemed competent enough. Is the game worth buying now or just a rental?

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
inspired by documentary filmmakers and the user-generated era

This just sounds marketing fluff so people on Twitter/Facebook/etc start talking about your game

Keir_Eidos said:
I was in a presentation of the game from some IO guys a while back and the controls was the first thing I asked about. They've taken the feedback from gamers seriously and have completely revamped them and the mechanics. They've been testing them intensely, and they are solidl.

This, on the other hand, sounds good.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Mama Robotnik said:

Ugh.
The game sold fantastically well and is quite possibly one of the most successful new IPs of the generation oddly enough. :lol

Bernbaum

Kuran said:
Looking forward to the GiantBomb video review.

Sounds exciting though, but if they have such fresh ideas for their new game, why risk it with the Kane and Lynch title?
Oh shit yes!

There shall be popcorn.

Keir_Eidos said:
Thanks for the comments chaps. I was in a presentation of the game from some IO guys a while back and the controls was the first thing I asked about. They've taken the feedback from gamers seriously and have completely revamped them and the mechanics. They've been testing them intensely, and they are solid.
Let me ask you this, have they fixed the USB bug they had in the first Kane & Lynch and Mini Ninjas yet? The USB bug (I know you are aware of but will explain anyway) is that if you have certain USB keyboards or mice plugged into the computer it will give constant stuttering in-game making the games pretty much unplayable. The only way to get around this that I've found is to unplug both keyboard and mouse, so you have to play with a 360 gamepad or similar controller in those games. Which is absolutely crazy.

Also, will IO support the game after release at all? If there are technical issues will they patch them? AKA. there was a patch for K&L promised (at least for the PC version) and it never happened. Mini Ninjas is never getting patched either. Eidos after release support is usually/always non-existant, WHY IS THIS? Heh.

Top Bottom