• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix Japan = New IP Action RPG with UE3, For Consoles [Update: First Artwork]

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
ue3semy7ni.png

http://www.square-enix.com/jp/recruit/career/job/game/new_action_rpg_index.html

http://andriasang.com/comz5i/square_enix_unreal_first_art/

Planner (Action) -- work on creating the specifications and data for the game's action, focusing on combat action
Planner (Writing) -- work on writing the text for the game and scenario
Planner (Level) -- work on level and field design via UnrealEngine 3, and positioning enemies, items and so-forth
Game Programmer -- work on areas like camera control and AI
Network Programmer -- work on such areas as matching and network synchronization during gameplay
3D Graphics Programmer -- work on real time 3D graphics realization and optimization
Physics Programmer -- work on in-game physics simulation and optimization
Animation Programmer -- work on 3D model animation
Art Designer -- background art (image and gadgets) and character and enemy art and design
Motion Designer -- work on game character motion
VFX Designer -- work on effects for action scenes, cut-scenes and so-forth
BG Modeler -- work on production of 3D backgrounds, also work on level design through Unreal Engine 3 editor
Character Modeler -- work on modeling for characters and enemies, taking artwork and going through process of high mesh, modeling, bone, texture and material

---

http://andriasang.com/comz4f/?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed
The magazine apparently has details on a massive, original action RPG thats being produced by Ryutaro Ichimura. The game uses the Unreal Engine and is being made for consoles, with Square Enix also looking at the possibility of releasing it on next generation platforms as well.

The game is being developed internally at Square Enix. Its core staff is around 35 people, with Square Enix planning on soon holding a large scale recruiting.

The magazine shows illustrations and character art. The person who's providing all this information says that it looks like the game is clearly targeting overseas markets.

The new game is being developed internally at Square Enix under the eye of Ryutaro Ichimura. Ichimura's exact role on the game is unclear, but he's usually a producer.

While the game goes unnamed in the magazine, it will not be a Dragon Quest or Final Fantasy game.

In comments shared with Famitsu, Ichimura reveals that he and the game's staff traveled the world for the past two years and conducted user surveys to research art and gameplay direction for the game. They've finalized the basics.

Famitsu shows image art for what appears to be a main character, heroine, rival and boss. No solid details are provided, so these are just guesses.

It looks like Famitsu's reveal article is meant to be part of a staff solicitation to join the current core team of 35. Square Enix is looking for planners, programmers (network, 3D graphics, physics, animation) and designers (art, motion, VFX, background modeling and character modeling).

We'll likely get official announcement of the project and the job solicitation later this week.
ULTROS! said:
More details:

http://andriasang.com/comz4s/

A few bits have surfaced on Square Enix's new Unreal Engine project that sees its debut in this week's Famitsu.

The project is revealed in an interview with Ryutaro Ichimura, who says that two years following the development of Dragon Quest IX, which he produced, he's "graduated" from the Dragon Quest team and is now working on a number of new titles. This original action RPG is one of those projects.

The game's platform has not been finalized, although the general idea is for it to be released on consoles. Depending on the timing, they may also look into a release on next generation platforms.

Famitsu shows just a few concept art pieces for the game. These include buildings that appear to be out of middle ages Europe, and middle ages European style characters.

Just from the looks, the game may appear to be "Westernish," but Ichimura says that it doesn't necessarily target overseas players. Rather, it's meant to represent a challenge where Japanese developers create an interesting game that is meant for worldwide release.

The development staff is working closely with overseas staff, though, as one concern is that the end result of a Japanese developer making a game set in an overseas environment might seem fake.

They're taking the approach of not forcing what they want to make into the game, but seeing what users want and going from there. For the past couple of years, they've been touring the world, conducting surveys of users, and redoing the specifications through test play. They're at the point where theY've finalized the basic research and technological aspects.

The game's core staff consists of around 35 people. Each area of development has just a few people. While the core staff has experience in RPGs, they need support from people with experience in action game development and network technology.

They'll be seeking out staff via a recruitment site which will open later this week.

So yeah, this seems to be looking like a project similar to what The Last Remnant had in mind... Targeting an international audience that both Eastern and Western demographics will like.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I hope it's a J Action RPG. :p

So is it going to be released for this generation's consoles or for the next?

Seda

I hope it's a J Action RPG. :p

So is it going to be released for this generation's consoles or for the next?

"with Square Enix also looking at the possibility of releasing it on next generation platforms as well."

so...

you can infer it's being developed for current gen consoles at the moment.

Yoshiya

What happened to the two HD engines they were working on all gen? SE is terrible

Crystal Tools (or whatever it ended up being called) was a failure and Luminous is nowhere near ready and not targeted at this gen. I have some faith they'll make it with the latter, but I can understand them falling back on UE3 as a stopgap.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
The problem with Crystal Tools is that it is effectively three separate engines, one for XIII/2, XIV and Versus, and not one unified platform.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
not a good news for PS3 only owners. :(

As far as I know, Batman: Arkham Asylum used UE3 and it looked great on the PS3.

The problem lies with the developers... And SE didn't use UE3 efficiently (and effectively) when developing The Last Remnant, and it ended up messy (long loading times in the 360, lots of texture popping). Hopefully this game will be developed nicely.

LiK

As far as I know, Batman: Arkham Asylum used UE3 and it looked great on the PS3.

The problem lies with the developers... And SE didn't use UE3 efficiently (and effectively) when developing The Last Remnant, and it ended up messy (long loading times in the 360, lots of texture popping). Hopefully this game will be developed nicely.

UE3 gets too much hate. Bioshock Infinite will use it too and that looks awesome.

oh I know, Mortal Kombat and Batman are great on PS3. I just don't have that confidence with Squenix though.

The Last Remnant could have been incredible if Square-Enix sanded the (very) rough edges and polished it up a fair bit.

I'd be down for a sequel.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair

Alice: Madness Returns also ran on UE3 on the PS3, and generally played just fine

Please buy Alice: Madness Returns ;_;

kuroshiki

I don't care about UE3. It's just that whenever a Japanese developer decides to aim specifically for the Western market, the results usually leave something to be desired.

Usually? More like western targeted Japanese developed games always turns out to be a crap.

Demons souls was not even intended to be a Western-focused game, mind you, and that's the closest thing I can think of as a 'success'.

Top Bottom