• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square-Enix shipment numbers and shareholders info (Sony #3)

Thanks to gamefront...shipments are until 31th March 2007 btw.

- Final Fantasy XII (PS2)
USA: 1.680.000 St.
Europa: 1.100.000 St.

- Kingdom Hearts II (PS2)
Europa: 700.000 St.

- Dirge of Cerberus - Final Fantasy VII (PS2)
USA: 460.000 St.
Europa: 270.000 St.

- Final Fantasy III (NDS)
Japan: 990.000 St.
USA: 460.000 St.

- Dragon Quest Monsters Joker (NDS)
Japan: 1.410.000 St.

7b24a31e1a8f6f8c52baa981384de5c7.jpg

I hope this clears Sony's stake in SE...

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Has Sony increased its share lately? I was under the impression it was much smaller now.

Borys said:
Interesting, I thought they had something like 25% of shares.

Pre-Enix merger they had something like that. But I thought the merger had reduced their share more than this...maybe I heard wrong.

Amir0x

Banned
gofreak said:
Has Sony increased its share lately? I was under the impression it was much smaller now.

hm, no this sounds right. it used to be like double this, before Square and Enix merged.

Obaid

Banned
Stumpokapow said:
Whether or not they are voting shares or not is also quite important.

right. I would like to know the biggest shareholder is and how many % it has. If the biggest shareholder has something about 25% then sony is a quite important shareholder.

pswii60

Obaid said:

I thought it used to be more like 40%. But yes, it depends how many other shareholders there are, what their share size is, etc.

Phoenix Down said:
not bad i guess... some exclusive muscle

It certainly must help, as to them, Sony is another significant shareholder to keep happy. But Dragon Quest on DS must still have been a major blow to Sony whatever way to look at it.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Sony's share percentage was quite high before the merger. Along came Enix and the whole thing went out the window.

speedpop

PolyGone said:
8% isn't much. Otherwise we wouldn't be seeing the incredible DS support.
Technically it is compared to every other shareholder. But compare that to Fukushima himself (who nets 21.29%) and it's easy to see why Square Enix supports the market leaders.

PolyGone said:
8% isn't much. Otherwise we wouldn't be seeing the incredible DS support.

"incredible DS support" = more money for shareholders.. its a win win situation... plus some of that money from all the remakes on DS are funneled into larger projects like FF13

1-D_FTW

8 percent isn't much if you're talking about sway.

Didn't Nintendo have around that when Square decided to go Sony exclusive? If the other 92 percent think something is in your best financial interest, your 8 percent isn't blocking squat.

Busty

Banned
1-D_FTW said:
8 percent isn't much if you're talking about sway.

Didn't Nintendo have around that when Square decided to go Sony exclusive? If the other 92 percent think something is in your best financial interest, your 8 percent isn't blocking squat.

When your company has made tens if not hundreds of millions over the years on the format that the 8% share holder owns then it's a whole different kettle of fish.

sakuragi

Banned
When I read the #4 Masashi Miyamoto I thought WTF isn't he the legendary samurai? But its spelled Musashi not Masashi :lol

szaromir

Banned
Busty said:
When your company has made tens if not hundreds of millions over the years on the format that the 8% share holder owns then it's a whole different kettle of fish.
Are you suggesting that they will continue making Playstation 2 games?

Busty

Banned
szaromir said:
Are you suggesting that they will continue making Playstation 2 games?

A year ago that would have been a ludicrous suggestion. Now? Not so much.

People did sneer and celebrate SE's complete disdain for the 360. Now, it looks like the PS3 could find itself at the same table unless things really start to turn around.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Busty said:
A year ago that would have been a ludicrous suggestion. Now? Not so much.

People did sneer and celebrate SE's complete disdain for the 360. Now, it looks like the PS3 could find itself at the same table unless things really start to turn around.
Yeah, that's why DQIX is coming out on PS2 instead of PS3... they've already adjusted to the new platforms if you haven't noticed, and they show no indication that they are going back. DS, Wii, PC, PSP, PS3, and the 360 are all S-E will be releasing games for from now on with a strong focus on the DS, a huge portion of their holiday line-up is on it.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
tanod said:
I weep for America.
Yeah, it's pretty disheartening to see great sales for such an abysmal game. Kingdom Hearts 2 included. On the plus side the other 3 games sold far better.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
why bign doesn`t just buy se ? i mean they could at least 10 percent of the company and force them to put finally some high-end stuff on wii besides ff:cc2

Drek

speedpop said:
Technically it is compared to every other shareholder. But compare that to Fukushima himself (who nets 21.29%) and it's easy to see why Square Enix supports the market leaders.
Um, actually, Fukushima Planning LTD. is #2 as well, so Fukushima really has control of about 30% of the company's stock.

Sony's holdings in Square were never big enough to have a real influence, post-merger it plays an even smaller role. Square Enix will continue to do what both companies have done for a long time, supporting the market leader in Japan.

This system cycle will probably play out slightly different than previous because handheld gaming has really taken Japan by storm and the DS allows for rich gameplay experiences unlike what the GBA could offer, making it a viable platform for bigger budget titles that SE flagships tend to be. At the same time Sony has presented an interesting alternate format for handheld games that offers even more hardware power with the PSP. While it won't be a primary platform in SE's business model it has a strong foothold in a demographic that historically makes SE a lot of money. Hence why we're seeing some strategically timed FF remakes and FFT rerelease leading up to Crisis Core, the real money maker.

On the console side I don't think there is any way SE gives the Wii as much support as they historically give the lead Japanese platform. The Square end of the company has always been heavily invested in cutting edge graphics technology and they've already made that initial commitment this generation. They need to ride it out and find a way to make those big budget titles profitable. I wouldn't be completely surprised if that includes taking the White Engine, and all the games associated with it, multiplatform across both the PS3 and 360. Last Remnant strikes me as a trial run to see if the 360 fanbase will support traditional JRPGs.

At the same time though SE definitely won't ignore the Wii. I'd expect a lot of their major titles that have yet to go into full production will be looked at through the microscope of "can we shift this to Wii instead?" Kingdom Hearts 3 seems like the most obvious choice. I wouldn't be surprised if SE and Nintendo worked out a revival of the Ogre Battle franchise on Nintendo systems as well (though a DS release might be more likely). SaGa and Mana games on Wii also seems like a good fit, as the system is generally lacking in RPGs.

I'm expecting some big departures from the norm from SE this generation though. Primarily an attempt to branch out into other genres. They've established a variety of RPG IPs across multiple formats while dabbling in other genres as it is. I wouldn't be surprised if we see a big budget action or FPS title come from them in the near future. I'd love to see a revival of Tobal or Bushido Blade, but the sales just aren't there in the fighting genre anymore.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
cw_sasuke said:
why bign doesn`t just buy se ? i mean they could at least 10 percent of the company and force them to put finally some high-end stuff on wii besides ff:cc2
bign???

Also just because you have stock in a company doesn't mean you control its decisions. First voting stock matters most and you really need a majority to control any of the company's real actions.

speedpop

Drek said:
Um, actually, Fukushima Planning LTD. is #2 as well, so Fukushima really has control of about 30% of the company's stock.
I knew that, it was quite obvious that I didn't really need to point it out. I just put the distance between Fukushima himself and the other company.

Top Bottom