• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square-Enix Financial Report Fiscal '08 (Sales figures + Watch Impress report)

Rpgmonkey

Kyoufu said:
Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep and FF: Dissidia.

Forgot about those. :D

Now I lost that feeling like the PSP is being ignored with new projects.

Aeana said:
There's a new article at Game Watch about this stuff. I didn't really read through it in-depth, but there's one part that did catch my eye. Wada once again projects DQ9 for this fiscal year. I hope so. :\

Don't lie to me Wada. :(

We most likely won't see FFXIII this year, at least give me your other biggest title this year, at least in Japan so I can import it...

jj984jj said:
A certain Nintendo fansite also posted this last week:
twewys741.jpg

Which is supposedly from Gamestop, maybe S-E undershipped it here after overshipping it in Japan. I'd take it with a grain of salt though.
I work at a brand new GameStop that opened last Thursday, and even we have stock of TWEWY.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
makingmusic476 said:
So wait. When does SE's financial start and end? Around May? Does this mean we won't see FFXIII until the latter half of 2009?

I kind of think it's a confluence of three things:

1. When their other big games are coming (DQ9, PSP and DS KHs [though I think the PSP one is bigger])
2. When the userbase is at an acceptable level
3. When the game is done

I think development on FFXIII is probably slowly progressing as Square waits for #2 to happen. Once #2 kind of happens (let's face facts, the PS3 isn't getting to "acceptable levels" in Japan like....any time soon), Square will move more people onto development and then release the game once their other big games are done. This is the Crisis Core strategy. :D

So if DQ9 is 2008, then I could see KH PSP being Spring in Japan and FF being maybe late 2009/spring 2010. If DQ9 is 2009, I don't see FFXIII coming until 2010. But this is just conjecture and maybe others would have a better idea.

Y2Kev said:
I kind of think it's a confluence of three things:

1. When their other big games are coming (DQ9, PSP and DS KHs [though I think the PSP one is bigger])
2. When the userbase is at an acceptable level
3. When the game is done

I think development on FFXIII is probably slowly progressing as Square waits for #2 to happen. Once #2 kind of happens (let's face facts, the PS3 isn't getting to "acceptable levels" in Japan like....any time soon), Square will move more people onto development and then release the game once their other big games are done. This is the Crisis Core strategy. :D

So if DQ9 is 2008, then I could see KH PSP being Spring in Japan and FF being maybe late 2009/spring 2010. If DQ9 is 2009, I don't see FFXIII coming until 2010. But this is just conjecture and maybe others would have a better idea.
I don't think #2 is much of an issue. I'm sure Square knows that the ps3 install base in Japan will probably NEVER get to acceptable levels until FFXIII hits. People aren't buying the thing because there are few games (that interest the Japanese). Delaying the biggest system seller the ps3 has (in Japan) won't help matters any.

From what I understand, SE said they were planning to delay FFXIII so that they didn't have it and DQIX hitting in the same financial year. I figure if the financial year ends around May, then FFXIII won't release until after May.

Mau ®

Nice sales all around. FF spinoffs do quite well.

The Last Remnant completely dissapeared. And the Fabula Nova Crystallis saga (FFXIII and company) are bound to become a gaming myth soon. E3 please! Its been 2 years since its official unveiling!

Quazar

Alex said:
FFXI still pullin' in more money than anything else, would be nice to see Rapture before too much longer.

So since when have we started calling new MMO Rapture? What recent news have I missed?

C.T.

makingmusic476 said:
I don't think #2 is much of an issue. I'm sure Square knows that the ps3 install base in Japan will probably NEVER get to acceptable levels until FFXIII hits. People aren't buying the thing because there are few games (that interest the Japanese). Delaying the biggest system seller the ps3 has (in Japan) won't help matters any.

From what I understand, SE said they were planning to delay FFXIII so that they didn't have it and DQIX hitting in the same financial year. I figure if the financial year ends around May, then FFXIII won't release until after May.

Actually they never said it openly like that except that they dont want to release both at the same time. We don't know if DQ IX is a 08 title.

jestro said:
ugh how do people play MMORPGs :(
Fixed. I myself would never try playing FFXI...mostly because I get easily addicted to games and I'd rather not see how I'd end up trying one.

Anyways, I really hope we get news on some on the PSP games being worked on soon and the Crystal Bearers. It's been about a year now since they released any info on the Crystal Bearers or even acknowledged that they're still working on it.

Spiegel

jj984jj said:
CC:FFVII will have to do better in EU than it did in NA to beat the advantage FFIII has over it in JP.

CC was only released at the end of March and did more than 100k in April. It easily can do 600k LTD

How much did FFIII sell in USA?

kenji

Kazenone said:
Sales were down in all regions:
Japan: 18,312m Yen (176m USD) -3.5%
NA: 2,751m Yen (26m USD) -51%
Europe: 1,081m Yen (10m USD) -44.9%
of course
there wasn't FFXII this time

Rpgmonkey

jarrod said:
But what if you don't want Nomura fanwank or TOSEPORTZ? :p

They obviously wait for the PSP remake of DQVII and the next FFXIII game featuring Amano. :p

Or they could get a DS or something. :/

makingmusic476 said:

Your avatar is too big.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
GoldandBlue said:
Fixed. I myself would never try playing FFXI...mostly because I get easily addicted to games and I'd rather not see how I'd end up trying one.

Anyways, I really hope we get news on some on the PSP games being worked on soon and the Crystal Bearers. It's been about a year now since they released any info on the Crystal Bearers or even acknowledged that they're still working on it.

Yeah, hopefully we'll get something before E3.

jarrod

Banned
Rounding up Squeenix's known upcoming releases for the curious...

Nintendo DS
-Dragon Quest V: Hand of the Heavenly Bride (Arte Piazza/Matrix Software)
-Dragon Quest VI: Realms of Reverie (Arte Piazza/Matrix Software)
-Dragon Quest IX: Hoshizora no Mamoribito (Level-5)
-Front Mission 2089: Border of Madness
-Kingdom Hearts: 358/2 days (h.a.n.d.)
-Nanashi no Game
-Sigma Harmonics
-Valkyrie Profile: Toga o Seoumono (tri-Ace)

PSP
-Dissidia: Final Fantasy
-Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep

Wii
-Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: The Crystal Bearers
-Soul Eater: Monotone Princess

Xbox 360
-Infinite Undiscovery (tri-Ace)
-Rapture
-The Last Remnant

PlayStation 3
-Final Fantasy XIII
-Final Fantasy versus XIII
-Rapture
-The Last Remnant

tba
-Star Ocean 4 (tri-Ace)

Exempted

Banned
Kagari said:
^ What's Rapture?
A city where the artist would not fear the censor.

Where the scientist would not be bound by petty morality.

Where the great would not be constrained by the small.

...And with the sweat of your brow... Rapture can become your city as well.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Exempted said:

*nods head*

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Nice numbers. As many, I want to know if TWEWY met sales expectations.

I'm glad there's so much effort in the handheld arena as DS and PSP are by far where I spend most of my gaming time nowadays.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Exempted said:

:lol

Well played.

duckroll

Aeana said:
There's a new article at Game Watch about this stuff. I didn't really read through it in-depth, but there's one part that did catch my eye. Wada once again projects DQ9 for this fiscal year. I hope so. :\

There are two interesting details in the article. Wada admits that there was no release date for DQIX last year, and there isn't one now, but they want to release the game within this financial year but... he said the same thing last year. When he realized that he wasn't really answering the question of when the fuck DQIX was coming out he changed the topic and talked about how the DS is a great choice of platform for DQIX and it might sell up to 10 million copies, because since DQIV on the DS selling over a million domestically shows they have a very firm support base.

Later on Wada talks about the 3 billion yen in losses in regard to various development cycles in the company. He goes on to say that it triggered a review in the company and resulted in the termination of a "revolutionary mobile development" the company was working on. He said that he felt that in this time and age, a mobile super project that was so close and similar to a consumer market product (console game) has no place in the industry. Could this mean that FF Agito XIII has been canned?

duckroll said:
There are two interesting details in the article. Wada admits that there was no release date for DQIX last year, and there isn't one now, but they want to release the game within this financial year but... he said the same thing last year. When he realized that he wasn't really answering the question of when the fuck DQIX was coming out he changed the topic and talked about how the DS is a great choice of platform for DQIX and it might sell up to 10 million copies, because since DQIV on the DS selling over a million domestically shows they have a very firm support base.

Later on Wada talks about the 3 billion yen in losses in regard to various development cycles in the company. He goes on to say that it triggered a review in the company and resulted in the termination of a "revolutionary mobile development" the company was working on. He said that he felt that in this time and age, a mobile super project that was so close and similar to a consumer market product (console game) has no place in the industry. Could this mean that FF Agito XIII has been canned?[/QUOTE]

that's interesting
did they ever even show any media for Agito? I remember seeing the very first images and i'm not aware of anything else at all
it wouldnt surprise me if it had been scrapped

Defuser

Well considering they're been focusing on handhelds while their console games in development is eating them up and the west usually buy console games more than handheld software, it's not surprising.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Defuser said:
Well considering they're been focusing on handhelds while their console games in development is eating them up and the west usually buy console games more than handheld software, it's not surprising.

The West is in the wrong then

Handhelds > consoles

Also would Agito really be canned? Why not move it to PSP?

I hope this means that PE3 and FFIV The After might make it to DS

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
jj984jj said:
A certain Nintendo fansite also posted this last week:
twewys741.jpg

Which is supposedly from Gamestop, maybe S-E undershipped it here after overshipping it in Japan. I'd take it with a grain of salt though.

So thats why Amazon didn't have it in stock

Rpgmonkey

BlazingDarkness said:
that's interesting
did they ever even show any media for Agito? I remember seeing the very first images and i'm not aware of anything else at all
it wouldnt surprise me if it had been scrapped

I remember seeing some art and pics of the characters, then the game kinda disappeared...

There's probably more public info on Versus than Agito now.

I wouldn't be surprised if it got canned either, unless this Mobile super project was something unannounced (Agito seems to be the closest candidate out of the announced mobile games to me).

But have they shown anything on PE3?

Mau ®

AgitoXIII canned? Wouldnt bother me so much but I dont see why SE wouldn't release the game on Japan on both mobile and PSP plataforms.

And then release it solely on PSP on NA and EU. Same with other mobile games that could easily be ported to DS or PSP if they wanted to.

Lots of strange bussiness decisions that kinda puzzle me. Why not release international versions of FF on EU and NA as well? I dont think it would take a huge effort to localize the new content and the boost in sales would be nice enough.

duckroll

ivysaur12 said:
So FFCC:CB shipped about 700k... good numbers, I'll definitely pick it up once I get my DS back.

And better numbers than I thought for FFIV. I know these are shipped, but I thought it only sold 600k in Japan?

Are you having.... reading difficulties today? FFCC:CB? It says FFIV sold 590k..... dude.....

Top Bottom