• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix reports 13.7b yen loss, 99.7% yoy decrease in games income

Pooya

this is a tiny bit more than the revised forecasts announced in March.

capture9cs7m.png

capture2r3scm.png

capture36ksub.png

http://www.hd.square-enix.com/eng/news/pdf/13q4earnings.pdf
http://www.hd.square-enix.com/eng/news/pdf/13q4release.pdf

Now this bit, operating income for Digital Ent. segment (aka games) was only paltry 44m yen for the year on sales of 89b yen, the year before they had operating income of 12.6b yen on sales of 72b yen for comparison. Basically last year Digital Ent. was barely at break even point with 99.7% yoy decline in operating income even though actual sales increased.

capture6a0j0q.png

capture79hk7c.png

likely slides will be up later, they said in March that they explain restructuring plans here.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
This is what happens when you don't realize anything.

Well, anything that people would actually want to play.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Versus is going to have to come out sometime. Also, stop trying to rip us off in the mobile space.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
What happens first

SE gets bought out/closes up/gets smaller or FF Versus release?

Also DAT Firesale @ Retailers for Tomb Raider/Hitman Absolution, SE is getting hit with that big fucking time
I dun think PS+ EU potluck payout was substantial enough for Hitman to at least swerve that bottom line

NateDrake

This is what happens when you don't realize anything.

Well, anything that people would actually want to play.
What about Tomb Raider?

Aside from Tomb Raider......what did Square Enix release this yr? Theatrhythm Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts 3DS are all I can think.

New word for the day:

Oligopolistic: A market condition in which sellers are so few that the actions of any one of them will materially affect price and have a measurable impact on competitors.

Lucis

Title is misleading...
Operating Income != Game Income

Rev actually went up, so they sold more shit YOY technically...

Lets see what this new CEO going to do to help SE because they need to sort things out fast .
Bring out games people want and some new IP .

GraveRobberX

All they have to do is remake FF VII...They'd have more money than they know what to do with.

I think when people were obsessed with it, they could have made fuck tons of money on it

Now I think that aura is lost

People moved the fuck on, they got other things to satiate them
That nostalgia train has left

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
This is the kick in the balls needed to give the fans what they want.

No it isn't. Social, mobile and an emphasis on proven genres that sell in the West incoming.

JaxJag

Banned
I could careless about what happens to Square-Enix, I've never enjoyed a single Square game in my entire life.

But I am worried about their Eidos division. It's amazing how a lot of their Eidos games have sold in the millions, but are still considered failures. Gotta be some poor management going on there, hopefully they realize this and cut the fat where it needs to be cut, and there's no undeserved causalities.

Glass Rebel

I think when people were obsessed with it, they could have made fuck tons of money on it

Now I think that aura is lost

People moved the fuck on, they got other things to satiate them
That nostalgia train has left

Pretty much this. They should have remade it when they were able to come close to that PS3 demo. Nowadays even that looks dated as hell except for the characters maybe.

RagnarokX

What about Tomb Raider?

Aside from Tomb Raider......what did Square Enix release this yr? Theatrhythm Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts 3DS are all I can think.

They spent a ton more money making a game with much less gameplay and though it set a franchise high for initial sales with like the biggest ad campaign the franchise has ever seen it's probably sold half of the 3.4 million unit initial shipment that Square expected it to sell out of.

GraveRobberX

Really, SE over-shipping that absurd amount of Tomb Raiders and Hitman Absolution is biting them so fucking hard

I see HA is $19.99 @ Best Buy this week, I mean games released before it are still demanding $29.99 to $39.99, yet that shit dropped like a fucking rock one month since it's release

fauxtrot

Banned
Title is misleading...
Operating Income != Game Income

Rev actually went up, so they sold more shit YOY technically...

Revenue != Profit

They could have sold 10x what they did last year, but if their expenses go up 10x+, it won't matter.

HEY MAYBE WHEN YOU SELL YOUR ONLY DECENT GAMES TO THE REST OF THE WORLD YOU CAN MAKE MONEY.

Gib Bravely Default on Steam.

This is what happened when you refuse to make games that people actually want to play.
It's pretty sad when shitty arse skinner box social games are making em more money than real games.

I'm not sure SE is capable of delivering games that gamers really want. Just Cause 3 pls.

If they were going to lose that much money, they could have at least lost it making interesting games. :\

Edit: On second thought, is that even a whole lot for them?

Tomb Raider and Deus Ex. Not sure how Kingdom Hearts sells these days.

I think a KH consoles game would out sell both of them to tell the truth .
The sad thing is with Tomb Raider and Deus Ex is they don't sell in Japan which makes it even harder to make back money on them .

Jharp

They handle iOS/handheld games worse than almost any other major publisher.

They won't make games fans have been wanting for years.

They regularly refuse to localize games that fans in regions outside Japan have demonstrated an interest in.

They spend absurd amounts of money games like Final Fantasy XIII, XIV, and XIII-2 only to release turds, and Versus XIII, only to release nothing.

How is this a surprise? Just about the only part of the company that appears to know what the fuck they're doing is whoever is handling the Eidos stuff.

GraveRobberX

If FFX|V doesn't take off and become a nice sugar daddy like FFXI... Jesus!
All those wasted resources, time, money, etc.

SE rather than push more good content, is shuffling itself into a hole by trying to rekindle the Nostalgia by selling HD remixes of their old stable titles
It will sell well, but they really need to move ahead and push that shit forward

If FFX and FFX-2 HD and KH 1.5 are just stand alone, SE hasn't learned a damn fucking thing!

DJwest

Give gamers what they want. Versus 13, FF15, Kingdom Hearts 3, Dragon Quest XI, all on HD consoles and multiplat would sell great. Plus I need my FFXII HD port pls, lol

Top Bottom