• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix Montreal's next-gen Hitman title confirmed cancelled (IO still on Hitman)

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
iOS & Android Hitman in development at the studio instead.

Square Enix Montreal's next-gen Hitman title has been cancelled, it's been confirmed.

The fate of the game was left uncertain after Square Enix chose to shift the team's focus onto mobile titles in mid-2013, but according to the LinkedIn profile of senior game designer Richard Knight, the game was formally cancelled last year.

Little was known about the title, which was first announced in late 2011 and expected to be Square Enix Montreal's first production, but the profile of another senior designer states that the game would have been another "re-imagining" of the series and, like the earlier games, would have featured both third and first-person combat.

The profile of network engineer Anthony Pressacco also suggests that the game would have included support for microtransactions and online leaderboards. The first concept art of the game is thought to have surfaced in late 2012.

The studio is now developing an "unannounced Hitman game" for Android and iOS, Pressacco states.

Square Enix has never formally announced the cancellation of Montreal's Hitman title, but in June it was reported that the studio would be shifting its focus to mobile development, with Hitman creators IO Interactive to focus "resolutely on the future vision for the Hitman franchise".

Square also confirmed that IO was "in pre-production on a new AAA Hitman project", although it was never confirmed whether it would be taking control of SE Montreal's project or developing a new title altogether.

The two teams had previously been expected to alternate between AAA Hitman releases.

Neither IO or Square Enix Montreal's new Hitman projects have yet been formally revealed.

http://www.videogamer.com/xbox360/h...ext-gen_hitman_title_confirmed_cancelled.html

L~A

Well, colour me suprised!... he lied. They did switch focus to smartphone stuff last year, after all.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Pay $5 for the game, $3 for each chapter, wait one hour for stamina bar being full again, VIP Pack with Stealth Boosters, Killing Boosters, Weapons Boosters and option to put your face in the game at the special price of $99.99.

Sn4ke_911

Artwork for those who haven't seen it.

hitman-6-artworkwcotx.jpg

hitman-6-artwork-2ypqrv.jpg

hitman-6-artwork-3i5qj4.jpg

Nibel

Well, the last one was pretty boring and had dozens of flaws from gameplay to A.I., so I'm not sad about this one leaving the AAA arena

But: canceling a game mid-development for the sole reason to release a mobile version of it seems kind of fucked up

Liked Absolution as it was very beginner friendly. Normally I'm not into Stealth-Games, but I had fun with Absolution. So it's kinda sad.

How is the new Hitman game? I haven't played it yet.

It's okay. It is very different from the previous games, but if you can distance yourself from that it is a fine mix between Splinter Cell and Dishonored.

Also the story is really bad.

Liked Absolution as it was very beginner friendly. Normally I'm not into Stealth-Games, but I had fun with Absolution. So it's kinda sad.

You're still getting a new console Hitman game, you just won't get one every year from now on.

I wonder whats worse being downgraded to make ios/android games or to be tasked with just making map packs for modern military shooters?

JawzPause

To be fair the last Hitman was pretty shit so I'm not really bothered about this. Although SE shift to mobile platforms sounds a little worrying.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
*dials phone*

I'd like to place an order.....

before everyone tells you it's trash and an abomination, let me tell you that it's fun and basically another Blood Money.
Which reminds me,
I still don't understand how "instinct" is cheating when in the older hitman games all you need was their uniform and you could go anywhere

"re-imagining of the series"

"a new AAA Hitman project"

"two teams had previously been expected to alternate between AAA Hitman releases"

Good thing it's dead then.

Hindle

Banned
I had hopes for the Montreal Hitman game, a new team could have returned the series to its routes. Instead we're stuck with IO who are absolutely clueless.

How is the new Hitman game? I haven't played it yet.

I had fun with it. It was for newcomers of the franchise with linear level design and grounded gameplay.There are only a couple sandbox levels which were disappointing. I hope IO make a new hitman game in the vain of Silent Assassin or Blood money.

Hitman Absolution wasn't even a Hitman game.

You could go terminator through each level killing everyone and its the exact same outcome if you had of done it stealthy and it doesn't matter shit.

Sn4ke_911

before everyone tells you it's trash and an abomination, let me tell you that it's fun and basically another Blood Money.

No it really isn't, you probably haven't played BM in a while.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
No doubt Square-Enix realising Hitman's place in the market was nowhere near as prominent as they hoped, a franchise large enough to support two teams operating. Absolution performed pretty averagely, as far as I'm aware.

Good, don't want another splinter cell imitation of a game like absolution. Give it back to IO and tell them to actually make a Hitman game this time, at least on phones it's easy to ignore whatever micro transaction full bullshit they come up with.

strafer

Pretty bad. I wish we could get another Blood Money-ish Hitman game.

It's okay. It is very different from the previous games, but if you can distance yourself from that it is a fine mix between Splinter Cell and Dishonored.

Also the story is really bad.

You're still getting a new console Hitman game, you just won't get one every year from now on.

I had fun with it. It was for newcomers of the franchise with linear level design and grounded gameplay.There are only a couple sandbox levels which were disappointing. I hope IO make a new hitman game in the vain of Silent Assassin or Blood money.

Well I enjoyed it but lots of people say Blood Money is much better.

Shocking news indeed.

Ranges from quite good to quite terrible depending on what direction they take each level.

Worth picking up for under $10.

Thanks.

I remember the first Hitman game being hard as nails.

Top Bottom