• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix stock falls more than 10% on no profit growth forecast

If they had only published bravely default in the west and not nintendo ...

i know, no big difference, but still

I think it does make a big difference though. Not just Bravely Default, but a shitload of their games they simply refuse to localise. They could do a lot of them just digitally and reap the rewards, I think a lot of those little bits would add up really. But they refuse to see the opportunities in front of them, so it's deserved that the stock falls imo.

Exentryk

SE has also added their briefing session slides - http://www.hd.square-enix.com/eng/news/pdf/14q4slides.pdf

GUp7SdQ.png

bt9o3Wy.png

Mocca-Bear

Neo Member
Not to be backseat Ceo or anything but SE has to be one of the most mismanaged companies in the industry during the last generation.

Such a shame to go through their golden years, hopefully they'll experience a Renaissance in the years to come but things certainly don't look pretty.

Hmm, the house that Final Fantasy built is now worth only just over a quarter of the house that PazuDora built.

In the last quarter the latter generated 3x the net profit that the former generated in the last fiscal year.

:/

Asd202

Hmm, the house that Final Fantasy built is now worth only just over a quarter of the house that PazuDora built.

In the last quarter the latter generated 3x the net profit that the former generated in the last fiscal year.

:/

What is PuzoDora? Puzzle and Dragons? That mobile game?

benjammin

That's fine.

FFXV will be a make-or-break moment for the series and Square-Enix needs to deliver.

I'd rather see them take their time and come out with a quality product, than rush it just because people are asking about it.

It's been 8 years and all we've seen is a 2 minute trailer. E3 this year is going to be a huge indicator of how excited we should be for this game. If all we get is the same trailer with an extra 20 seconds of footage then I'm going to continue to expect to be let down.

Kyoufu

It's been 8 years and all we've seen is a 2 minute trailer. E3 this year is going to be a huge indicator of how excited we should be for this game. If all we get is the same trailer with an extra 20 seconds of footage then I'm going to continue to expect to be let down.

It might not even be at E3.

:(

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
They are publishing cod ghosts in Japan. On the xb1. That pretty much says everything.

Also, if Ff15 turns out bad, and there's a pretty good chance of that considering it's troubled development history, it will probably strike a blow to the franchise that will be difficult to recover from. It will mean roughly a decade without a single well received mainline entry.

Longsword

What is PuzoDora? Puzzle and Dragons? That mobile game?

Yup. Should be passing 2 billion in sales any time now I think. No wonder GungHo stock is soaring. I am stunned at the staying power of P&D.

Looking at the SQEN chart above, you can see social gaming gaining share all the time from the other segments.

Some Nobody

Q2 or Q3 release for FFXV. But what's really strange is that their prediction is so low. Surely all those Eidos games could get them over 12m? Or are they just not scheduled until Q2/Q3 as well?

Guymelef

I don't know in what world some people lives every time i read.

"No Uncharted 4 this year?"
"No FF XV this year?"

What makes people think that could come so soon?

Xater

Did they mention expected sales for their upcoming titles anywhere? Very curious about what those number would be.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
What a surprise. I would go on a long rant but I'll just leave it at stop being utterly reliant on the mobile market to generate all your revenue for you. The whole short term gain, long term loss strategy isn't exactly the best approach. But what do I know right?

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer

"No FF XV this year?"

Uncharted 4 not.making it this year is understandable. But versus 13/Ff15 has been announced since the beginning of the previous generation.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Uncharted 4 not.making it this year is understandable. But versus 13/Ff15 has been announced since the beginning of the previous generation.

It was announced in 2006(which realistically was just a CG teaser) and full development didn't hit until when 2009? 2010? We are in 2014 now so upon announcement we are at year 8. Pretty amazing when you think about it.

They are publishing COD Ghosts on X1? What?

And wow at that Murdered stealth release in 3 weeks. Did we know it would be here this soon?

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
It was announced in 2006(which realistically was just a CG teaser) and full development didn't hit until when 2009? 2010? We are in 2014 now so upon announcement we are at year 8. Pretty amazing when you think about it.

Whether it is in development or not or whatever troubles it had is the problem of SE. The consumers have been waiting for the game for 7 to 8 years. You cannot blame them for being impatient while SE gets a grip on themselves.

They are publishing cod ghosts in Japan. On the xb1. That pretty much says everything.

Also, if Ff15 turns out bad, and there's a pretty good chance of that considering it's troubled development history, it will probably strike a blow to the franchise that will be difficult to recover from. It will mean roughly a decade without a single well received mainline entry.
There is a generation of kids out there for whom Final Fantasy was never a relevant franchise. FFvsXIII was announced back in 2006. A twelve year old watching the announcement would have gone through the entirety of their teen years never having had a Final Fantasy game as part of contemporary gaming canon (i.e. a game everyone must play).

Well, if we include the stuff from when it was Versus we have that 6 minute trailer from back in 2011. Also there were two trailers from last year, both with gameplay footage. That said, if we don't get any good new info at E3 this year I'm going to be extremely bitter. Hashimoto has coyly saying stuff like "just wait a little longer" since last year.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Well, if we include the stuff from when it was Versus we have that 6 minute trailer from back in 2011. Also there were two trailers from last year, both with gameplay footage. That said, if we don't get any good new info at E3 this year I'm going to be extremely bitter. Hashimoto has coyly saying stuff like "just wait a little longer" since last year.

Pretty sure wait a little longer is wait 1-2 more years.

SgtCobra

Good riddance.
Never thought I'd say this but I want Yoichi Wada back....I think? haha

Oh yeah and TLG will come out earlier than FFXV eat your heart out fanboys!!
:':)':)'(

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
There is a generation of kids out there for whom Final Fantasy was never a relevant franchise. FFvsXIII was announced back in 2006. A twelve year old watching the announcement would have gone through the entirety of their teen years never having had a Final Fantasy game as part of contemporary gaming canon (i.e. a game everyone must play).

Precisely. I mean, there are still a bunch of us who lived through the era where a final fantasy announced is the biggest thing in the world, but a whole generation of gamer now has no reason to be excited over a final fantasy game. This will be the biggest challenge facing SE Japan. Making 13-2 and LR is a grievous mistake. Now the franchise is facing irrelevancy.

Silky

Banned
People still expecting FFXV to be out in 2015? Lol.

FFXV Early '16. KH3 Mid '16.

Unless they're going for a worldwide release? Yeah, Japan might be the earliest release for it.

Some Nobody

"No FF XV this year?"

If the predictions about E3 is right, Uncharted 4 will be popping up with a long-ass gameplay trailer. That means it's been in development for quite some time.

For FFXV, the only reason I imagine it's not coming out this year is because it got moved to the new gen of consoles. Stupid thing's been in active development for (at this point) almost five years.

kuroshiki

Yup. Should be passing 2 billion in sales any time now I think. No wonder GungHo stock is soaring. I am stunned at the staying power of P&D.

Looking at the SQEN chart above, you can see social gaming gaining share all the time from the other segments.

I know few ppl who spent couple hundreds bucks in that one.

Toth

How could anyone think it'd come out before then? :p

Hope :(

Anyway, looking through the slides, there are a few items of interest:

Sales INCREASED 5% this fiscal year.
No profit growth is expected given that there are no big titles planned for a year.
Digital distributions (ie games) makes up only 11% of their operating margin o_O

KoopaTheCasual

Are people honestly freaking out at no FF15 before Mach 2015? If it was in this fiscal year it would be a holiday 2014 title, which everyone already knew wasn't happening.

And we have the financial excerpt which puts FF15 in the April 2015-March 2016 fiscal year (so holiday 2015, realistically). This has been known for months. I can't tell if people are just slow-witted or they just like screaming doom and gloom about this game. Just use your heads a little, guys.

If the game gets delayed from FY 2016, then yes, you have permission to freak the fuck out, but not before then.

Toth

Are people honestly freaking out at no FF15 before Mach 2015? If it was in this fiscal year it would be a holiday 2014 title, which everyone already knew wasn't happening.

And we have the financial excerpt which puts FF15 in the April 2015-March 2016 fiscal year (so holiday 2015, realistically). This has been known for months. I can't tell if people are just slow-witted or they just like screaming doom and gloom about this game. Just use your heads a little, guys.

If the game gets delayed from FY 2016, then yes, you have permission to freak the fuck out, but not before then.

Well, SE did say that 2014 was the year of FFXIV so it does make sense. Thankfully, the game has proved to be enough of a hit to keep fans happy with their FF fix.

KoopaTheCasual

Well, SE did say that 2014 was the year of FFXIV so it does make sense. Thankfully, the game has proved to be enough of a hit to keep fans happy with their FF fix.
I know people are still getting adjusted to this age of really scarce SE output, and can't see them going an entire year without a big japanese game, but that's sadly the reality of the current company.

To think that if SE decided to bring over Bravely Default themselves, it would shine through their reports as one significantly profitable game.

Too bad they didn't.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Okay I looked through their report and it's basically indistinguishable from a report from Nexon.

Seriously it's like 75% f2p mobile and 25% MMO.

Top Bottom