• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix partners with NTT Docomo to bring Dragon Quest X to smartphones

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
At least with the cloud gaming platform we know why this partnership is with NTT Docomo specifically instead of S-E announcing something for smartphones in general.

That was my biggest question before. I'm glad there was a somewhat sane answer for it!

Oh my. This is going to suck big time.
Major fail.

Still, at least it'll keep the player count going up in DQX and I'll suppose I'll give the iPhone version a go.. as long as it runs on iPhone 4S. (I don't think it will..)

jd6gHjP.gif

OMG THIS GIF! FUKKEN SAVED!

Nerokis

That would require effort from Square Enix. This does not since DoCoMo did all the heavy lifting. Square Enix essentially got it for free with the PC port.

I was curious about this, too... So it seems SE got a lot of bang for their buck porting DQX to PC, then? I wonder how this will affect future business calculations. I mean, what's the precedent for this, especially in the AAA space? Not necessarily asking you, by the way, as I don't expect you to know the answer to everything. Mostly just thinking aloud, although answers would be awesome. :p

extralite

I welcome this move!
DQX needs to somehow become a multimillion seller like the other DQs, dammit.

No really, the more people play it, the more enjoyable the DQX world becomes for veterans like me. And some people who will get hooked on smartphones might also get one of the non-cloud versions to play at home.

Tankallex

Banned
Not surprised, SE seems to have a hard-on for the iOS lately. Hopefully its just a phase and they get it out of their system soon. Do they realize how big of a joke they are becoming?

Not surprised, SE seems to have a hard-on for the iOS lately. Hopefully its just a phase and they get it out of their system soon. Do they realize how big of a joke they are becoming?

This isn't for iOS though. It's for smartphones on DoCoMo's network and only on DoCoMo since it's on their cloud platform.

Goli

This seems really weird... I mean, it's not like current smartphones can't run DQX. And there are MMOs like Order and Chaos out there that are perfectly playable so I think NTT Docomo is paying SE a truckload of money just to have the game on their service.
Also, a video of it running at the event:
http://youtu.be/y_H7_Gh6mxo

extralite

DQ is always on the winning platform.
Pack it up people : consoles are finished.

It's also on Wii U...

Speaking if which, since they will have to implement touch controls for the menues on smart phones I hope they bring those to the GamePad as well. U version was quite lacking touch control feature wise, only using the touch screen as a keyboard.

luca1980

Banned
wow not bad at all.
some fans can avoid a wii u purchase.
Japan obviously.
a good move. it will be interesting to see dq11 platform choice at this point

RPGCrazied

If NA gets any version, I bet its this one.

Sometimes I wish the smartphone game craze didn't take off as much as it has.

Asd202

And this will get localized instead...fuck you SE!!!

It won't be.

notlikethismatrix.gif

I'm not bitter anymore, I'm going to start collecting old JRPGs that I've missed over the years.

Exacly what I'm doing right now! Started Skies of Arcadia Legends recently and it's amazing.

Trial run for DQXI. I for one think this is a great idea. Japanese developers continuing to embrace the future.

jd6gHjP.gif

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Trial run for DQXI. I for one think this is a great idea. Japanese developers continuing to embrace the future.

sörine

Banned
So with the success of FF XIV, a PS3/4 port is only a matter of time, yes?
It seems like Nintendo's locked down console exclusivity for DQX similar to how Sony's locked down FFXIV. It's been over a year since DQX Wii released so if a PS3/4/Vita port were happening I think we'd probably know about it by now.

Personally I'd like to see both DQX and FFXIV ported to about anything that could run them. The bigger your potential audience for an MMORPG, the better.

Link1110

First reaction: hahahahahahahahahaha
Second reaction: isn't there a way to at this game with nes graphics? With all the games like that on smartphone, this could work
Third reaction: this IS ios and android and not those phones like the ones with after years and ff dimensions, right?

Tiops

At this point I really would like to see Dragon Quest XI being a smartphone exclusive. Actually, I would like every beloved S-E franchise going to smartphones, including FFV and FFVI remake. I just don't care anymore, I want to see everything burn :D

Foffy

Banned
What in the world did you guys expect? Square-Enix finds many ways to literally ruin things even with negative hype. If they announce something, prepare for phones.

I will admit, if this was the event they brought out fucking Yuji Horii for, they're pretty desperate. Was he at an event for the PC announcement?

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Haha, think I heard a collective breath of relief from all the hardcore DQ fans.

BUT FOR HOW LONG WILL YOU BE SAFE?

Top Bottom