• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square-Enix reveals Jump Festa 2017 line-up (Dragon Quest XI HYPE!) [Over]

DekuLink

The world looks beautiful, but the light just look off to me, too soft and realistic, looks strange against the cartoony characters, makes it look like the characters are plastic figurines or something.

Ōkami

Cz2wuKcUoAARnX9.jpg

That's Loto's sword, Horii whachu doin'

javadoze

From the way they were talking about the Switch version, I have to wonder if it looks any different from the PS4 version.

Shouta

Why does the hero have Erdricks sword in game.

It's very likely this game is related to the Loto/Erdrick's trilogy in some manner. When you look at the world map, there's a lot of familiar geography when compared to DQ3. It's not exactly the same but it's very reminiscent.

Either it's between DQ3 and DQ1 or post-DQ2. If it's the former, I hope it's like 300-400 years after DQ3 so I can keep Emblem of Loto as semi-canon, lol.

aadiboy

You know, the release of DQXI is like releasing a SNES game, it's 3DS remake, and a fully 3D PS4 remake all at the same time.

AgeEighty

Is Sugiyama's weird copyright bullshit the reason they yet again have a synthesized soundtrack instead of just using his orchestrated versions directly, even in Japan apparently?

Slime

Banned
It's very likely this game is related to the Loto/Erdrick's trilogy in some manner. When you look at the world map, there's a lot of familiar geography when compared to DQ3. It's not exactly the same but it's very reminiscent.

Either it's between DQ3 and DQ1 or post-DQ2. If it's the former, I hope it's like 300-400 years after DQ3 so I can keep Emblem of Loto as semi-canon, lol.

I definitely see a lot of DQIII-ish features in the map, so I'm going to guess it's a prequel. The sword is already ancient in DQIII, after all.

Shouta

I definitely see a lot of DQIII-ish features in the map, so I'm going to guess it's a prequel. The sword is already ancient in DQIII, after all.

You can also see the MC raising the Sword of Loto of up at the end of the trailer with 6 lights shining upwards. Those are probably the various orbs. The Logo has a dragon claw grasping an orb as well.

Slime

Banned
You can also see the MC raising the Sword of Loto of up at the end of the trailer with 6 lights shining upwards. Those are probably the various orbs. The Logo has a dragon claw grasping an orb as well.

Oh snap, I didn't catch the number of lights.

Interesting that the dragon comes from that big tree, and the video opens with two identical girls in a forest. Brings to mind the twin sisters guarding the egg in DQIII.

Pretty hype for the eventual stateside release! I'll buy it on 3DS and PS4 for sure, but I'll have to wait and see what the Switch version actually looks like.

Also excited for Dragon Quest Heroes 2 and Dragon Quest VIII 3DS... I've been a late comer to DQ, having only dabbled with DQVIII on PS2 upon its initial stateside release (never finished it), but DQ Heroes kinda made me something of a fan in 2015 and Builders and VII Remake sealed the deal.

1upsuper

All versions of DQXI look amazing. I'm still infatuated with the 3DS version's two simultaneous graphical styles. So excited to play every version of the game.

Oh snap, I didn't catch the number of lights.

Interesting that the dragon comes from that big tree, and the video opens with two identical girls in a forest. Brings to mind the twin sisters guarding the egg in DQIII.

Seems to me like the sisters/girls at the beginning are the 2 mage girl party members. The first girl with pigtails kind of seems like the little girl party member grown up and maybe that's a scene from the future or something

They briefly touched upon the difficulty of making "three separate versions" of the same game, but nothing else aside from that.

Technically that refers to the 2 games in one on the 3DS and the PS4 version. Switch wasn't mentioned at all in regards to 11 as far as I was paying attention.

I started translating each of the quests in DQX to play it.
I put over 90 hours in and loved it.

Anyone got a summary of the DQX stream content?

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
The game's looking pretty good, both PS4 and 3DS :D I can only admire the amount of work S-E is putting on such different hardwares.

Switch version must be delayed.

Sincerly, I just believe they didn't mention it because they couldn't show anything about it due to the whole NDA stuff going on (Zelda being the only exception from a major developer, and that's Nintendo) and how they described it as a "different" version than what's running on PS4 and 3DS. And this "difference" must be why they didn't mention the Switch version at the DQXI streaming event while the DQX's Switch version got an extremely brief mention in the DQX's livestream, while they were showing the PS4 SKU (the comment is "It's in earnest development", according to Gematsu), since the game's going to be the same, basically.

We should also remember how Horii himself, in an interview back in August on Nintendo Dream, while reconfirming the NX (at the time) version, stated that their intention is to release all the SKUs at the same time to avoid spoilers emerging by releasing one of them earlier. So, again, I don't think this is an indication of anything concrete, at the current state

http://gematsu.com/2016/08/dragon-q...imultaneous-launch-ps4-3ds-versions-suggested

Sakurai: I see. Including things like the release date, it gets dreadful when development is inevitably drawn out and the debugging piles up… But you’re not going to shift the release date and release them apart from each other, right? Since Dragon Quest games are story-driven.

Horii: That’s right. Spoilers will emerge if we release one version earlier. (Laughs.) However, we’re a little concerned about the sense of distance in movement. It’s different for each of the supported hardware.

AmyS

PS4 version doesn't have cel-shading anymore. It makes it look really off.

Yeah it's really negatively impacting the look.

So is that what I am noticing ?

AmyS said:
My question regarding the PS4 version using Unreal Engine 4, would you guys say the graphical style has changed between the first reveal footage in July 2015 and the new footage today, or remained consistent ?

Here's what the PS4 version looked like almost a year and a half ago:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBaE0mNexTs

Top Bottom