• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix lists upcoming games, doesn't list Kingdom Hearts 3 as 2017

entremet

Do you guys KH3 will even be a big deal? i feel like the franchise has been so mismanaged due to all the platforms and what not. Plus no original console version in ages.

i mean the original KH fans are adults now. And the esoteric storyline will be hard to entice a new audience.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Do you guys KH3 will even be a big deal? i feel like the franchise has been so mismanaged due to all the platforms and what not. Plus no original console version in ages.

i mean the original KH fans are adults now. And the esoteric storyline will be hard to entice a new audience.

People gave the same excuses about FF15, and it turns out to be the fastest selling FF

I get frustrated because people become so hysterical about this stuff and refuse to listen to basic reason. Osaka team and CC2 are working as fast as they can on these games.

Of course it will. This will be the first KH game with a big budget marketing since KH II, featuring new worlds which people want to see like Big Hero 6, Tangled, etc etc (Frozen for example is a real possible addition that would attract tons of people).

FinalAres

I think what will attract people to it is what attracted people to it in the first place.

Great, simplistic gameplay, charming visuals, disney and final fantasy characters.

I don't think they can afford to rely on brand loyalty any more for the very reasons you gave!

Dragon Quest Meets Final Fantasy in Itadaki Street is coming over to the west?!?!?!

First thing I noticed as well. I always figured the chances were good. I've been playing the PS2 version lately and I think the only reason that didn't come out here was the poor timing of release (released a good year before DQ8 was released in the US and a good FOUR years before Nintendo's big push with IX and the DS remakes. It would've been a HUGE undertaking to localize all the DQ stuff in the game at the time, but now they wouldn't have to worry about that AND they seem to be pushing DQ in the West again anyway.

Edit: But yeah Kingdom Hearts boo :(

Betty

Banned

I'd say yes.

The reaction to the announcement shows how much it means to many people.

And I think it'll be a really great game whenever it's released.

KH3 has far bigger worlds and supposedly far more to do in the worlds than previous games. In the previous games each world was various rooms segmented by loading screens. This looks to be every world being completely open with a lot of vertical drops, highs and scale in general, in addition to far larger setpieces that take place in the world itself as opposed to a sealed off boss room(like we've seen with rocktitan)

Its definitely not the previous KH formula handhelds and console had.
I mean they've shown so little of it that I'm still on the wait and see fence about that. All I can say is when it does come out I get the feeling a lot of people are going to be there sitting are going to go "It took them that long for this?".

I mean FFXV may be a good game but it sure doesn't look like a game that took nearly 10~ years to come to fruition, I expect the same out of KH3 and I love the series.

Inuhanyou

I think what will attract people to it is what attracted people to it in the first place.

Great, simplistic gameplay, charming visuals, disney and final fantasy characters.

I don't think they can afford to rely on brand loyalty any more for the very reasons you gave!

Millions of people hung onto every word of 2.8, i don't think that really applies either. There are still a huge following of hardcore fans that hang out on KH oriented sites and forums.

Jigorath

Banned

Those HD ports have sold pretty well. There's still an audience there but I don't know if the sales can reach the heights it did in the PS2 era anymore.

Inuhanyou

I mean they've shown so little of it that I'm still on the wait and see fence about that. All I can say is when it does come out I get the feeling a lot of people are going to be there sitting are going to go "It took them that long for this?".

I mean FFXV may be a good game but it sure doesn't look like a game that took nearly 10~ years to come to fruition, I expect the same out of KH3 and I love the series.

That's because FF15 was only really started in 2012, so around 4 years of actual dev time. FFV13 was in preproduction for most of the time it was around as there was not staff working on large portions of the project due to various technical constraints, internal teams shuffling around taking most of the staff away from the Versus project.

It was for all intents and purposes on the backburner compared to FF13, FF 14 and later FF14 2.0 which had a large portion of internal staff on it to get it turned around in record time.

KH3 was not even a thing until DDD was finished in 2012, and they already had to reset themselves once in the move to UE4.

We have not been waiting until KH2 for KH3, atleast in regards to development.

Crash N-Sane Trilogy is one of the most hyped games among mainstream crowds this year. Nostalgia for the series + the Disney effect means KH will be fine.

The 1.5 + 2.5 collection also did pretty well in the latest NPD. That's not bad at all since it came off as a relatively low-key release.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
KR93TA2.gif

No but really, they've shown almost nothing of this and it was announced forever ago.

I'm going to miss Nemoy's Xehanort in 3.

I just remembered Christopher Lee too, how the hell did they get him in the first place?

Plus Wayne Allwine. I was thinking Christopher Lloyd would be a perfect new Xehanort but he's probably retired by the time the game is coming out.

Anyway, we just need to be patient. I'm sure at E3 we will get solid release info and footage blowoaaaahahahahaha

HMD

I don't know what to feel, I don't know if they can top KH1 in terms of everything but gameplay, or KH2 in terms of gameplay.

TDLink

Home version of Dissidia is still MIA as well...lol. I feel like I should just stop waiting on that one.

Gxgear

I don't think SE knows how to make games anymore. The last decent games they developed (not published) were...Dragon Quest Builders & FFXIV A Realm Reborn? Not counting FFXV personally as I think it's quite flawed.

Just hoping the game comes out at this point, and praying they don't fix what wasn't broke like they did with FF.

Mozendo

Dragon Quest Meets Final Fantasy in Itadaki Street is coming over to the west?!?!?!

If so maybe it means Dragon Quest X is coming out too since in the .pdf it says that it's releasing march 2018, but there's Japanese text under it so it might be referring to an expansion? But I don't think there's any expansions announced

But then again the .pdf lists mobile games that we haven't gotten in the west.
Edit: nevermind it's an expansion, phone cut out part of the slide

dan2026

Why are Square Enix so freaking slow at making games?

How many years have FFVII Remake and KH3 been in development now?

TDLink

I don't think SE knows how to make games anymore. The last decent games they developed (not published) were...Dragon Quest Builders & FFXIV A Realm Reborn? Not counting FFXV personally as I think it's quite flawed.

Nah Square in general has gotten a lot better since Matsuda took over. FF15, KH3, and FF7 specifically are all holdovers from the prior era of the company. Not coincidentally they've all been headed by Nomura. I legitimately feel he doesn't know how to set proper deadlines and hit milestones.

They've announced and delivered on time all of their other games recently. Setsuna and Nier Automata are perfect examples. DQ11, FF14 Stormblood, and Octopath Traveler are upcoming and haven't been endlessly delayed.

Top Bottom