• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square-Enix how’s about you release FF pixel remaster on console!

McCheese

It probably runs on something like SDL draw routines that’s not compatible with consoles.

We are talking days to rip out sdl and swap it with directx, so if they only sold a few thousand copies it would be a good investment. I don’t believe this is the reason for not releasing it.

Quasicat

100% I already have 7-8-9-10-10-2 on PS so it would be nice to complete the OG set on one system I still wholeheartedly believe they’ve not made a decent Mainline offline final fantasy since 10&10-2.
I’m in the same boat and still have my PS3 hooked up for the PS1 rereleases. I was debating on picking up a PlayStation classic and turning it into a Squaresoft/Enix RPG machine. They’re still about $50 on Amazon. 🤔

Skelterz

Lol though, this is my point we shouldn't have to were talking about the biggest JRPG franchise of all time here 1-10 by this point should just always be available on every platform it makes no sense.

Synless

100% I already have 7-8-9-10-10-2 on PS so it would be nice to complete the OG set on one system I still wholeheartedly believe they’ve not made a decent Mainline offline final fantasy since 10&10-2.
12 ZA, 13, all of its spin-offs and 15 were all better than most if not all other JRPG’s released in their timeframe or after.

To say they are not decent at the very least is a tired echo statement I see far too much. How exactly are they not good games?

Skelterz

12 ZA, 13, all of its spin-offs and 15 were all better than most if not all other JRPG’s released in their timeframe or after.

To say they are not decent at the very least is a tired echo statement I see far too much. How exactly are they not good games?
12 is good I concede to that but the 13 trilogy wasn’t that great let’s be honest and I followed 15 for a long time it was originally called versus 13 and I was super excited for it turned out extremely poor.

In the same time frame as the 13 trilogy of games came out Lost odyssey and blue dragon and Xenoblade chronicles came out which I’d argue are better, and in regards to FF15 you had persona 5 and dragon quest XI Xeno X and Tokyo mirage sessions for Wii U.

If we’re going to be completely honest peak Square Enix was 6-10 it’s extremely hard to dispute tbh.

To go into greater detail because I didn’t really give context for my opinions FFXIII marked a radical shift in the franchise ranging from extremely linear areas a wonky battle system that really didn’t feel all that rewarding, not to mention the terrible voice acting and really hard to grasp plot.

FF15 was bad for the opposite reasons huge open areas but basically barren, story was quite good but you had to watch a YouTube video to piece it all together and the combat was basically holding one button.

Each to there own but if you think FF13 and 15 were better than any JRPG released around the same time and afterwards then you need to play more JRPG’s mate cause I’m telling you the statement you made about people just basically bashing the games for the sake of it dosent stand those games are among the weakest entry’s in the franchise and it’s universally accepted by this point.

Last edited:

Synless

12 is good I concede to that but the 13 trilogy wasn’t that great let’s be honest and I followed 15 for a long time it was originally called versus 13 and I was super excited for it turned out extremely poor.

In the same time frame as the 13 trilogy of games came out Lost odyssey and blue dragon and Xenoblade chronicles came out which I’d argue are better, and in regards to FF15 you had persona 5 and dragon quest XI Xeno X and Tokyo mirage sessions for Wii U.

If we’re going to be completely honest peak Square Enix was 6-10 it’s extremely hard to dispute tbh.

To go into greater detail because I didn’t really give context for my opinions FFXIII marked a radical shift in the franchise ranging from extremely linear areas a wonky battle system that really didn’t feel all that rewarding, not to mention the terrible voice acting and really hard to grasp plot.

FF15 was bad for the opposite reasons huge open areas but basically barren, story was quite good but you had to watch a YouTube video to piece it all together and the combat was basically holding one button.

Each to there own but if you think FF13 and 15 were better than any JRPG released around the same time and afterwards then you need to play more JRPG’s mate cause I’m telling you the statement you made about people just basically bashing the games for the sake of it dosent stand those games are among the weakest entry’s in the franchise and it’s universally accepted by this point.
I played each and every game you mentioned in that list to completion, more than once in most cases.

LO was an on par game, though, it’s a slog to play through in replays. Blue Dragon was not a better game, neither was Xenoblade which I consider both to be great games, Tokyo Mirage is not even close. I feel the same about Persona series as whole, uninspired dungeons, basically 3D visual novels with solid turn based combat.

Of all the games you mentioned DQ11 is the only one I agree is better.

Also, said most if not all which means I didn’t say to begin with they were the only good games. So I didn’t go on to say anything in the last part of your comment.

Skelterz

I played each and every game you mentioned in that list to completion, more than once in most cases.

LO was an on par game, though, it’s a slog to play through in replays. Blue Dragon was not a better game, neither was Xenoblade which I consider both to be great games, Tokyo Mirage is not even close. I feel the same about Persona series as whole, uninspired dungeons, basically 3D visual novels with solid turn based combat.

Also, said most if not all which means I didn’t say to begin with they were the only good games. So I didn’t go on to say anything in the last part of your comment.
Everybody’s entitled to there own opinion bud I respectfully disagree Lol, I may have to replay 13 and see if I’m missing anything, 12 is solid as well loved the hunts in that game.

Velius

Banned
Honestly the pixel remasters suck, and FFVI is the worst of them. The character sprites actually look worse; even though there are more colors it actually has less depth. They look like they were made in fucking Mario Paint.

Also there are crucial problems that really take away from the impact of the game. In the original, Dancing Mad would play its movements through transitions, depending on when you destroyed the bosses on any given level of the tower. Now, when you finish the enemy, the music stops and then cuts to the next movement.

It's a perfect example of the primary characteristic of these remasters- Fucking lazy.

Synless

Everybody’s entitled to there own opinion bud I respectfully disagree Lol, I may have to replay 13 and see if I’m missing anything, 12 is solid as well loved the hunts in that game.
I was going to edit my last statement to say, obviously these are all opinions of a person. I can’t convince anyone to like a game because I liked it. We will agree to disagree.

Synless

Honestly the pixel remasters suck, and FFVI is the worst of them. The character sprites actually look worse; even though there are more colors it actually has less depth. They look like they were made in fucking Mario Paint.

Also there are crucial problems that really take away from the impact of the game. In the original, Dancing Mad would play its movements through transitions, depending on when you destroyed the bosses on any given level of the tower. Now, when you finish the enemy, the music stops and then cuts to the next movement.

It's a perfect example of the primary characteristic of these remasters- Fucking lazy.
The also censored Celes getting her ass beat for being a spy… because women apparently don’t get hit for being a spy. Instead she collapses because the guard tells her tomorrow will be a rough day for her.

What about Final Fantasy XV Pocket?

Last edited:

Daytonabot

Banned
Square Enix is crazy, they'll port their most obscure RPGs everywhere but relegates the legacy titles of their two biggest money makers (Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest) to mobile and steam. It's a mess and at this point I can see Bouncer having a remaster before FF 1-6 hit consoles.
Dragon Quest I-III are on Switch but should be on Steam.

Last edited:

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
SE should announce and release FF16, TWEWY Neo and Kingdom Heart games on Steam first.

Also FF7 Remake to Xbox/Steam

akimbo009

Gold Member
I loved the first 5. I'd love to play them in console form as was again.. but don't know if this is the way to do it.

SumJester

The also censored Celes getting her ass beat for being a spy… because women apparently don’t get hit for being a spy. Instead she collapses because the guard tells her tomorrow will be a rough day for her.
So she just pass out from words?
From captured general to damsel in distress... how progressive of you Square.

EDMIX

I don’t know man maybe inevitably for one platform but who knows about all 3.

That is true though. Likely coming to PS, but for XB, Nintendo, I guess its up to how those past FF ports did. I recall Square making a big push on Switch and XB having stuff like FFXII come over and other ports and such, but I don't really know how that turned out for them to be honest.

If those pixel remasters don't come over, we have our answer to if they care to continue to invest those older ports on those platforms.

They tried.

Maybe it was too late and majority of that base is just PS now. Its hard to be a FF fan on those other platforms like "I only wish to play SOME of the FF games" lol Maybe Square should have did that transition sooner or something.

I realize a lot of people are nostalgic for the SNES chiptunes but the FF6 soundtrack deserved better and with the Pixel remaster it finally got it.

ethomaz

Banned
Well FFXII is in my TOP3 FFs.
Tô be fair FFVI and FFXII are the best FF ever created imo.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
I realize a lot of people are nostalgic for the SNES chiptunes but the FF6 soundtrack deserved better and with the Pixel remaster it finally got it.
I agree if it was fundamentally a upgrade in quality… I mean use the orquestra FFVI original songs.

But they changed too much to be good to the point to lose the scene/act meaning.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Finally, a PC exclusive that makes the console peasants seethe. :messenger_sunglasses:

... now seriously, is there anything in those remasters worth it? Compared to, I dunno, playing the originals emulated on a CRT?

Skelterz

Finally, a PC exclusive that makes the console peasants seethe. :messenger_sunglasses:

... now seriously, is there anything in those remasters worth it? Compared to, I dunno, playing the originals emulated on a CRT?
Trophy support and owning the complete collection on one console would be pretty nice.

Naked Lunch

Im going to say this is a lock for console releases at some point.
Ive been putting off playing the FF originals on NES and SNES hardware cause these are very likely to drop soon.

I thought SDL had console support?
Sdl is just a library of functions. It has versions on windows and Linux, and I think phones. I'm sure a version could be made for consoles, although most likely they would just use an existing console library and code to that. The main code is already there with the existing games.

I tried porting my small roguelike that I made in c++ to the psp and then android, only to find no libraries for libtcod existed on those, and it would need to be done in something else. So I never did the port.

Of course thats me. I'm not square Enix with a billions of dollars. It was a learning experience not a business role. There is no reason square Enix can't port their pixel game. Tons of pixel games exist on consoles.

I'd buy them in a heartbeat on switch.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Lol though, this is my point we shouldn't have to were talking about the biggest JRPG franchise of all time here 1-10 by this point should just always be available on every platform it makes no sense.

But people were saying the pixel remasters are trash with ugly UI, shitty font and missing contents etc and a lot more
Since the pixel remasters ain't good why port them to consoles? Make no sense.

Yumi

What are the difference for pixel remasters to the original?
I dipped into Final Fantasy 1 pixel remaster for a couple hours. The new renditions of the music was the high point for me. I didn’t like how easy they made it though. Would have liked something between what they gave us and the original in terms of difficulty.

Edit: oh, and quality of life improvements to the menu system and equipment. And if you attack and enemy who has died, it automatically attacks an enemy who is alive unlike the original.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
I dipped into Final Fantasy 1 pixel remaster for a couple hours. The new renditions of the music was the high point for me. I didn’t like how easy they made it though. Would have liked something between what they gave us and the original in terms of difficulty.

Edit: oh, and quality of life improvements to the menu system and equipment. And if you attack and enemy who has died, it automatically attacks an enemy who is alive unlike the original.
That feels weird :D
I mean if you are attacking with a Sword an enemy and he dies with arrow for exemple... or your sword still hit it or you cancel the attack... but you need a new virtual turn to attack another enemy (you need for example turn around, move to another enemy and then do the new attack).
Attacking the target that already died seems fair and part of the strategy imo.
But it is not a big deal.

I was talking more about FFVI... I don't think I have the guts to play all the others again.

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
But…it’s already on a console 😏

tfngiZJ.jpg
This would be ideal if everyone decided to make an investment in a Steam Deck. What’s odd is the Switch gets some very odd releases. This month it’s getting the Force Unleashed for $20. I paid under $5 for the ultimate edition on Steam years ago. What we get versus what’s possible shows you a huge disconnect from the people running these companies. There may be issues we don’t know about or ones they don’t talk about. Final Fantasy is a huge brand around the world. I feel like Square-Enix has made some of the worst choices about their classic IP’s. They do something amazing and you can see where they fail to see it through to the end.

Yumi

That feels weird :D
I mean if you are attacking with a Sword a enemy and he dies with arrow for exemplo... or your sword still hit it or you cancel the attack... but you need a new virtual turn to attack another enemy (you need for example turn around, move to another enemy and then do the new attack).
Attacking the target that already died seems fair and part of the strategy imo.
But it is not a big deal.

I was talking more about FFVI... I don't think I have the guts to play all the others again.
In the minority probably but I agree. I remember that being part of the strategy growing up, knowing if someone’s attack would finish a specific monster off or not.

Yeah, like I said, only put a couple hours in the check it out. FFVI and IVI could see myself playing again as well.

Skelterz

Probably in the minority here, but I just wish they'd release them all as separate physical copies, for Switch. I'd buy them in a heart beat.
I’d like a physical release also but 1-6 on a single disc/cart would be fine by me.

Last edited:

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler

TheInfamousKira alt confirmed.

....wait, no.

Top Bottom