• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix: No more social games in 2013, focusing on (mobile?) consumer games

Goli

Takehiro Ando, one of Square Enix's mobile game division's producers used to run a weekly blog on Famitsu App called Smartphone Game ★ Revolution where he discussed various things about mobile game development, including his own philosophy regarding these games and the various things they had planned. The blog was also used for announcing things like Crystal Defenders' 3.0 update or Drakerider/Star Burial Dragnir.
A few months ago the blog ended but today it received a new entry since "season 2" began:
topbana002_1.jpg

(Yes, all pictures in it are as ridiculous as that one)

Anyway, today's entry is called "Good bye, social games."
In it he discusses how since the release of SE's first social game, Knights of the Crystals, many other similar, or in some cases, identical games have appeared and taken over the mobile gaming platforms, which has led to basically everything being a reskinned version of other games, specially the ones that involve card collecting and gacha. He admits SE is also guilty of this, since they have a lot of games that follow this pattern like Circle of Mana (which came out yesterday), Guardian Cross, Million Arthur, etc. While these kinds of "games" have drawn in a lot of new gamers, the old gamers, the ones used to console and handheld games, are being shunned, which is why this year they're planning on not releasing social games and instead release high quality games that appeal to "hardcore" gamers.

He also discusses other things which I think are not of much importance but maybe somebody will want to go and translate the whole thing, however, there's one thing which I think is really intriguing...
Near the end he mentions that during 2013, they're planning on releasing internally made epic and famous consumer games one after another.
I'm assuming that he's talking about mobile games since the blog is about that, but remember those silly rumors from yesterday about SE releasing Versus, LR, and other "internally made epic and famous consumer games" in a short span of time?

You can read the whole thing here: http://app.famitsu.com/20130306_136349/

Toth

Thank the good Lord.

They have made some decent games but the market is way too oversaturated at this point.

Soriku

Near the end he mentions that during 2013, they're planning on releasing internally made epic and famous consumer games one after another.
I'm assuming that he's talking about mobile games since the blog is about that, but remember those silly rumors from yesterday about SE releasing Versus, LR, and other "internally made epic and famous consumer games" in a short span of time?

I don't know what to believe!!

Excellent news, if true.

Disappointing. I was looking forward to FF Type 0tome.

Don't you want that on 3DS?

kinda kills the rumor that they were focusing on iOS, huh?

Or are mobile and social considered different? What is right!?

Goli

kinda kills the rumor that they were focusing on iOS, huh?

Or are mobile and social considered different? What is right!?

Not all mobile games are social and not all social games are mobile.
Mobile games are games like Infinity Blade or Chaos Rings, and social games are those that rely on SNS like GREE, mobage, or Facebook for their core experience, no?

Glass Rebel

Praise the lord.

Now put in some cash into localizations for Bravely Default and a FF Type-0 3DS/Vita port. Thank you, Wada.

Goli

Final Fantasy V 3DS is coming!!!

iOS you mean.

It seems a lot of people here believe mobile=social, which is sad.
I think what he means by more high quality games is more things like TWEWY: Solo Remix, or FFIV iOS/Android, and less Circle of Mana and Galaxy Dungeon-like games.

zroid

Banned
They'll dedicate all their resources to making their existing social games even more awful.

Who needs new games?

sublimit

Banned
I think SE (Japan) has missed the train for quality console games a long time ago.They have become irrelevant for me and i think it will take a lot of time in order for them to get back again (if ever.)The only messages they have given me lately is that they care only for cheap-ass sequels,MMO's and vaporware games so i don't expect them to change overnight.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
By consumer games does he mean their home console/handheld division, or titles that are like their home console/handheld titles, but for mobile devices?

Because I have a really hard time believe they're not releasing anything else for mobile this year after everything else they've done.

Midou

No faith, but they can still win me at E3 or TGS, assuming it's a console game that looks nothing like FFXIII.

Even then it will be minor optimism until it comes out, and I actually play it.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
By consumer games does he mean their home console/handheld division, or titles that are like their home console/handheld titles, but for mobile devices?

Because I have a really hard time believe they're not releasing anything else for mobile this year after everything else they've done.

Consumer games probably means anything ranging to mobile(iOS/Android), handheld or console.

They probably mean less focus on browser oriented games or games that focus on social aspects.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Consumer games probably means anything ranging to mobile(iOS/Android), handheld or console.

They probably mean less focus on browser oriented games or games that focus on social aspects.

I'm mostly wondering if he means mobile in particular because he's the head of the mobile division, so it'd be kind of odd for him to get up on Famitsu to brag about how he's developing and releasing nothing for an entire year, but look forward to our console games instead.

I mean, I'm sure people would love that, but just in terms of basic logic here something seems wrong.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I'm mostly wondering if he means mobile in particular because he's the head of the mobile division, so it'd be kind of odd for him to get up on Famitsu to brag about how he's developing and releasing nothing for an entire year, but look forward to our console games instead.

I mean, I'm sure people would love that, but just in terms of basic logic here something seems wrong.

They probably want to develop games that aren't just pick up and play.

Hard to tell. This could mean their mobile revolution with FFV iOS might kick in soon if that's what they are hinting at.

We'll have to wait and see.

jschreier

So Square Enix's *mobile* producer says they're planning to release more "epic" games and everyone assumes he's talking about Versus XIII and Lightning Returns? Do you think Versus is an iPhone game now?

Don't get me wrong, this is a good thing. But he's probably talking about games like Chaos Rings and Final Fantasy Dimensions.

sense

So Square Enix's *mobile* producer says they're planning to release more "epic" games and everyone assumes he's talking about Versus XIII and Lightning Returns? Do you think Versus is an iPhone game now?

Don't get me wrong, this is a good thing. But he's probably talking about games like Chaos Rings and Final Fantasy Dimensions.

"Anyway, today's entry is called "Good bye, social games."
In it he discusses how since the release of SE's first social game, Knights of the Crystals, many other similar, or in some cases, identical games have appeared and taken over the mobile gaming platforms, which has led to basically everything being a reskinned version of other games, specially the ones that involve card collecting and gacha. He admits SE is also guilty of this, since they have a lot of games that follow this pattern like Circle of Mana (which came out yesterday), Guardian Cross, Million Arthur, etc. While these kinds of "games" have drawn in a lot of new gamers, the old gamers, the ones used console and handheld games, are being shunned, which is why this year they're planning on not releasing social games and instead release high quality games that appeal to "hardcore" gamers."

maybe this is why people are assuming versus and lightning returns

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I would like more Lord of Vermilion and I want to know what's up with that Drakengard trademark they did about a month ago.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer

This is my thought as well.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

This is my thought as well.
The line "これからはケータイとゲーム機の垣根も無くなります。" which means "From this point on, the line between phones and game devices is disappearing." (thanks duckroll) is in here, so that definitely points more toward that as well.

Top Bottom