• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • The Politics forum has been nuked. Please do not bring political discussion to the rest of the site, or you will be removed. Thanks.

Square Enix issuing field destroy credit to retailers for Final Fantasy XIV inventory

thekonamicode

Jan 29, 2012
My Square Enix rep this morning emailed me the following. All retailers are to destroy remaining inventory of Final Fantasy XIV today.

This belongs in Gaming, not Off-Topic if a mod can help me out.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
May 3, 2010
US
I wonder why?

I have to go get a copy before it's too late! We cannot let this be buried like E.T.

The world must know physical copies existed.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Sep 1, 2006
-

Silas Lang

Mar 8, 2012
So are they literally going to destroy their copies? Seems like a waste if that's the case. Why not just put them out on clearance?

bjork

Jun 8, 2004
I bet the Wal-Mart by my house will still have this full price in like 2019. They have some Madden 07 champion edition or something for full price still.

krae_man

Jan 5, 2008
Waterloo, Ontario
I bet the Wal-Mart by my house will still have this full price in like 2019. They have some Madden 07 champion edition or something for full price still.

I remember my local Zellers having a lone copy of Tecmo Super Bowl for $99.99 for years. Super Bowl 2, and 3 came out, the N64 came out, and it was still up there unsold.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
Jan 26, 2009
Chicago

RSLAEV

Apr 5, 2006
Gonna go home tonight and make sure my original game disc is still safe. If not I guess I'll buy another copy

Aeana

Jul 10, 2006
Gonna go home tonight and make sure my original game disc is still safe. If not I guess I'll buy another copy
You don't need the disc, just the key associated with your account. Once 2.0 launches, it'll be a brand new client download.

zlatko

Banned
Dec 17, 2009
Destroying copies? What a waste. Can I go to GS and just ask for a copy for free then since they'd have to destroy it anyway?

see5harp

May 12, 2009
Sacramento, CA
I wonder if I can snag a disc/code from the Gamestop clerks for an extra value meal or something. Do you need to send the code in to get credit for your store?

zroid

Banned
Nov 7, 2011
GameStop will probably remove the keys, then destroy the boxes, and sell the keys standalone.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
May 10, 2009
Ottawa, Canada
16$ for destruction? Quite a bargain, considering I've seen them in bargain bins for 5. Free money for a little bit of fun and environmental damage.

MotionBlue

Apr 12, 2011
Destroying copies? What a waste. Can I go to GS and just ask for a copy for free then since they'd have to destroy it anyway?

No, the shop and its workers would be breaking corporate contracts. Getting caught would guarantee being fired, if not fined.

You have to physically destroy them too, when I worked at Gamestop a similar notice went out for DC Universe. We had to open and break game disc's and smash the collector edition statues.

Jarnet87

Mar 6, 2012
Got my CE copy sitting in the closet =/. Dam did I feel stupid for being on the FF14 hype train.