• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix: No more social games in 2013, focusing on (mobile?) consumer games

Goli

By consumer games does he mean their home console/handheld division, or titles that are like their home console/handheld titles, but for mobile devices?

Because I have a really hard time believe they're not releasing anything else for mobile this year after everything else they've done.

I'm mostly wondering if he means mobile in particular because he's the head of the mobile division, so it'd be kind of odd for him to get up on Famitsu to brag about how he's developing and releasing nothing for an entire year, but look forward to our console games instead.

I mean, I'm sure people would love that, but just in terms of basic logic here something seems wrong.

So Square Enix's *mobile* producer says they're planning to release more "epic" games and everyone assumes he's talking about Versus XIII and Lightning Returns? Do you think Versus is an iPhone game now?

Don't get me wrong, this is a good thing. But he's probably talking about games like Chaos Rings and Final Fantasy Dimensions.
I agree with this, but I said
I'm assuming that he's talking about mobile games since the blog is about that, but remember those silly rumors from yesterday about SE releasing Versus, LR, and other "internally made epic and famous consumer games" in a short span of time?
I think what he means by more high quality games is more things like TWEWY: Solo Remix, or FFIV iOS/Android, and less Circle of Mana and Galaxy Dungeon-like games.
It's not really clear whether he means mobile consumer games or console/handheld consumer games or mobile AND console/handheld consumer games, but since the the blog IS about mobile games I assume what he means is "mobile consumer games." HOWEVER, it seems a bit odd that he's specifically stating that they're gonna be releasing whatever consumer games he really means in a short amount of time like those "rumors" said, which is what I wanted to point out.

Takao

Banned
Now instead of soulless iPhone cash-ins you'll have legit games on platforms with no buttons! Yay! Square Enix is totally in tune to what I want from the video game industry.

Neophoton

Neo Member
Just as long as they deliver well-made games. They don't even have to be mind-blowing, just decent or some form of quality.

Damn, I'm starting to hate Square-Enix so much...
It's not the kind of hate because "They're bad" "They're doing shitty games" "They have no IP".
No, it's the kind of hate because "Damn, this game is good, and it's Japan only ?" "This IP returns... on phones ?" "This game isn't finished yet... and you release a 3rd FFXIII ?"

It feels like they just hate money oO
They have fans, they have people willing to throw money. Heck, I have 100 fuckin euros inside my wallet. I'm throwing them on the screen, take them and give me the games I'm asking for damn it !
See Bravely Default ? Give it to me, and take my 100€
Type 0 ? Heck, here's another 100-stupid-€
Lighting Returns ? Damn, You'll have to pay me to play this; understood Square Enix ?
Final Fantasy XIV ? WHO CARES ?

Really, I think Square Enix should start about how to please their audience, and not trying to make their audience play what they don't want to play. They have strong IP, they have strong games. I'm not fond of Final Fantasy VII, but damn, I know a remake would sell a lot more than both FFXIII and FFXIII-2.

Shinta

Banned
Damn, I'm starting to hate Square-Enix so much...
It's not the kind of hate because "They're bad" "They're doing shitty games" "They have no IP".
No, it's the kind of hate because "Damn, this game is good, and it's Japan only ?" "This IP returns... on phones ?" "This game isn't finished yet... and you release a 3rd FFXIII ?"

It feels like they just hate money oO
They have fans, they have people willing to throw money. Heck, I have 100 fuckin euros inside my wallet. I'm throwing them on the screen, take them and give me the games I'm asking for damn it !
See Bravely Default ? Give it to me, and take my 100€
Type 0 ? Heck, here's another 100-stupid-€
Lighting Returns ? Damn, You'll have to pay me to play this; understood Square Enix ?
Final Fantasy XIV ? WHO CARES ?

Really, I think Square Enix should start about how to please their audience, and not trying to make their audience play what they don't want to play. They have strong IP, they have strong games. I'm not fond of Final Fantasy VII, but damn, I know a remake would sell a lot more than both FFXIII and FFXIII-2.

Sneak preview of Jason Schreir's new column on Friday?

Sneak preview of Jason Schreir's new column on Friday?

I dunno, but that's my opinion. They just hate money. In fact, I think Square Enix has found a new money. Dollars just are bad. They're working for salty fanboys tears. In fact, Square Enix big heads are drinking tears, because they believe it's the key to immortality. The more they make us annoyed, the longer they live.
"Hello ! See that Chrono Trigger game you like so much ? :D We're releasing a card game for iOS :D"
"You like Final Fantasy Versus XIII ? Here's another Lighting adventure :D"

That's the only possible explanation.

Narolf

Banned
tumblr_minsbphP8k1r13r6do3_250.gif

Shosai

Banned
I dunno, but that's my opinion. They just hate money. In fact, I think Square Enix has found a new money. Dollars just are bad. They're working for salty fanboys tears. In fact, Square Enix big heads are drinking tears, because they believe it's the key to immortality. The more they make us annoyed, the longer they live.
"Hello ! See that Chrono Trigger game you like so much ? :D We're releasing a card game for iOS :D"

There you have it. They have become the anti-Activision

SougoXIII

Since this is the mobile division, I don't think anyone should get their hopes up. You all know what Square is capable of now.

Cheebo

Banned
Do a lot of people not realize he is the head of the mobile division and is talking about mobile games? This rambling about vita and bravely default make no sense, unless you are predicting bravely default for iOS.

Yasae

Banned
So Square Enix's *mobile* producer says they're planning to release more "epic" games and everyone assumes he's talking about Versus XIII and Lightning Returns? Do you think Versus is an iPhone game now?[...]
Shit, for all we know it is...

I agree with all of this. It amazes me that the management at SE...is still in control.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
That board is a battlefield at this point. It's like the Occult War.

Protip: Don't give protips that let people perceive you as a pompous bum chum unless that's what you were going for.

Because when Versus is involved the "Occult" generally explodes for no coherent reason.

Which is why I can't stand most Versus fans to begin with because I think they are crazy. Probably to do with the obscene lack of information but I still think they overreact about every little thing more then they should.

Narolf

Banned
Protip: Don't give protips that let people perceive you as a pompous bum chum unless that's what you were going for.

Because when Versus is involved the "Occult" generally explodes for no coherent reason.

Which is why I can't stand most Versus fans to begin with because I think they are crazy. Probably to do with the obscene lack of information but I still think they overreact about every little thing more then they should.

I get what you're saying, but you aren't being fair still, and I'm not stating this because of my bias. Remember what you've told me in private about DF? The analogy with the stomach? It's no different here.

Also, a side note... the only crazy Versus' fan out of the three we have here is me. The (significant) other is borderline weird while the last one is more than fine. I would appreciate it if you stopped making generalizations like that, please.

Pikma

Banned
I have a philosophy regarding speculation and rumors about SE Japan:

Expect the worst.

Hasn't let me down yet, maybe it would happen if they ever localize Bravely Default, but I'll keep using it until then 'cause it works.

mao2

2013年というのは、実は国内メーカーからコンシューマーゲームの大作や有名作が続々リリースされる年です。
My Japanese language is rotten, but doesn't the line above simply translate to "2013 is the year big and popular consumer game titles will be continuously released by domestic [video game] makers"?

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I get what you're saying, but you aren't being fair still, and I'm not stating this because of my bias. Remember what you've told me in private about DF? The analogy with the stomach? It's no different here.

Also, a side note... the only crazy Versus' fan out of the three we have here is me. The (significant) other is borderline weird while the last one is more than fine. I would appreciate it if you stopped making generalizations like that, please.

I'm generalizing more on what I saw a couple years ago on lamefaqs.

It was like a neverending hoard of angry Behemoth's.

The Versus fan's here are rather tame.

------------------

Type 0 for all platforms.

Top Bottom