• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix: FF3, FF4, and FF5 have been very successful worldwide on iOS

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I felt I would break this out since I have seen people wonder about how successful Square Enix's iOS games gave been.

For lots more information about FF4:TAY's 3D remake on iOS and more about Square Enix on iOS, see Goli's excellent thread here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=683165

http://app.famitsu.com/20130921_237994/
The whole interview can be found there, but here's a little summary:
-TAY is being made for smartphones because last year's FFIV iOS version did so well worldwide they decided to give the sequel the same treatment.
-As closing comments, Tokita comments how FFIII, FFIV and FFV's smartphone ports have had worldwide success and he hopes people who haven't played those titles along with TAY, specially the ones overseas, give the titles a chance in these new releases.

He kind of implies one more remake is in the works as well:

-Along with TAY's smartphone version, Tokita is working on two other titles. One is all new and should be announced early next year, while the other should be announced at next year's TGS.

I bought FFIV in iOS and couldn't get into it. Didn't like the voice work, the 3d models left me wanting the 2d sprites, and the fact that it was universal but didn't have cloud saves meant that I was stuck playing it on one platform. Still, I commend them for bringing the game over to another platform and the port itself seem rock solid.

3phemeral

They've gotten better with their control setups. Fixed pseudo analog is dreadful. They need to update all of their games with flexible analog-stick positioning.

I guess we should just give up on FF 5 and 6 coming to the 3DS and they rarely even talk about FF X and X-2 HD on the Vita. I feel like SE doesn't want my business anymore.

Nags

Banned
Good for them.
I'm not even being sarcastic. I've accepted that this is where their priorities are.
As for gaming my priorities are in dedicated gaming devices or PC. I'll fully support a title from them that piques my interest on platforms I prefer gaming on.

Gamerloid

They're classics. It's definitely a good guy on iOS. I wasn't sure if they'd work well, but a friend of mind has them all and showed me the games. I got to say, they work really well on iOS. Good for Square-Enix.

Minions

Know what would be more successful....?

Proper remakes. I don't get these half assed IOS ones. Why bother going through the effort if you make it look worse than it was in the first place.

iammeiam

It is sort of weird to think it's a serious possibility at this point that FFVIIremake will happen and will be for smartphones. The face of gaming, especially in Japan, has changed quite a bit since that short PS3 demo years ago.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
hope crisis core and other FF7 side games are included in the FF7 ios version

Samyy

Proper remakes. I don't get these half assed IOS ones. Why bother going through the effort if you make it look worse than it was in the first place.

Very little effort and cost for the return they received. Not hard to understand. You can blame the people rewarding them for doing things like this by spending money and that stuff.

Uh yeah.. guess this broadens these classics to new gamers too. Though having seen that FF5 version.. maybe not a good thing. Makes sense them from a business standpoint to make them cheaply to smartphones and not to consoles. They'll probably want to see how FFX | X-2 HD sells though too, so maybe there's a little hope HD ports too, at least for games like FF XII. They haven't explored the PS1 gen FF/RPG catalogue yet though, one could only hope that they do full-flegded remakes from these to consoles but I'll believe it when I see it. Smartphone versions are far more likely at this point.

Beth Cyra

FF IV was unarguably a full remake regardless of if you prefer this 3d or not.

Also this is a very bold claim to make. When you look at how 3 and 4 performed, take into account budget size and the current market in Japan as well as the very real fact that Remakes-full or otherwise-never reach as high as the original paints a very grim picture for your claim.

Manu

I thought only V was the bad one? III and IV are the same ones released on 3DS, right? Those were pretty good.

Samyy

Uh yeah.. guess this broadens these classics to new gamers too. Though having seen that FF5 version.. maybe not a good thing. Makes sense them from a business standpoint to make them cheaply to smartphones and not to consoles. They'll probably want to see how FFX | X-2 HD sells though too, so maybe there's a little hope HD ports too, at least for games like FF XII. They haven't explored the PS1 gen FF/RPG catalogue yet though, one could only hope that they do full-flegded remakes from these to consoles but I'll believe it when I see it. Smartphone versions are far more likely at this point.

What does give me hope as the KH 1.5 seems to be selling fairly well. The PS1 catalogue will be on phones. They aren't going to take the time to do full console remakes and they aren't releasing Vita games, I highly doubt it. They are barely talking about the Vita version of FFX HD, im sure they just threw Sony a bone with that one.

Beth Cyra

That's not exactly true.

VII, VIII, and IX on PSN could very well have lead to this.

All of ythem are just rom dumps with no changes and they are some of the best performing games on PSN. They could very well have seen that and decided iOS would be even better given the even larger fan base it has over consoles.

Vashetti

Banned
If they discounted their PSN titles more often I'd be more inclined to pick up FFIII and IV on there for PSP.

Kind of glad more people are being exposed to FF games though, even if it is for iOS.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
And the likelihood of both of those being cellphone games is 99.9%?

I don't think he's worked on a non-mobile game in about 3 or so years now.

Edit: Let's see, there was a PSP re-release of FFIV, and a Wii balance board horror game, but the last notable project was 2009's 4 Heroes of Light for a non-mobile game.

This still stings.

Hell I wouldn't have minded if it at least got the treatment IV and TAY are getting.
There's still a chance V and VI could get 3D remakes with the same treatment they gave IV.

At least, I've been dreaming about that after how great FFIV DS was.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
I still wonder why they haven't brought these to the Vita. I mean, we have access to the PSP version, but a native release with proper trophies and cloud save support would be nice. Would cause more of a splash than PlayStation mobile ports of Chaos Rings. I look at the sales of the Android releases and wonder if a low install base really is that much of a risk.

Same goes for the Grand Theft Auto Anniversary releases, actually.

Zoe

It's so disappointing they didn't bring FFV to PSP. Would have been nice to have it all on one platform :(

Do the Android versions switch language with the system settings? (not that the S3 supports Japanese >_<)

Beth Cyra

There's still a chance V and VI could get 3D remakes with the same treatment they gave IV.

At least, I've been dreaming about that after how great FFIV DS was.
Its possible. I just find V very unlikely. They had the perfect chance with the anniversary and no real remakes had been out for a good while, yet we still got basically got a port.

Could careless abouflt VI so a 3D remake of that one won't reduce the sting of V.

Oregano

I don't think he's worked on a non-mobile game in about 3 or so years now.

Edit: Let's see, there was a PSP re-release of FFIV, and a Wii balance board horror game, but the last notable project was 2009's 4 Heroes of Light for a non-mobile game.

I may be mistaken but I think he's officially in charge of mobile game production or something.

Vashetti

Banned
It's so disappointing they didn't bring FFV to PSP. Would have been nice to have it all on one platform :(

Do the Android versions switch language with the system settings? (not that the S3 supports Japanese >_<)

Why not get the PS1 version?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I may be mistaken but I think he's officially in charge of mobile game production or something.

I think I remember something like that too, but since I'm not 100% sure, I didn't want to say it without being certain.

But yeah you're probably right.

Its possible. I just find V very unlikely. They had the perfect chance with the anniversary and no real remakes had been out for a good while, yet we still got basically got a port.
Well, if they ever cared about doing solid mid-tier releases again, I do not think the lazy port of V they dumped onto phones would factor into a decision on giving it a proper remake. Actually, the release dates for the GBA port and DS remake of IV were REALLY close together, which I think helped the remake in the end because they knew they needed to give people a reason to buy it again after such a short time.

Top Bottom