• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix registers FFVII PC domain, bonus evidence suggests achievements, $9.99

RobotHaus

Unconfirmed Member
This means we're getting Super Mario 4, right? rolleyes.gif

We already have it.
MKNuL.png

Probably putting the PC version on steam. I think they have been considering it for awhile now. I'm down for that as long as they fix the music.

As for the PC mods, can anyone tell me if they have gotten better in the past year? When I last tried them only certain models were updated and some of them were incredibly stiff and awkward.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
I have been hoping that SE would finally release the PC version on Steam ever since it appeared in the registry but I wont get my hopes up. If it comes out, I'll buy it.

Would they really fix/update the broken PC port instead of just emulating it? Isn't that how these old console games are often released on Steam?

Just replace the shitty quality music that was in the box PC release and add some AA and smoothing, up the resolution and I'll buy again.

People seem to forget that the PC version of FF VII has a fixed resolution of 320x240 or 640x480, due to the pre-rendered backgrounds. With mods, you can use higher resolutions, but it will look like shit.

FLEABttn

Banned
This. And it was a terrible port. I don't expect much from Square-Enios at all.

When it was released, it was a fairly solid port, it just wasn't ever really mean to be played on anything past Windows 98 and on anything past a Voodoo 2. Tried to play it on XP back in like 2004 but it crashed too much.

Curious to see what SE is possibly doing with this.

I know Qhimm.com has a HUGE FF7/8 PC modding community.

I used to head over there to obtain super high quality instrument packs for FF8 pc. It sounded almost exactly like the original music.

They also had a patch for FF7 that would be able to play and loop the original game music. Those guys are pretty much committed to those PC versions, its incredible.

legacyzero

Banned
what's the max resolution you can run on this though? or did they mod it to run at higher res already. I might just grab this.

My body needs FF8 too though.

I highly doubt this is anything serious, but when I was passed information on the state of the files for FF7 and FF8 that were on Steam, the FF8 files were actually edited from the original base PC port to make them run better. The edits were clearly made by Square Enix but were based on preexisting fan mods and fixes. At the time I verified that these files were definitely coming from Steam's servers. FF7 was untouched.

Considering this domain was owned by an outsider before this is very likely just SE protecting themselves and registering to stop another having it. They're been becoming more aggressive about things like domain names and twitter handles lately, taking a few that cut too close to looking official from fansites and the like.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
More than a PC version I think it could be a new title in the FF7 Compilation. Afterall, it's obvious they didn't finish milking FF7 Series (especially with CC and AC great sales), and VITA and 3DS still need a strong FF to their line-up. This could be their next key-title for portable-jap.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I highly doubt this is anything serious, but when I was passed information on the state of the files for FF7 and FF8 that were on Steam, the FF8 files were actually edited from the original base PC port to make them run better. The edits were clearly made by Square Enix but were based on preexisting fan mods and fixes. At the time I verified that these files were definitely coming from Steam's servers. FF7 was untouched.

Considering this domain was owned by an outsider before this is very likely just SE protecting themselves and registering to stop another having it. They're been becoming more aggressive about things like domain names and twitter handles lately, taking a few that cut too close to looking official from fansites and the like.

True. They just took back @kingdomhearts and a number of Facebook names as well.

Slime

Banned
New textures for the 3D stuff, hi-res background images, a new translation and a Steam release would make the perfect FFVII remake in my eyes.

Yes, I know most of those things will never happen. = \

Considering you have to use fan made patches/programs to properly get FFVII/VIII PC working on newer PCs, it's probably a newly compatible port.

What's funny is, I remember years ago, I think I read from a customer service rep that Eidos did the FF7 PC port and there was very little Square could do to update it or fix things like compatibility. But NOW S-E owns Eidos...

And damn at some of those screenshots, I knew of the modding community and dabbled in some of that, but that "FFVIII-style" minimalist battle screen makes me drool.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
lol, all I remember about the PC ports, apart from the graphical glitches, was that they murdered the music. Syrian-level atrocities up in here.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
lol, all I remember about the PC ports, apart from the graphical glitches, was that they murdered the music. Syrian-level atrocities up in here.

Yeah, the PC version had a full midi soundtrack, and it sounded awful no matter what your sound card was. That PC version was pretty god damn broken.

alf717

I own FFVII and have owned FFVIII on PC. FFVII disc 2 and 3 don't seem to work anymore and someone threw out my copy of FFVIII.

Top Bottom