• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix Montreal hints at major changes for Hitman series

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
In a Gamasutra blog posting that is presumably to help inspire more applications, Square Enix Montreal has promised some major changes for the Hitman series.

For those who have forgotten, Square Enix Montreal is making the next Hitman game after Absolution.

Gamasutra said:

Every time we mention we’re working on the Hitman franchise, we see a smile on our peers’ lips. The Hitman games best represent some of the things that gaming is all about: living, immersive worlds for you to play in, and the freedom to do things your way. Io Interactive have been doing a very good job of putting the player front and center and have given us some of the most memorable moments in gaming; emergent stories of how players completed missions shared at the water cooler, this to me is the core DNA of a Hitman game. I know how hard that is to create; I was at Io for the last 11 years. Our challenge is obviously to retain that DNA, while establishing ownership in our team and of our game.

Working with a completely new team around an established IP really gives us a unique perspective on what a Hitman game can be. We can revisit some of the “holy cows” from other Hitman games, and ask ourselves why and what in a new way, while creating a new and unique Hitman experience.

I am super excited about bringing one of the coolest IPs to one of biggest game development capitals in the world. While I can’t reveal any details right now, I can promise you that there’s going to be some unexpected surprises that will change the way you experience Hitman games. Forever.

Source: http://gamasutra.com/blogs/KarstenL...tman_Game_on_a_Postit_Square_Enix_Montral.php

On one hand I think Montreal has talented game developers and on the other hand I'm reminded of "Don't try to fix what isn't broken" and the state of games getting dumbed down these days.

IO wants to move on? Maybe they'll finally realize the full potential with Kane & Lynch, hahaha.

But man, Absolution looks killer. Today's new trailer is fantastic. If this is their swan song for the franchise, it looks like it will be a great one.

Hindle

Banned
These guys just love playing with my nerves. What do they mean major changes? If they move away from the sandbox design I'll be pissed.

I'm thinking multiplayer or co-op, is likely to be the change.

Almighty

Well I am very happy with the job Square Enix Montreal did with Deus Ex: Human Revolution. So I think they have earned at lest the benefit of the doubt from me with Hitman. As I assume the new Thief will be out first that will be a good test. If they do as well as a job with that as they did with Deus Ex I think Hitman will be in good hands.

Edit.
Wait. Are Square Enix Montreal and Edios Montreal the same studio just renamed or am I mistaken?

Hindle

Banned
IO wants to move on? Maybe they'll finally realize the full potential with Kane & Lynch, hahaha.

But man, Absolution looks killer. Today's new trailer is fantastic. If this is their swan song for the franchise, it looks like it will be a great one.

I think them and Montreal will alternate between games. It would allow the series to come out more often instead of the 6 years we saw between BM and Abolution.

Well I am very happy with the job Square Enix Montreal did with Deus Ex: Human Revolution. So I think they have earned at lest the benefit of the doubt from me with Hitman. As I assume the new Thief will be out first that will be a good test. If they do as well as a job with that as they did with Deus Ex I think Hitman will be in good hands.

Eidos Montreal and Square Enix Montreal are two seperate studios (Eidos did Deus Ex).

Derrick01

Banned
Calling it: First person perspective, plays a lot like DX:HR / Dishonored.

If I'm right mod me.

Eww no. We don't need Hitman to lose its stealth identity and become these games that don't bother designing well crafted areas because they just want to throw you in and let you do whatever you want.

Almighty

Eidos Montreal and Square Enix Montreal are two seperate studios (Eidos did Deus Ex).

Okay, thank you. After I some quick googling I was thinking I made a mistake. In that case I take back what i said and will now have to take the wait and see approach.

Derrick01

Banned
Derrick, did you watch the new trailer? I wanna know how severe your heart attack was.

Nope. The gaf thread said cinematic trailer and I assumed it would be full of things that have nothing to do with what makes Hitman special. I have no interest in cinematic shit in these games.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
Hmmmm, I am intrigued. I wonder if this could mean them trying to make the Hitman sandbox a coop experience? That could work I guess and would love to see what wacky creative ways that would inspire on target assassination or on how you stalk your prey.

Nope. The gaf thread said cinematic trailer and I assumed it would be full of things that have nothing to do with what makes Hitman special. I have no interest in cinematic shit in these games.

It's actually a "Cinema Trailer" It's cut to look like an 80s crime movie. It's actually awesome. It sheds a bit of light on the story. Not much, but a bit. Music is awesome.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
Their next game is a co-op third person shooter according to job postings.

They should definitely give Kane and Lynch another coop. I thought Dog Days was fantastic from a rough in the diamond perspective. They certainly made Shanghai one of the most unique looking worlds I've seen in recent shooters I remember. Third times the charm!

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
We can revisit some of the “holy cows” from other Hitman games, and ask ourselves why and what in a new way, while creating a new and unique Hitman experience.

Here's what defines Hitman to me:
The game is made up of levels of varying sizes. Levels contain people who have time-based AI cycles. The AI reacts to noise and sight, but otherwise follows a path through the level. Agent 47 is given a task which includes but is not limited to killing a single target in the level. He enters the level with an inventory of items, potentially including guns, and wearing his default suit clothing. Some items can be combined with environmental items (for example putting guns in a suitcase, injecting poison into food, etc) Agent 47 can change his clothing to be able to move around levels effectively without being noticed. There are security cameras and other environmental options for detecting Agent 47. Deaths can be made to look like accidents. Although Agent 47 is able to shoot, the levels are designed in such a way that a massacre is basically non-feasible and the preferred route involves avoiding conflicts rather than engaging them.

Does anyone feel that I have misrepresented the essence of the series?

What are the holy cows here? Which of these need to be questioned? I guess you could make the game a continuous open world instead of level based, but I can't help but think that that would be a grave error. What else?

They should definitely give Kane and Lynch another coop. I thought Dog Days was fantastic from a rough in the diamond perspective. They certainly made Shanghai one of the most unique looking worlds I've seen in recent shooters I remember. Third times the charm!

Agreed. That game has it's flaws, but from a character perspective, it's interesting, and holy crap, does it ooze style and atmosphere.

I want them to definitely give KL another shot. They seem to learn from each game, so they could deliver something truly special with KL3. Man, I'm imagining the club shootout from the first game with the style and pace of the second game. It'd be phenomenal.

Derrick01

Banned
It's actually a "Cinema Trailer" It's cut to look like an 80s crime movie. It's actually awesome. It sheds a bit of light on the story. Not much, but a bit. Music is awesome.

It sounds like what I thought it would be. Lots of shooting. Not interested.

Here's what defines Hitman to me:
The game is made up of levels of varying sizes. Levels contain people who have time-based AI cycles. The AI reacts to noise and sight, but otherwise follows a path through the level. Agent 47 is given a task which includes but is not limited to killing a single target in the level. He enters the level with an inventory of items, potentially including guns, and wearing his default suit clothing. Some items can be combined with environmental items (for example putting guns in a suitcase, injecting poison into food, etc) Agent 47 can change his clothing to be able to move around levels effectively without being noticed. There are security cameras and other environmental options for detecting Agent 47. Deaths can be made to look like accidents. Although Agent 47 is able to shoot, the levels are designed in such a way that a massacre is basically non-feasible and the preferred route involves avoiding conflicts rather than engaging them.

Does anyone feel that I have misrepresented the essence of the series?

What are the holy cows here? Which of these need to be questioned? I guess you could make the game a continuous open world instead of level based, but I can't help but think that that would be a grave error. What else?

I think you nailed it down pretty good and yes a constant open world would be a horrible idea. Level design, which is almost everything in these games, would be thrown out the window if they went for open world. The formula could probably be evolved a bit but any drastic shift they are planning will result in something a lot worse than before. Let's be honest, we don't live in an era where series change and get better and more complex.

It sounds like what I thought it would be. Lots of shooting. Not interested.

tumblr_maiog9aFRN1rd075go7_r1_400.gif

Top Bottom