• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix sends cease and desist letter to FF Type 0 translation group

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unfortunately I’m forced to remove my posts and pages related to the popular Final Fantasy Type-0 fan translation project. That’s right, certain game company thinks that threats and false accusations are the way to treat its biggest fans. For the time being I can’t answer questions related to this matter, but I’ll write a more comprehensive post about all this once I get the chance.

I hope you understand, and as always I appreciate your support (that I might need more that ever in the near future). Thank you very much:

~Sky

Source

Send me a cease and desist letter if old.

L~A

Yeah, not surprising... They totally ignore the game for years, and then go and do this. Real classy, Squeenix.

li bur

I sent SE C&D letter for FF XIII-2 and Lightning returns but they didn't response. I need to contact my lawyer ASAP.

Good old square enix. no word of porting over the game for years so your fans decide to translate the game so other fans of yours can enjoy the game. Then they decide to release the game not on the platforms your die hard fans wanted and now you're sending out cease and desist orders to again, your fans.

Kamion

Well, considering that there'll be an official translation sometime next year... or the year after that... or the one after that... I'm honestly surprised this didn't happen sooner.

L~A

Why bother now? It's out in the open. Those that want to find it will be able to.

Yeah, if anything, Squeenix could very well have a Streisand effect on their hands. Plenty of people who never heard of the fan translation will learn about it if this get covered by big websites.

And since the translation is already online, it serves no purpose other than making them looking like a bunch of d******.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Seems pointless given that it is already available. Such incompetence.

Pretty much the first time this has been done with a fan translation though, and I thought Sky said this more or less couldn't happen due to Spanish laws on the matter. Guess he just doesn't have the means to fight it?

Good old square enix. no word of porting over the game for years so your fans decide to translate the game so other fans of yours can enjoy the game. Then they decide to release the game not on the platforms your die hard fans wanted and now you're sending out cease and desist orders to again, your fans.

knowing Square Enix I'd be fuckin shocked if the game retailed for less than $30 in part thanks to their loyal fanbase

I'm guessing $40. Irrelevant to me though. Square Enix ain't seeing my money again until... uh... the next Deus Ex ships

zeromcd73

It's surprising that they didn't actually do this before E3 or at-least directly after announcing that the game was coming to the west.

Wait, did that happen? Or is that supposition?

Announced it at E3 for PS4 and Xbone as an HD version.

Sure, but the decision to send a C&D should have been made much earlier. The fan translation has already been released.

Well yeah, but we're talking about Square Enix here. They're not exactly in touch with what happens in the West as far as their Japanese branch is concerned. So it's not that surprising it took them this long to find out.

Zomba13

It's surprising that they didn't actually do this before E3 or at-least directly after announcing that the game was coming to the west.

Yeah. The fan translation has been available for a while now and those that wanted it have already got it. I know things like lawyers and drawing up a cease and desist or working out legal things can take time but it's not like SE decided right there and then at E3 to bring Type-0 to the west. It was in planning before that so they could have put the cease and desist through to them right after the announcement (so as not to spoil the surprise). Odd to wait so long.

K.Sabot

Heheheeeeeh

Can't stop the internet now.

And if they wanna release updates they just give the files to someone else and let them publish it.

"Special thanks... and all fans of Final Fantasy" is such a genuine line of the credits of all Square games, doncha think?

Screen%20Shot%202014-07-18%20at%201.15.53%20AM.png

Screen%20Shot%202014-07-18%20at%201.16.12%20AM.png

sublimit

Banned
Announced it at E3 for PS4 and Xbone as an HD version.

They didn't say when though. How much damage a fan translation would do to them if this HD version doesn't come out until 2016?

They should be honored that fans went to all that trouble for a game that came out in fucking 2011.

Not unexpected, but I'm amazed it took them this long. I guess they wanted to keep their slow responsiveness streak going for FF Type 0. Not sure what good this'll do them though, since they aren't releasing it on PSP or Vita, and the cat's already been out of the bag for a while now.

DOWN

Banned
Eh, this is probably just a policy to be fair. Their legal team probably has a rule that any unofficial valuable projects done on their active IPs gets told off by their lawyers.

Kinda like how DC comics lawyers shot down a memorial statue for a little kid because it asked to use the superman logo. It was just a policy that every project was subject to equally, not them literally going after one. When the company got more word on it, they made an exception.

Sandfox

They didn't say when though. How much damage a fan translation would do to them if this HD version doesn't come out until 2016?

They should be honored that fans went to all that trouble for a game that came out in fucking 2011.

The fan translation doesn't help them at all and now that they're bring the game west it only hurts them lol

Dead Man

Eh, this is probably just a policy to be fair. Their legal team probably has a rule that any unofficial valuable projects done on their active IPs gets told off by their lawyers.

Kinda like how DC comics lawyers shot down a memorial statue for a little kid because it asked to use the superman logo. It was just a policy that every project was subject to equally, not them literally going after one. When the company got more word on it, they made an exception.
They have chosen to have this policy and enforce it in the way they have. 'Just a policy'. Who do you think makes the policies? Are they handed down by god or something?

Renpatsu

They played through it and it didn't read enough like a poor fanfiction
I'm not saying the writing in Type-0 is the worst, but it's not exactly the best either.

The translation team though went above and beyond the call of duty though to get this game out to English speaking fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom