• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix partners with NTT Docomo to bring Dragon Quest X to smartphones

duckroll

http://www.nttdocomo.co.jp/info/news_release/2013/09/30_01.html

Docomo has announced that they're using a cloud gaming platform to bring Square Enix's Dragon Quest X to smartphones. Square Enix will also be collaborating with NTT Docomo in developing a Dragon Quest themed smartphone which comes pre-installed with a special Dragon Quest mobile title. Square Enix and NTT Docomo are also forming a partnership to bring more games to smartphones and tablets.

DMczaf

8NKCz8y.gif

L Thammy

http://www.nttdocomo.co.jp/info/news_release/2013/09/30_01.html

Docomo has announced that they're using a cloud gaming platform to bring Square Enix's Dragon Quest X to smartphones. Square Enix will also be collaborating with NTT Docomo in developing a Dragon Quest themed smartphone which comes pre-installed with a special Dragon Quest mobile title. Square Enix and NTT Docomo are also forming a partnership to bring more games to smartphones and tablets.

So Lightning Returns is hitting smartphones then?

Sandfox

This is probably the first time I've been impressed with something SE has announced/re;eased for mobile devices.

Eusis

Well, that's more ambitious than I expected, though it was the most obvious knee jerk reaction to a Yuji Hori mobile announcement.

duckroll

At least with the cloud gaming platform we know why this partnership is with NTT Docomo specifically instead of S-E announcing something for smartphones in general.

onipex

Why would NTT Docomo use their cloud platform for the 3DS?

Not what I meant. Just that they ported it to PC, and now smartphones. I expect tablet and maybe even a 3DS version down the line since they're trying to cast such a wide net.

duckroll

Not what I meant. Just that they ported it to PC, and now smartphones. I expect tablet and maybe even a 3DS version down the line since they're trying to cast such a wide net.

They're not porting it to Smartphones. It uses a cloud gaming platform which streams the PC from the cloud farm. It already runs on tablets.

JD_Lars

I'm fine with them doing whatever they want. Hopefully, they'll make enough money to create a single-player DQ game again. However, at this point I'd also be ecstatic if they ported DQ8 to PSN.

Edit: Also, localize it. We like your games in the West too, you know. :|

I'm fine with them doing whatever they want. Hopefully, they'll make enough money to create a single-player DQ game again. However, at this point I'd also be ecstatic if they ported DQ8 to PSN.

Edit: Also, localize it. We like your games in the West too, you know. :|

DQ8 won't be ported to anything but smartphones or the 3DS successor.

KiTA

I... Ok, did not expect that. Mainly cause it's going to be a disaster.

Also, new Metal Slime themed Phone: http://www.siliconera.com/2013/09/29/dragon-quest-getting-metal-slime-style-smartphone/

DQX iOS looks like it's basically just a remote desktop client connecting to a PC client. Not a bad trick, I guess.

Still, I wish they'd just let us buy the damned game. Seriously, SE, if your hurting for money, there are plenty of DQ fans in the rest of the world, try, you know, selling us products. It's amazing how well actually selling things works to increase the ol' bottom line.

Nerokis

Hmm, interesting. I've never heard of a game being streamed on smartphones, much less an MMO. It's easy to see how this could be misused ("make all games easy to play on phones!"), but that one concern aside, this actually seems pretty cool. It'd be a complimentary experience for the hardcore, while simply making the game more accessible for everyone else. And perhaps the capacity for the latter makes it easier to justify big projects. I'm guessing it's easier or more viable to leverage streaming in this case, opposed to straight up porting?

Hmm, interesting. I've never heard of a game being streamed on smartphones, much less an MMO. It's easy to see how this could be misused ("make all games easy to play on phones!"), but that one concern aside, this actually seems pretty cool. It'd be a complimentary experience for the hardcore, while simply making the game more accessible for everyone else. And perhaps the capacity for the latter makes it easier to justify big projects. I'm guessing it's easier or more viable to leverage streaming in this case, opposed to straight up porting?

For DoCoMo it means working on a majority of their smartphones.

Top Bottom