• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix Japan = New IP Action RPG with UE3, For Consoles [Update: First Artwork]

As far as I know, Batman: Arkham Asylum used UE3 and it looked great on the PS3.

The problem lies with the developers... And SE didn't use UE3 efficiently (and effectively) when developing The Last Remnant, and it ended up messy (long loading times in the 360, lots of texture popping). Hopefully this game will be developed nicely.

And if not, hopefully they make a vastly superior PC version again!

weeaboo

>In comments shared with Famitsu, Ichimura reveals that he and the game's staff traveled the world for the past two years and conducted user surveys to research art and gameplay direction for the game.

>The person who's providing all this information says that it looks like the game is clearly targeting overseas markets.

Not sure if want, probably not

RaijinFY

>In comments shared with Famitsu, Ichimura reveals that he and the game's staff traveled the world for the past two years and conducted user surveys to research art and gameplay direction for the game.

>The person who's providing all this information says that it looks like the game is clearly targeting overseas markets.

Not sure if want, probably not

If they want to do a big budget title, they better target overseas markets.

No. They should make the game that appeal their own market and then try to appeal it to overseas.

Spoiler: International market is their own market now.

It's not like Witcher 2 was made just for Poland. The ethnicity or geographic location of the individual development team shouldn't matter when designing an entertainment product.

kuroshiki

Spoiler: International market is their own market now.

It's not like Witcher 2 was made just for Poland. The ethnicity or geographic location of the individual development team shouldn't matter when designing an entertainment product.

Witcher 2 is considered as a western market game created by western developers.

kuroshiki

Appealing to everyone like they always did with Final Fantasy nope?

True.

But before Final Fantasy 6 (3 in US) and 7, FF was not a... main franchise in US that everyone recognized. So Square Enix should do what they do best as a Japanese developers.

kuroshiki

So in your opinion, a Japanese developer must only consider the Japanese market or risk making a bad game?

In my opinion Japanese developers should first consider what they do best in the first place instead of keep pretending they understand western market. They don't, and their so called 'western targeted game' shows they absolutely have no idea about their audience.

This is all about 'know your audience', the first step of business.

PokéKong

Daymn, for a moment I started to get my hopes up that they were reviving Fortress. But then they say it's no FF.

Oh well, doesn't hurt to get more new IPs from SE...

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
More details:

http://andriasang.com/comz4s/

A few bits have surfaced on Square Enix's new Unreal Engine project that sees its debut in this week's Famitsu.

The project is revealed in an interview with Ryutaro Ichimura, who says that two years following the development of Dragon Quest IX, which he produced, he's "graduated" from the Dragon Quest team and is now working on a number of new titles. This original action RPG is one of those projects.

The game's platform has not been finalized, although the general idea is for it to be released on consoles. Depending on the timing, they may also look into a release on next generation platforms.

Famitsu shows just a few concept art pieces for the game. These include buildings that appear to be out of middle ages Europe, and middle ages European style characters.

Just from the looks, the game may appear to be "Westernish," but Ichimura says that it doesn't necessarily target overseas players. Rather, it's meant to represent a challenge where Japanese developers create an interesting game that is meant for worldwide release.

The development staff is working closely with overseas staff, though, as one concern is that the end result of a Japanese developer making a game set in an overseas environment might seem fake.

They're taking the approach of not forcing what they want to make into the game, but seeing what users want and going from there. For the past couple of years, they've been touring the world, conducting surveys of users, and redoing the specifications through test play. They're at the point where theY've finalized the basic research and technological aspects.

The game's core staff consists of around 35 people. Each area of development has just a few people. While the core staff has experience in RPGs, they need support from people with experience in action game development and network technology.

They'll be seeking out staff via a recruitment site which will open later this week.

So yeah, this seems to be looking like a project similar to what The Last Remnant had in mind... Targeting an international audience that both Eastern and Western demographics will like.

Aegus

What I don't get is that art design for games seem to either go to 1 extreme (bald space marine types) to the other (effeminate man girls). Square had the perfect designs all the way up to FFXII that appealed to both east and west, then they suddenly went Kingdom Hearts style insane on all their games.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
create an interesting game that is meant for worldwide release

OMG world-wide release!!

I remember "An RPG, for the WORLD!"

It turned out to be....

Last Remnant.

lol

So yeah, this seems to be looking like a project similar to what The Last Remnant had in mind... Targeting an international audience that both Eastern and Western demographics will like.

Yeah that turned out great.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
What I don't get is that art design for games seem to either go to 1 extreme (bald space marine types) to the other (effeminate man girls). Square had the perfect designs all the way up to FFXII that appealed to both east and west, then they suddenly went Kingdom Hearts style insane on all their games.

Final Fantasy has effeminate man girls for longer than that. Paladin Cecil is about the girliest thing on the planet

first screenshot leaked

bethesda-announce-hunpxe4f.jpg

I that David Bowie using a bow?

DaBuddaDa

Not to beat an already dead horse, but this at face value just sounds like The Last Remnant playing out all over again. I hope they do a better job of this this time around.

Whenever I hear about a game trying to appeal to one specific demographic, I can't help but think that the story will end up a cliche riddled mess; a mess that's driven by flat, one dimensional, stereotypical characters.

Rad-

Did FFXII target both markets? Because it felt quite "western" in design. SE should do more of that style games.

jorgeton

How do I get in with SE so I can participate in these international focus groups they keep mentioning?

Anyway, am cautiously optimistic. I would rather them work on a new IP and try new things than remain stale and keep churning out the same old franchise games.

Just please please no more teenage boys as main characters. Loved Last Remnant despite Rush Sykes (ughhh) being the protagonist. The game should've been all about the Conqueror.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Yeah, I think it's quite offensive to speak of FFXII as "western-like" art direction when our games never did get close to achieve something so truly beautiful. I prefer to hear of an "international" type of style in regards to that, because there's alot of Japan in FFXII art direction, like in Nintendo's "international" games.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Oh boy! Medieval type European environments! So excited.

Yup, there's an interesting setting that you NEVER see in RPGs! Well at least Japanese devs behind it could mean the combat system may not entirely be crap... but still, the more I hear about this the more I lose interest.

S-E Japan making new IP :D
Action RPG :)
UE3 :-\
Medieval Euro environments and "worldwide appeal" :(

Labadal

I wonder if this isn't the Fortess concept finally coming into fruition? This is at least my uneducated guess. It was also an action rpg with medieval type enviroments. Guess we will know soon enough.

Aru

Square Enix is the king of A-RPG, so it can't be bad.

Goes on Wikipedia, sees Dawn of Mana in the list of S-E A-RPG.

Oh God.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Square Enix is the king of A-RPG, so it can't be bad.

Goes on Wikipedia, sees Dawn of Mana in the list of S-E A-RPG.

Oh God.

King? Since when? They have S-E Osaka, but I doubt Tai Yasue is working on this.

Aru

Falcom would like to have a word with you.

All Ys games on PSP and Ys VI on PC are in my backlog, maybe I'll change my mind later when I've played them :p

But for now, KH series is the best A-RPG series for me.
Also, Crisis Core was great (kinda A-RPG).
TWEWY was uber awesome (kinda A-RPG too).
Mana series (1, 2, 3, LoM and SoM. The rest is mediocre at best) is one of the best A-RPG series too.
Infinite Undiscovery was fun (but sadly not in the same league as other S-E published/developed games).

So yeah, S-E is king.

Top Bottom