• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix President Yosuke Matsuda Comments On Final Fantasy VII Remake Potentially Going Cross-Gen.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

We asked Matsuda if Square Enix is having any reservations about having the installments of Final Fantasy VII Remake split between generations, or if the first installment had a chance of making it over to new-gen consoles. "It's the hottest topic at the moment and we thought you might ask us that," Matsuda said. "I believe that our teams have made it so that the game will support both the next generation and the current generation of consoles. I believe it is being developed so that it is going to be playable on both, so I'm not really concerned about that and I believe that the fans are also going to be able to enjoy it on both, including the next-generation of consoles."

Matsuda's comment does not constitute an official announcement, but it can at least give you some comfort if you've been wanting to know if there's a chance you'll be playing Final Fantasy VII Remake on the new consoles.

Someone must go back in time and force them to make the damn FF7 remake on the PS3 like in the original plan so that we can avoid all this episodic, cross-generational bullshit Square Enix is doing.

Reactions: Fuz

Aggelos

Given how director Nomua handled KH3 (announced at E3 2013 and released just this year) and this FF7Remake (announced at E3 2015, while the first episode is coming 5 years after the initial reveal),
I can speculate part 2 might end up coming in 2024-25. But since it's going to be on PS5, it's gonna be absolutely breath-taking and gang-busters. That's the redeeming feature over the long wait for the next episode.

All things considered, it can't be helped with Square-Enix. There's no way for Nomura to make a game within a reasonable 2-3 years development cycle.

greyshark

You’d think the second game would almost assuredly be on the PS5, so it makes sense to code the first game with its architecture in mind.

Oh damn. If it looks this good on PS4, I can't imagine it on PS5.. Zero load times, 120 fps, and extreme detail. I'll probably double dip.

Barnabot

Oh damn. If it looks this good on PS4, I can't imagine it on PS5.. Zero load times, 120 fps, and extreme detail. I'll probably double dip.

Two thing I've learned which SE will make sure they won't ever deliver to us:

1 - A not delayed game
2 - A game in which they will prioritize fps. No matter how powerful the console is. Be happy if the game could run at 30fps maximum.

FranXico

Two thing I've learned which SE will make sure they won't ever deliver to us:

1 - A not delayed game
2 - A game in which they will prioritize fps. No matter how powerful the console is. Be happy if the game could run at 30fps maximum.
For sure. My rule of thumb for Squeenix is: on time, or good. Choose one.

Last edited:

Skyfox

“the game will support both the next generation and the current generation of consoles”

Do we have confirmation of Xbox for this or not?

FranXico

“the game will support both the next generation and the current generation of consoles”

Do we have confirmation of Xbox for this or not?
They can't confirm because we are still in the exclusivity and marketing period for Sony. I am confident it will come to Xbox shortly after the initial launch.

GenericUser

4ac.gif

honestly, at this point, I'd rather wait another 10 years for them to finish the remake, so that I can enjoy the full game. Having only Midgar in the first part is kinda pointless. Feels more like a Gran Turismo: Prologue situation then a full game imo.

Vlaphor

I'm just going to wait for the eventual PC release of the remake. I got burned with how bad FFXV felt on the PS4 compared to the PC, so I can wait for this.

Enjay

Banned
Everything said about this game post e3 has been a treat. Loving how desperate squenix is about bleeding this final cash cow. Hopefully the end is near for this studio.

Last edited:
Reactions: wzy

chinoXL

don't get this negativity, the game looks gr8 soo far. they said next installments will be done much quicker since the engine and backbone are already in place..if they were half assing this remake i could see the cash cow comments, but they're putting in a ton of work...im confused

FranXico

don't get this negativity, the game looks gr8 soo far. they said next installments will be done much quicker since the engine and backbone are already in place..if they were half assing this remake i could see the cash cow comments, but they're putting in a ton of work...im confused
Don't worry, a lot of the negativity will stop when the game comes out for Xbox...

I wouldn't be so sure about that:
Update 6:20 p.m.: Game Informer reports Kitase saying that he does not believe development on further entries in the remake project will be much shorter than development of the first game.
According to Kitase, while characters and such are done, which will make some things easier, new environments will likely still take some time. “I do not expect it to be dramatically shorter,” he said.
Square Enix public relations sent Game Informer a follow-up e-mail following that statement from Kitase. The e-mail said, “While the development team finishes the first game of the project, they are also planning the volume of content for the second. Due to the work already done on the first game, we anticipate that the development of the second game will be more efficient. However, for now we would like to focus on the development of the first game.”

With the new console having Backwards compatibility and how long this is taking to make, I can see them just make one version and then patch in improvements for the PS5.

Also is this coming to Xbox ? I remember there was talk of possible timed exclusivity a long time ago but not seen any mention of Xbox and the pre-orders are all PS4.

Last edited:

johntown

Banned
This should be no surprise to anybody familiar with these games. I think they re-release Final Fantasy games for every platform there is. I have no idea how many times I have bought FF7.

Top Bottom