• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix talks strong Switch support, mobile, using FF15 style updates more places

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Credits to zeromcd, thought this was an interesting interview
Nikkei Interview with Square Enix CEO Matsuda-kun: http://trendy.nikkeibp.co.jp/atcl/column/16/021400099/032900007/

- Talks about extending the life of titles through updates and DLC allowing them to continue selling for longer periods of time (FFXV in this case)
- Notes that releasing titles in Japan than waiting several months to release their titles overseas is not a good business strategy, especially for their story/adventure focused titles and continues to note the importance of worldwide releases
- Smartphone titles in the first half of 2016 did poorly, their motto this year is 'something else as they have to stand out and be different from the competition in order to attract users on phones and not just continue making these games using the same templates as they have before
- Smartphone users aren't just looking for light games anymore, but more hardcore experiences
- Japan/China/North America account for 80% of the smartphone market, so no need for worldwide releases for smartphone titles
- Has an interest in the Middle East/India as a potentially large untapped market for the future
- More announcements to come for FF's 30th anniversary
- Notes that 2017 has Nintendo Switch, Xbox Scorpio, Windows 10 game mode and google's Tango
- Out of all of these Square Enix is focusing most on Nintendo Switch

Switch section in more details:

Don't be excited if old.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free

True Fire

Smartphone titles in the first half of 2016 did poorly, their motto this year is 'something else as they have to stand out and be different from the competition in order to attract users on phones and not just continue making these games using the same templates as they have before

Did he see the Final Fantasy XV mobile spin-off tho

Cerium

I want one thing and one thing only: The World Ends With You.

But that's probably never happening so I will accept Kingdom Hearts as a consolation prize.

Famassu

Not surprising at all. Switch is pretty likely going to be the next dedicated portable gaming device of choice in Japan which means there's potential for success there. Scorpio for JRPGs... perhaps not so much.

zeromcd73

Also posted in the other thread, but Matsuda talks about the importance of youtube and sharing yourself playing games with others online as an important marketing tool.

Atlus eat your heart out.

Makes sense, we've already seen several Square Enix games like I am Setsuna, Dragon Quest Hereos, Dragon Quest 11 and Project Octopath Traveller. Switch is a nice middle ground for cheaper development and Xbox has never exactly been popular in Japan.
Switch to have better support than xb1 family of devices?

Not surprising to be honest.

From Japan at least.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
I was like hol' up, isn't the new Bravely Default game that is doing very well share the same template as Grandmasters and that region-locked Dragon Quest game...

Famassu

Just make sure your new switch games run better than dq heroes
Dedicated Switch games (I imagine Switch will mostly continue getting exclusive spin-offs like DQ Monsters and smaller scale projects like Bravely Default and TWEWY, less so the FFXVs, Nier Automatas and KHIIIs) will surely run better than games ported from a much more powerful console.

G.ZZZ

He's gonna focus more on the console that will easily sell over 2 millions this year to the ones that won't hit 100k lifetime in japan?

Tell me more bro.

TI82

Banned
Dedicated Switch games (I imagine Switch will mostly continue getting exclusive spin-offs like DQ Monsters and smaller scale projects like Bravely Default and TWEWY, less so the FFXVs, Nier Automatas and KHIIIs) will surely run better than games ported from a much more powerful console.

They could have put more work into the port or at least turned the graphics down though

Shiggy

Everything else would have been shocking given the state of the Xbox brand outside of the US.

- Smartphone titles in the first half of 2016 did poorly, their motto this year is 'something else as they have to stand out and be different from the competition in order to attract users on phones and not just continue making these games using the same templates as they have before
- Smartphone users aren't just looking for light games anymore, but more hardcore experiences

That's gonna be interesting.

I want one thing and one thing only: The World Ends With You.

But that's probably never happening so I will accept Kingdom Hearts as a consolation prize.

A switch TWEWY would almost certainly need to be tv compatible, which means no relying on the touch screen combat, and so I say "Screw that".

It's mobile or bust for TWEWY2 now, and even that's going to end up lacking because of the no dual screen combat.

Thats really sad.

Dont really see a reason to support a underpowered console.

"That's really sad.

I don't see a reason why they support a underpowered console like PS4 when the PC is so much better."

See how daft that sounds? If there's a market for Square on switch, which there might be, they'd be suckers to not go there. They had good success on 3DS and likely want to continue that, which is why we have Octopath Traveller from the Bravely Default team coming.

- Notes that 2017 has Nintendo Switch, Xbox Scorpio, Windows 10 game mode and google's Tango

No mention of PlayStation. Is that simply because the PS brand is sorta default and support from Square Enix is expected at this point?

BigEmil

People who buy Microsoft consoles with intent knowing hardly any Japanese games will be on it so smart move from Square-Enix

Final Fantasy XV moved 6 million units (in shipments and digital downloads) in a little over a month, and this record was possible as a result of its simultaneous worldwide release. It was especially favorable in North America, where it sold smoothly.

Over 20% of Final Fantasy XV’s sales come from digital downloads in North America, a ratio that is higher than other regions. Digital downloads of some titles have made up to half its sales in the North America and European market.

Simultaneous worldwide releases are becoming more important.

Rather than changing content for a region, Square Enix believes games that are made as a product of Japan are better received.

Top Bottom