• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • The Politics forum has been nuked. Please do not bring political discussion to the rest of the site, or you will be removed. Thanks.

Square Enix launches Dive In streaming service in Japan for mobile (FFXIII,FFVII,etc)

KoopaTheCasual

Jun 5, 2013
New York, NY
Yes this is another lol square thread.

Because they should have at least tried porting stuff to PC or next gen post instead of a pointless and expensive mobile service in japan.

They've already announced projects of streaming services to PC, and this one is seemingly specifically for Japan. You really expect SE to announce a PC streaming initiative in Japan?

If they did that, then the "lol square" posts would actually be warranted.

Mory Dunz

Jun 12, 2012
The PC and 360 versions of TLR released in Japan.

Not the most popular platforms there, but they've had a chance to play it. :p

Yeah, I emphasized really play it. They could've but judging by it still being on the most wanted list, I guess they didn't.

MUnited83

For you.
Dec 14, 2013
I wouldn't want to play these controller based games on touch screens. Secondly, I am not a fan of rentals, but I can see it appeal some, so why not.

Just don't stop making your console games for consoles, Square.

You can still use controllers.

Alucrid

Banned
May 30, 2009
at least lightning returns will look better with half of the screen covered by my thumbs

Reveirg

Jan 31, 2011
Maybe S-E can now focus on console/handheld titles instead of mobile ones, considering those will now be easily "portable" to mobile =P.

HeelPower

Mar 12, 2013
They've already announced projects of streaming services to PC, and this one is seemingly specifically for Japan. You really expect SE to announce a PC streaming initiative in Japan?

no.

I want to play all FF games on PC/Next gen.Including the FF13 trilogy.

t26

Dec 28, 2011
I can understand streaming FF13, but can't they just release a port of FFVII on itune/android and be done with it?

Javaman

Jan 20, 2005
SC
I don't imagine that the market is going to be very big for this due to the onscreen controls and WiFi required. Why play tHe game in a mobile device if you're at the house? Who is the market of thus for? People at work or hanging out at Starbucks? I just don't get it.

Bummer you can't just flat out buy them either.

Edge_Maverick

Aug 1, 2009
Brazil
twitter.com
This is going to be at TGS:

http://www.jp.square-enix.com/tgs14/divein/

duckroll

Jun 7, 2004
I totally missed this announcement earlier. Pretty interesting that Square Enix is really into this cloud streaming thing now.

Tripon

May 24, 2013
Wonder how this affects PSNow. Seems like every major publisher is trying to make their own service rather than just rely on MS, Sony, or Nintendo to provide the platform.

Tabris

Jun 8, 2004
Ugh. I should just swear off Japanese game developers 100% so I don't have go through this pain.

Cheeky

Oct 22, 2013
sörine;129091235 said:
After DQX I wonder if some of these will come to 3DS?

I would hope not, DQX 3DS has been very poorly received due to unstable connections(to the point of the tutorial being unplayable) and various compression related issues.

Best they fix that stuff first. Amazon JP isnt even selling it anymore.

Dunan

Mar 6, 2010
Shinjuku, Tokyo
Ah, just what I want, to discover a game so wonderful that I'd play through it every year for a decade... and then discover that SE would want $180 in rental fees (plus tax) for that period.

dramatis

May 28, 2008
Well, they built the technology, no? I remember they had a presentation about their cloud/streaming tech a while ago, in which they demonstrated FF11 and some other games.

I think when they were hiring for positions for this thing, it was called Square Enix Bridges, and not Dive In.

Interesting app, but bad name as usual.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Sep 10, 2007
Wonder how this affects PSNow. Seems like every major publisher is trying to make their own service rather than just rely on MS, Sony, or Nintendo to provide the platform.
More competition for game console makers sounds good to me if it means we get better prices as consumers at some point

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
I would hope not, DQX 3DS has been very poorly received due to unstable connections(to the point of the tutorial being unplayable) and various compression related issues.

Best they fix that stuff first. Amazon JP isnt even selling it anymore.

I heard some complaints as well and some rumours of stores taking down the stock (?!). Read them from some Chinese forum so not sure how reliable they are. People also have trouble reading the text because of the 3DS's screen size and resolution and a 3DS Xl doesn't help much.

RalchAC

Jun 9, 2013
Prices aren't bad. I'd pay 5€ for a 10 days rental if they actually had a game I want on the service.

Not FFVII since I can pay it on my Vita and not XIII since I don't care about it, but it'd be interesting if you could plug your phone to a tv via hdmi and play those games with a wireless controller.

Toth

Jan 27, 2010
Graphics aside, it looks so cumbersome to play these games with that interface...

ConceptX

Aug 29, 2014
United Kingdom
Can someone explain exactly how this works, I assume an instance of the game is created on a server, thus all processing power is used there, not on the tablet/phone?

Also, if they do this, then atleast release FF13 on Steam, I'm not a fan of the 13 saga...but...I would buy it on Steam because the original at least, has fantastic graphics.

Oh man FFX HD and 12 on Steam, a man can dream.

R10Neymarfan

Jan 14, 2013
San Antonio, TX

Why even stream of PC? lol PC should be doing the stream not the other way around. Unless it was console exclusives from Sony/MS, you better darn well demand a true PC release rather then a stream that would you don't own and would cost the same.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
Feb 22, 2014
Chicago
So it's just a Square-Enix flavored PS Now service? No thanks I still don't think this game streaming service is the "future" for video games.