• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix launches Dive In streaming service in Japan for mobile (FFXIII,FFVII,etc)

Exentryk

divein.jp.square-enix.com

You can now play Lightning Returns on mobile. Still have to purchase the titles, but first 30 minutes are free. "Dive In" is the app that you need, and it should be available for both iOS and Android. Service starts in October.

HQue7Vr.png

9Jk9zRC.png

vmDO4YS.png

Some images from Dive In.

Mesoian

Stream from where? Is this just a square-centric on-live?

Edit: 5 dollar rental for 10 days is pretty good...These aren't the games i'd want to play like this but...their pricing isn't bad.

Deft Beck

Why would I rent one game for an entire year for $20? A used disc copy is about the same amount and I can keep it for much longer.

Comandr

Finally. There's the FF7 mobile release we have been hearing rumors about. This also explains their new console studio. To make console games to make mobile games.

Yodawg.png

Toparaman

Banned
Finally. There's the FF7 mobile release we have been hearing rumors about. This also explains their new console studio. To make console games to make mobile games.

Yodawg.png

What if it was the remake everyone's been waiting for?

Oh the rage at a mobile-only version.

KoopaTheCasual

*Square launches forward thinking initiative at very reasonable prices and simply mentions Lightning Returns*

"Omg SE stop pushing FFXIII!"

Ugh. Can't we acknowledge that this is a pretty intense service that could be a glimpse into the future of games never being bound by hardware? Or is this going to be another "lol square!" thread?

Rpgmonkey

Think it says LR is coming 2015.

Final Fantasy XIII, Final Fantasy VII, and Season of Mystery when the service starts in October, Final Fantasy VIII and The Last Remnant in November, Final Fantasy XIII-2 and Murdered: Soul Suspect in December, and Lightning Returns (among other titles) sometime in 2015.

Having The Last Remnant is pretty cool...

TheContact

That's cool. Eventually, all games will just be streamed to devices. We'll be able to play all our games on any kind of smart device we own

Exentryk

I wouldn't want to play these controller based games on touch screens. Secondly, I am not a fan of rentals, but I can see it appeal some, so why not.

Just don't stop making your console games for consoles, Square.

Huh.

So would this be running some weird PC version of FFXIII or would Square have a bunch of PS3's or 360's racked up somewhere?

Mory Dunz

Final Fantasy XIII, Final Fantasy VII, and Season of Mystery when the service starts in October, Final Fantasy VIII and The Last Remnant in November, Final Fantasy XIII-2 and Murdered: Soul Suspect in December, and Lightning Returns (among other titles) sometime in 2015.

Having The Last Remnant is pretty cool...

Wait...so Japan will finally really play TLR??
After like, 6-7 years?

Interesting. But I hope that it doesn't mean they won't be on PS Now. If there could be good competition on prices it would be good.

Individual publishers having their own services would be too fragmented.

Sounds really cool and the prices seem fair. Only problem is some of these games can be really tough to play on a touch screen. FF13 especially.

Interesting. But I hope that it doesn't mean they won't be on PS Now. If there could be good competition on prices it would be good.

Individual publishers having their own services would be too fragmented.

Why would they get rid of it? This is for mobile devices. It's not like Square is launching this for playstation systems.

MUnited83

For you.
... nice. They had one streaming service for some of their PC games but it was essentially useless as most games available were not exactly demanding in any way. Being able to play former console exclusive games with this is great.

I do wonder what they exactly use to run the game and stream it. Are they using PS3 parts to do it, and if so, are they paying royalties to Sony? Or are they streaming from a native PC version?(would love if it was the latter)

AniHawk

Can't we acknowledge that this is a pretty intense service that could be a glimpse into the future of games never being bound by hardware? Or is this going to be another "lol square!" thread?

that seems to be the underlying trend this gen. ps now, ea access, wb play, and now this in addition to other services like steam, gog, and desura. it's only going to become more common. i wonder if we'll see the unification of third parties under new rule in a good 15-20 years or if everyone will be off in charge of their separate kingdoms.

JoJoSono

Banned
Would'nt mind playing FF13 on a vita or an ipad. Still am pretty skeptical of all these streaming services, but a square one that gave me access to thier library on a variety of platforms would be very nice.

HeelPower

*Square launches forward thinking initiative at very reasonable prices and simply mentions Lightning Returns*

"Omg SE stop pushing FFXIII!"

Ugh. Can't we acknowledge that this is a pretty intense service that could be a glimpse into the future of games never being bound by hardware? Or is this going to be another "lol square!" thread?

Yes this is another lol square thread.

Because they should have at least tried porting stuff to PC or next gen post instead of a pointless and expensive mobile service in japan.

Cheaper prices than their titles on PS Now for how long you get vs price you pay.

I tried FF13 on PSNow.

It doesn't even look half as good as the game did on PS3 and its laggy, grainy and expensive as hell.

Top Bottom