• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix issuing field destroy credit to retailers for Final Fantasy XIV inventory

My Square Enix rep this morning emailed me the following. All retailers are to destroy remaining inventory of Final Fantasy XIV today.

TuOxA.jpg

This belongs in Gaming, not Off-Topic if a mod can help me out.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
I wonder why?

I have to go get a copy before it's too late! We cannot let this be buried like E.T.

The world must know physical copies existed.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Don't blame them, Final Fantasy XIV was a really shitty album. I really hate when bands like Square Enix go mainstream. Bullshit.

So are they literally going to destroy their copies? Seems like a waste if that's the case. Why not just put them out on clearance?

bjork

I bet the Wal-Mart by my house will still have this full price in like 2019. They have some Madden 07 champion edition or something for full price still.

Probably destroying it because, IIRC, owning the original release grants you free access to the 2.0 beta and client.
Very inexpensive barrier of entry if you can find it.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
if romney were president, that field destroy credit would be 32 dollars for Gamestop/BestBuy/Target and 8 dollars for independent game stores.

krae_man

I bet the Wal-Mart by my house will still have this full price in like 2019. They have some Madden 07 champion edition or something for full price still.

I remember my local Zellers having a lone copy of Tecmo Super Bowl for $99.99 for years. Super Bowl 2, and 3 came out, the N64 came out, and it was still up there unsold.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
How stupid. What's the cheapest place to buy it online right now? If under 10, I will buy right this second.

RSLAEV

Gonna go home tonight and make sure my original game disc is still safe. If not I guess I'll buy another copy

Aeana

Gonna go home tonight and make sure my original game disc is still safe. If not I guess I'll buy another copy
You don't need the disc, just the key associated with your account. Once 2.0 launches, it'll be a brand new client download.

zlatko

Banned
Destroying copies? What a waste. Can I go to GS and just ask for a copy for free then since they'd have to destroy it anyway?

see5harp

I wonder if I can snag a disc/code from the Gamestop clerks for an extra value meal or something. Do you need to send the code in to get credit for your store?

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
16$ for destruction? Quite a bargain, considering I've seen them in bargain bins for 5. Free money for a little bit of fun and environmental damage.

Destroying copies? What a waste. Can I go to GS and just ask for a copy for free then since they'd have to destroy it anyway?

No, the shop and its workers would be breaking corporate contracts. Getting caught would guarantee being fired, if not fined.

You have to physically destroy them too, when I worked at Gamestop a similar notice went out for DC Universe. We had to open and break game disc's and smash the collector edition statues.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Bah, I was going to buy FF14 vanilla for 11 and shipping but I guess it will not be valid eh?

I won't bite on A Realm Reborn for 30 and then pay a sub fee. Not at this time.

Top Bottom