• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix planning to reboot more IPs, create more collaboration games (a la DQH)

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Square Enix said:
slide11_b.jpg

There are three key IP policies.

First is to strengthen and reboot our existing IPs. We would like to focus on how to utilize the numerous assets of content that we have nurtured so far, and apply them to the latest trend. As for the platform, we would like to use consoles and smart devices in parallel. Just focusing on one platform is not enough. We believe it is significant to serve both platforms, if we are to offer game content and services that appeal to the new generation.

The second policy is to create new IPs. I cannot disclose much at this moment, but we are working on various initiatives, including some experimental projects.
So far, we have created IPs for a wide range of platforms, including consoles, smart devices, PCs and publication. Based on this strength, we will actively work on creating new IPs in FY2016/3.

The third IP policy is to collaborate with partner companies. With so much changes going on in the market, we will suffer a big opportunity loss if we try to do everything all by ourselves. Through collaboration, we will utilize the strengths of other companies which we ourselves lack, and grow the size of the business. A good example is “DRAGON QUEST HEROES,” So far, we had not worked on a full-scale action RPG. However, we were able to create a new style for “DRAGON QUEST” through collaboration with Koei Tecmo Games. Based on this success, we want to collaborate more with partner companies, both in and out of Japan.
Source: http://www.hd.square-enix.com/eng/ir/library/docs/150512/page05.html

Edit:

They list Star Ocean 5 as an example of rebooting IPs:

We plan to make use of our IP in multifaceted approach, in “DRAGON QUEST HEROESⅡ,” and “STAR OCEAN 5,”, as part of the efforts to strengthen and reboot our existing IPs, as I mentioned earlier.

FluxWaveZ

Reboot and strengthen existing IPs like The World Ends With You, right.

Collaborations can be cool; it'll be interesting to see what they have planned.

It'll be interesting to see what companies they work with in collaborating projects. They already have Team Ninja working on Dissidia along with Dragon Quest Heroes with Koei Tecmo.

salromano

Rise of the Tomb Raider is only listed for Xbox One in that report.

Xbox 360 version cancelled / not coming this holiday?

Justinh

I've only read the linked page, but this stood out to me.

Taking “TOMB RAIDER,” as an example, we released the GOTY (Game Of The Year) version, the HD remaster version, and the complete version including PDLC, following the first launch of the title. By conducting sales activities not once but two or three times, revenue contribution is becoming more long tailed.

Hmm...

BadWolf

They are also collaborating with Team Ninja for Dissidia, right?

SE is off to a good start this gen, I'm really looking forward to their games.

Backing both horses is also a smart idea instead of just focusing on mobile like the trend is in Japan right now.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Is this new?, as the link you provided states:

Outline of Results Briefing held on November 6, 2014

while the first page states:

Outline of Results Briefing held on May 12, 2015

Reboot huh. I wonder how a new Chrono a Trigger would pan out, new world (a la Final Fantasy games) and characters but with time travel through multiple eras as the central device. I'd be down for that.

Not gonna happen though.

Top Bottom