• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix eyes up Western developers and calls wii a toy...again

Deku

Banned
Wada has to appear impartial and not totally in Nintendo's camp when he announces FF XIV for Wii.

Joking aside, he doesn't have much choice. PS3 in the gutter/ghetto, 360 is dead and Wii has the potential to be like a DS (keyword: potential). So though he may not like the situation, and I'm sure many publishers are not, the distinct possibility of DS redux, at least in Japan, is not implausible. Infact it's quite probable.

Innotech

Banned
2 things dont make much sense in the gaming world. One is rating games "mature", and the other is calling Nintendo consoles a toy and somehow not referring to the others as such. Hell a Mclaren F1 is a toy, just a really expensive one. These are all toys to play with. These are all devices for fun. thats what a game is. That is what a game console is.

Deku

Banned
I think he meant it as a 'toy' in terms of it being casual, and being an electronic equivalent of a toy. Basically old school game consoles.

Contrast this to the media centers and stripped down PCs and there's a significant difference.

Deku said:
Joking aside, he doesn't have much choice. PS3 in the gutter/ghetto, 360 is dead and Wii has the potential to be like a DS (keyword: potential). So though he may not like the situation, and I'm sure many publishers are not, the distinct possibility of DS redux, at least in Japan, is not implausible. Infact it's quite probable.

You bring up a good point. Publishers are afraid of committing too much to any one platform this generation. They're playing things way too safe, content to just let Nintendo completely own and dominate its own platforms with millions of customers at stake. They see 360/ps3 as a safer bet because it caters to a market they're used to dealing with.

If the managers at the big time publishers had any sense at all they would realise that the success of Nintendo is no fluke. They took smart, calculated risks with their hardware/software development/marketing choices and it is paying off.

Laching on to the same old piece of pie that has always been there is only going to take you so far. Growth is the key to staying competitive in business and I think a lot of the suits forgot that. Notable exceptions being EA and Activision, which lo and behold are doing great right now. Nintendo's success is the wake up call that the industry sorely needed, especially in Japan.

eve241

I'm glad I can finally start disassociate Square Enix with Sony. Square Enix is synonymous with dangerously low oiriginality standards and I hope they either change completely or disappear from the map.

I'd simply ignore them if I knew that some people which are stuck (by their own accord or not) playing their games actually played other games, more original ones from time to time.

But it's often not the case and it makes me sad.

Endow said:
I'm glad I can finally start disassociate Square Enix with Sony. Square Enix is synonymous with dangerously low oiriginality standards and I hope they either change completely or disappear from the map.

I'd simply ignore them if I knew that some people which are stuck (by their own accord or not) playing their games actually played other games, more original ones from time to time.

But it's often not the case and it makes me sad.
Because lack of originality (totally subjective btw) is tied to platform choice. Gotcha.

Endow said:

If SE continues to operate the way they do now then my bet is on them disappearing. SE's portfolio of titles is more lacking of genre diversity that just about any other major publisher that comes to mind.

KTallguy

Banned
Endow said:

Name two recent Final Fantasy games that have had the same battle systems.
People say Square Enix doesn't have original content, yet most of the games they put out are vastly different from one another, even if they share a similar name.

SexConker

Banned
Every FF has the same damned battle system.
You pick items from a menu and shit happens.

Minor differences do not make a new battle system.

I'm still picking white text off of a blue menu and watching some animations.

KTallguy said:
People say Square Enix doesn't have original content, yet most of the games they put out are vastly different from one another, even if they share a similar name.

And that is a statement about SE's general attitude about risk taking. Instead of throwing company weight behind creating and building new brands, SE almost exclusively relies on two IPs that are decades old. I mean damn look at the Spirits Within movie. When they decided to take a crack at the film industry they still didn't have the balls to not rely on the Final Fantasy name. And I think just about everyone knows where that landed them.

The crazy thing is that no one at SE is smart enough to see how stupid it is for them to rely so much on DQ/FF. The proof being Novela Cystalis or whatever the hell they call it, a collection of titles all building off the same brand. And what brand is that? You guessed it-Final Fantasy.

SexConker said:

Every FPS has the same damn gameplay. You just point at enemies and shoot.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Someone needs to make a Square Enix love thread.

People want them to disappear? :lol
you cats are wild

KTallguy

Banned
LegendofJoe said:
And that is a statement about SE's general attitude about risk taking. Instead of throwing company weight behind creating and building new brands, SE almost exclusively relies on two IPs that are decades old.

Last Remnant says Hi?
And honestly, I don't give a shit if every Final Fantasy says "Final Fantasy" at the front, as long as the content of the titles is completely different (which is 90% of the time, is).

Why do people bitch about the name being the same, when most of the time, the characters, world, music, and game assets are completely different. They are only sequels in name. If the "Final Fantasy" name nets them more sales, honestly that's just good branding and marketing. Nintendo spits out a zillion types of games with "Mario" at the beginning, but the only recent new IP has been Pikmen.

SexConker said:

badcrumble covered it, but if you play FF12, FF10, and FF:CC and you tell me they play the same, I'll ask you to get your head examined.

Aurvant

I think that many of the 3rd party developers kinda see the Wii as a "toy" in the same light as Square-Enix does, and I frankly have to agree with them on the subject. It's not that the Wii doesn't have the marketability of being a console that Square-Enix and other 3rd party devs wouldn't want to put their more hardcore gamer driven titles on it's just that Nintendo doesn't SELL the system as something that would appeal to the typical 360 or PS3 gamer.

I mean, the Wii is an absolute smashing seller BUT the system is geared towards selling it's gimmicky titles rather than titles such as Metroid Prime 3 or Twilight Princess. And I truly mean "gimmicky titles" in the nicest way possible. I love Wii Play, Wii Sports, and I'm sure Wii Fit is going to be tons of fun also, but I think that with the constant push of strict motion control titles that do little to mothing more than show off the controller they are going to alienate more 3rd party titles that are geared more towards the "gamer".

Take Zack and Wiki or No More Heroes.....those are titles that absolutely rock in all aspects but Nintendo doesn't advertise or give any advertisement backing to any of those titles. Nope, they just push out more Wii Fits or Wii Plays instead of putting out titles that might draw back in the 3rd party devs that don't want to make a game that is solely used to show off the controller.

So, its the way its being sold. As of right now the Wii still prints money just like the DS but I just don't know how long that will last. The DS still had the ability to draw in 3rd party devs but the Wii seems to alienate them and the horrible sales of games that SHOULD be awesome kinda proves that.

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
Wii Sports always had more upside than Zelda. Nintendo is not at fault except for exploiting that potential user base. Wii Sports simply has more universal appeal. What does he expect them to do? With that said, he is right in that the Wii has the potential to have as broad an audience as the DS has right now. Of course I think that's still rather difficult to achieve becaues the DS seems to satisfy the need for a handheld quite a bit by itself. But both the 360 and PS3 loom as other options, especially for the hardcore. Of course it's not like the DS is seeing all of the titles that those two systems are seeing, but I think it's still broader than the Wii is right now.

Acosta

SexConker said:

Hey, all videogames are the same, I am still picking a control and watching some animations.

KTallguy

Banned
I think that Nintendo has made it clear, especially this generation, that the success of 3rd parties is not a high priority for them.

iidesuyo

Deku said:
Joking aside, he doesn't have much choice. PS3 in the gutter/ghetto, 360 is dead and Wii has the potential to be like a DS (keyword: potential).

PS3 will most likely see another price cut in 2008 and if Sony somehow manages a slim version, it could bring them back into the game fast. So far no one has really jumped the Wii train.

But if this fails... yeah PS3 is doomed in Japan and Sony has to rely on Europe. Even then it's unclear whether the Wii will become a true PS2 successor, or 3rd Parties simply go the handheld/western market route.

KTallguy said:
Last Remnant says Hi?
And honestly, I don't give a shit if every Final Fantasy says "Final Fantasy" at the front, as long as the content of the titles is completely different (which is 90% of the time, is).

We're talking about different things here. I'm commenting on SE's business strategies, while you're commenting on the quality of their titles. I've never disputed that just about every FF game is a solid game. What I'm commenting on has nothing to do with that.

KTallguy said:
If the "Final Fantasy" name nets them more sales, honestly that's just good branding and marketing. Nintendo spits out a zillion types of games with "Mario" at the beginning, but the only recent new IP has been Pikmen.

Well, I guess you've been asleep for the past 2 years. The success of the Wii and DS has absolutely nothing to do with Nintendo relying on old, established brands.

My point being that SE needs to break itself out of the mold of creating RPGs and relying on old IPs if they really want to be successful.

It's pretty rich that S-E is giving pointers as to what so and so companies should strive for, yet they're reduced to relying on two decades old franchises, and thus far, have not made much of an effort to tap into the new market that has emerged for more than two years now.

Zelda was never quite as big a series in Japan as say FF or Mario, and no one really expected it to sell more than Wii Sports. TP was also the only launch Zelda title, one could argue that other Zelda games had a more mature userbase to sell to, and well, Wii Sports was simply an easier sell and a better embodiment of the new kind of software Nintendo was trying to sell, so it makes sense that they'd give Wii sports more of a limelight over an established franchise. Of course it could very well be true that games on the scale of Zelda: TP are on a decline in Japan (much like FF). TP sold well worldwide, maybe the problem was the Japanese market? I honestly don't know, but I know Nintendo isn't doing much wrong, right now in the way they're approaching things. Even when Nintendo was not particularly looking for that market to tap, Mario Party 4 still outsold Super Mario Sunshine and Zelda Wind Waker; some games just have broader appeal than others. Nintendo didn't create this market, it slowly emerged and they took advantage. Smart business.

Nintendo has simply found a new and previosuly untapped market and they're fully supporting it, but that hasn't really affected their output of other key franchises like Zelda, Mario and Metroid. There's nothing wrong in that. Thus far they're effectively selling a healthy amounts of both software and hardware. They're in good shape.

tokkun

LegendofJoe said:
And that is a statement about SE's general attitude about risk taking. Instead of throwing company weight behind creating and building new brands, SE almost exclusively relies on two IPs that are decades old. I mean damn look at the Spirits Within movie. When they decided to take a crack at the film industry they still didn't have the balls to not rely on the Final Fantasy name. And I think just about everyone knows where that landed them.

Why should they change things when their fan base resists any major changes?

DQ has used the same battle system ad nauseum. As soon as they announce that DQIX will finally feature a fresh system, fans complain and protest so much that they give in and go back to the old system.

FFXII finally breaks out of the shonen jump realm to tell an adult story while simultaneously overhauling the AT battle system that's been in place since FFIV. Many 'hardcore FF fans' call it the worst FF ever.

Meanwhile remakes of old FF and DQ games are making huge sales and Advent Children does well enough to warrant a 2nd release on Blu-Ray.

Given the choice, I'm sure most fans would rather have an FFVII remake than FFXIII.

Mr Jared

zaccheus said:
they're all toys.

I bet that when your Mom barges in and tells you to turn off all your freakin' toys, you tell her otherwise.

Then you wonder where the Hell your chocolate milk is.

tokkun said:
Why should they change things when their fan base resists any major changes?

The fanbase they've created for DQ and FF are established customers, they like what they got from SE before and they want more of it. That is called a customer base. The point I'm trying to expound here is that SE needs to expand its customer base. They do a great job of catering to their established customers, but they also need to go out and get new ones. And you don't do that by branding your games under the same tag.

Naturally, there are ways to do this without straying too far away from you're good at. An example I just thought of would be EA. Seing the success of Wii Sports and motion controlled games EA could put out dedicated motion controlled sports games. Rebrand them and make them more arcadey (like they did with the Street games) and I believe they would have some solid hits on their hands.

Aurvant

tokkun said:
Given the choice, I'm sure most fans would rather have an FFVII remake than FFXIII.

All you have to do is go back to the FFVII tech demo for the PS3 and watch peoples reactions to get the answer for that one. Why S-E doesn't want to make easy money is beyond me.

Must be that whole "artist integrity" thing or something.

eve241

badcrumble said:
Because lack of originality (totally subjective btw) is tied to platform choice. Gotcha.

I did not say that. Whether you like it or not SquareEnix (and the FF series in particular) have been synonymous with Playstation platform for a long time now. Seeing as how a company that releases Ico also endorses SquareEnix' games I get confused. It makes you wonder if there's a thing as leading philosophy for these big companies. Before you mention "money" I did talk about Ico.

KTallguy said:

Different in their clichéness. You still get the same effeminate protagonists, sappy bad quality stories and copy-paste worlds. What a FF game shares with it's prequel it's exactly what makes FF bad. The good things often come from that which is different which in the end is not much. Even if the battle system is different it should not be the one gameplay trait of a game and in FF it seems it is.

SexConker

Banned
FFs do play the same.
--I'm not counting Tactics or Crystal Chronicles, or XI. All FFT games play the same, all Crystal Chronicles games will play the same, etc.

Most FPS DO play the same.
And yes, most video games play the same.

Anyone who thinks that there's a fundamental difference between the original Command and Conquer and the latest crop of RTS games is the one who needs to get their head examined.

Anyone who thinks that the battle systems among various (main) FF games are fundamentally different needs to get their head examined.

These games all play the same. Anyone who thinks SE has been innovating all these years is fooling themselves. Has Capcom fundamentally changed how I play Megaman? Is there a new way to play Generic FPS 1426 that I'm unaware of?

We have seen some great games lately that try something new.
We have the Wii and DS which do fundamentally change the way you play. (Too bad there's nothing but crap on the Wii.)
We have games like DDR and Guitar Hero. (Which I personally hate, but hey, others like them)
We have the PlayStation Eye. (Which is still being completely ignored)

You have developers that look at such changes, trends, and opportunities, and try to create something new. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Then you have developers that sit there and build a game around the same damned gameplay concepts over and over and over. Yes, sometimes this works too (TF2, Galaxy, Halo, WoW, etc).

But the fact is that 90% of games are mediocre and not worth my time or money.

It's a competitive market, and trying something new is really the only way to stand out from the crowd. You may blame WiiFit, but the market disagrees with you. People, especially in Japan, want something new. Is it any wonder that SE is looking into western developers?

The Wii may be a toy to SE, but for the last 5 years FF has been about as exciting to me as an excel spreadsheet. SE can cry all day long. I'll take my toys and play elsewhere, thanks.

birdchili

Aurvant said:
All you have to do is go back to the FFVII tech demo for the PS3 and watch peoples reactions to get the answer for that one. Why S-E doesn't want to make easy money is beyond me.

Must be that whole "artist integrity" thing or something.
not a chance. they want the easy money and there isn't anywhere to make it right now.

well... they could make it now, but they could make a lot *more* if they wait for the right opportunity. i'd expect the vii remake on the first hd system to hit a really large western/japanese combined installed base. i think they want hd so that they could be close to the aesthetic/quality of the demo they showed (and it would be true to the original spirit of vii, which was the first of the really big fmv-centric "cinematic" ffs).

if the ps3 can make a real go of it, i'd expect it late in the console's life. otherwise, i'd guess it'll appear on whatever the next-gen home console leader is in japan.

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
Aurvant said:
Take Zack and Wiki or No More Heroes.....those are titles that absolutely rock in all aspects but Nintendo doesn't advertise or give any advertisement backing to any of those titles. Nope, they just push out more Wii Fits or Wii Plays instead of putting out titles that might draw back in the 3rd party devs that don't want to make a game that is solely used to show off the controller.
I'm not out to say that Wii is the bastion of third party success, but you have to put those titles in perspective. Killer 7 came out on both the Gamecube and PS2, and how much backing did either company really give the title? Across two platforms it did not sell well in relation to the onus put on it by the hardcore. And (whether or not you can argue that Zach and Wiki plays into the toy persona that people like Wada have helped facilitate) I think that Zach and Wiki certainly falls into the Psychonauts syndrome. At least Psychonauts had a multi million dollar ad campaign. I dont think Zach and Wiki had anything. I'd really like to see Capcom's projections for the game and what it actually sold.

Ubisoft at the start of the Wii's life cycle at least had the right idea. Take Red Steel. Mass marketable idea (guns and sword play). It promised something. Whether it delivered on those promises or not is up for debate, but it promised something. And when Ubi could have allowed it to get overshadowed by Zelda and Wii Sports, they actually built up a decent campaign for it. You could argue that Nintendo featured it prominently, but that wouldn't explain Rayman Raving Rabids either, which sold nearly as much. Speaking of which, is RRR2 even out yet? Ubi really dropped the ball with that one.

I know that's not what people want to hear, that not all good concepts are marketable. It's not always about marketing. It's about marketability. But the main problem here is that every damned third party game has to be some sort of barometer for success on the Wii. And that's just too much for some of these games to bear, especially with a million mitigating factors that can be argued over and over. I am not going to say that the Wii is the perfect environment for third parties. I'm certainly not going to say that Nintendo's own efforts don't overshadow third party games to some degree. But the talk is annoying. Either put your games on the Wii and give that game the maximum effort to succeed, or just don't bother at all. The market will ultimately bear out it out. The only problem is the risk aversive attitude. But if the 360 and PS3 are good enough environments for certain companies, then they can continue along that plan. I don't think all companies can ignore the Wii's expanding userbase forever, though.

joesmokey

Wada said:
Do you feel that the recent price cuts have significantly improved PS3's positioning in the market?
I am expecting an improvement. But I personally feel the price is quite low as it is. My mobile phone is actually more expensive than a PS3, but nobody thinks that's too expensive.

Wonder what cell phone he has :lol

clo1_2000

Banned
Just let them put out a FFVII remake watch how that quote goes from what he said to

"Nintendo was visionary enough to release a product that expanded gaming to crowds that never played video games before. It is for this very reason that we are happy to bring Final Fantasy VII to millions of new players".

KTallguy

Banned
Endow said:
Different in their clichéness. You still get the same effeminate protagonists, sappy bad quality stories and copy-paste worlds. What a FF game shares with it's prequel it's exactly what makes FF bad. The good things often come from that which is different which in the end is not much. Even if the battle system is different it should not be the one gameplay trait of a game and in FF it seems it is.

Ok, look at the differences between FFX and FFXII in story and gameplay. Hell, look at FFXI, which is an MMO. All of this is reaching, unfortunately. The FF games are fundamentally different from each other, and if even if they have the same name, that's not limiting their market in any substantial way. It would be a far greater blow to eliminate the game all together. And there are several new Square IP that are being readied for the market this year and next year.

Nintendo has created Wii Sports and Wii Fit as new IP. Both are a collection of minigames focused on sports/fitness respectively. You can call these 'brands', fine. I just see them as minigame collections for a casual market. I would not have bought Wii Sports had it come separate from the console, because that's just not my type of game.

Mgoblue201 said:
I am not going to say that the Wii is the perfect environment for third parties. I'm certainly not going to say that Nintendo's own efforts don't overshadow third party games to some degree. But the talk is annoying. Either put your games on the Wii and give that game the maximum effort to succeed, or just don't bother at all. The market will ultimately bear out it out. The only problem is the risk aversive attitude. But if the 360 and PS3 are good enough environments for certain companies, then they can continue along that plan. I don't think all companies can ignore the Wii's expanding userbase forever, though.

When publishers have to completely space their releases around a console manufacturer's just to sell enough to break even, that's a problem. And marketing and marketability aside, there's only so much money you can throw at a game. If I have to spend twice the game's cost on marketing to out shout Nintendo's noise, then why create the game in the first place? Not everyone is made of money (See Microsoft and the Halo 3 campaign).

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
SexConker said:
FFs do play the same.
--I'm not counting Tactics or Crystal Chronicles, or XI. All FFT games play the same, all Crystal Chronicles games will play the same, etc.

Most FPS DO play the same.
And yes, most video games play the same.

Anyone who thinks that there's a fundamental difference between the original Command and Conquer and the latest crop of RTS games is the one who needs to get their head examined.

Anyone who thinks that the battle systems among various (main) FF games are fundamentally different needs to get their head examined.

These games all play the same. Anyone who thinks SE has been innovating all these years is fooling themselves. Has Capcom fundamentally changed how I play Megaman? Is there a new way to play Generic FPS 1426 that I'm unaware of?

We have seen some great games lately that try something new.
We have the Wii and DS which do fundamentally change the way you play. (Too bad there's nothing but crap on the Wii.)
We have games like DDR and Guitar Hero. (Which I personally hate, but hey, others like them)
We have the PlayStation Eye. (Which is still being completely ignored)

You have developers that look at such changes, trends, and opportunities, and try to create something new. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Then you have developers that sit there and build a game around the same damned gameplay concepts over and over and over. Yes, sometimes this works too (TF2, Galaxy, Halo, WoW, etc).

But the fact is that 90% of games are mediocre and not worth my time or money.

It's a competitive market, and trying something new is really the only way to stand out from the crowd. You may blame WiiFit, but the market disagrees with you. People, especially in Japan, want something new. Is it any wonder that SE is looking into western developers?

The Wii may be a toy to SE, but for the last 5 years FF has been about as exciting to me as an excel spreadsheet. SE can cry all day long. I'll take my toys and play elsewhere, thanks.

That's a real nihilistic way of looking at things, don't you think? And some people may in fact be excited at games which resemble Excel spreadsheets (I can think of a certain infamous Professor that fits this description).

As long as S-E keeps putting out those DQ games and spinoffs, and keeps publishing tri-Ace stuff, I have no reason to leave.

duk

Banned
If you're going to do fully localized games SE, then you better make some games for the 360. You know, where software sells by the boatload.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
FFs do play the same.
so FF12 and FF7 have the same battle system? ... really?

really?

Innotech

Banned
davepoobond said:
is the PC a toy to you too?

i don't subscribe to the idea that game consoles are toys.
game consoles are toys. They are playthings. Do you not see the word PLAY in Playstation?

B-Ri

clo1_2000 said:
Just let them put out a FFVII remake watch how that quote goes from what he said to

"Nintendo was visionary enough to release a product that expanded gaming to crowds that never played video games before. It is for this very reason that we are happy to bring Final Fantasy VII to millions of new players".

o_O

i really wouldnt want to see FFVII with unneeded motion controls.

i also dont feel like buying a classic controller to play it, no thanks.

birdchili

i pretty-sure what he meant by "toy" was: "the games we're making for wii are going to be massive fun".

i also heard that at the beginning of ff:xiii, you run crazy-fast at this guy and he tries to dodge you 200 times.

Eteric Rice

B-Ri said:
o_O

i really wouldnt want to see FFVII with unneeded motion controls.

i also dont feel like buying a classic controller to play it, no thanks.

Probably wouldn't use any motion controls, tbh.

Actually, the development cost of remaking FF7 to look exactly like the Tech Demo they released would be huge. I mean, just look at the number of environments they would have to remake (this dwarfs the number of environments in 10 and 12). This is probably the biggest reason they don't remake the game. It would have to be a huge success to recoup the costs it requires.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Threi said:
It depends on how you use it. Have you seen those neon-lighted clear-case gamer "1337" PC's?

Those look like toys to me.

I can put a tree in a neon-light clear case. Does that tree look like a toy then too?

Innotech said:
game consoles are toys. They are playthings. Do you not see the word PLAY in Playstation?

So toys are the only thing you play with?

PLAY with your dog so dog = toy?
PLAY a video so video = toy?

there's BOX in the word xbox that means its a toy cause boxes are all toys!!! Or wait, its an X. So X must be a toy too...but wait they use X as a variable in math. SO MATH MUST BE A TOY TOO

MATH IS A TOY

people wonder why they don't take gaming as a serious form of media or art -- this is why.

Threi

notag
davepoobond said:
I can put a tree in a neon-light clear case. Does that tree look like a toy then too?

Sure. You are missing the point though.

Cars aren't toys.

Fast-and-Furious import ricers are toys.

Take the hint.

Top Bottom