• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix TGS 2017 Lineup and Panels (Project Octopath news will be there)

DKHF

Wonder if maybe a Nier 1 remaster is announced at TGS (like at Sony's conference) since (Nier producer) Saito said it was very likely to happen if Automata sold well (which it did).

Oo2V2xd.gif

Wonder if maybe a Nier 1 remaster is announced at TGS (like at Sony's conference) since (Nier producer) Saito said it was very likely to happen if Automata sold well (which it did).

Okay, a Nier 1 remaster by Platinum would be amazing. Give me Papa Nier though.

FF 30th anniversary has been a joke

It's funny, Dissidia Arcade, World of FF, and FFXV all together could have easily been a pretty kickin' trilogy of 30th anniversary games, but they all came out way ahead of time. And then NT is missing the 30th anniversary year, but it's really only a month off so I guess that can slide. (Closer than the original Dissidia was anyway.)

I wish there were some more collections or remasters or ports. XII is great so I'm thankful for that, but it would've been the perfect opportunity to bring things like the PC ports of VIII/IX/XIII trilogy to PS4 for example.

Foffy

Banned
FFVIIR is totally not gonna be a PS4 release, right? :/

Why does this company announce shit a century too early?

Hype. Nomura has also expressed that he prefers his projects be announced formally and not through leaks.

Hype means shit if we all have to start planning our Hoveround purchases before the first game in a series of titles drops.

This is at least a decades long project, and you can take that as timely releases or untimely ones...

You're not wrong. I'm not too bothered because I've been shafted by Square-Enix for over half my life. I expect it at this point.

inner-G

Banned
I'm just glad it's not dead

I thought it was one of the coolest-looking original things at the Switch reveal

Huh, surprised KHIII wouldn't be showing. It seems like almost time to kick off big time promotion of the title. Maybe it's a surprise, or planned to be shown elsewhere?

VII, if it shows its face again this year (big if) will be at PSX I think? That makes the most sense.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Okay, a Nier 1 remaster by Platinum would be amazing. Give me Papa Nier though.

Honestly I wouldn't mind they don't change the gameplay but i do love to let us change between papa Nier and brother NieR.

I also LOVE see Remaster for Drakengard 3. honestly the game had very solid combat but it had piss poor performance.

Foffy

Banned
Huh, surprised KHIII wouldn't be showing. It seems like almost time to kick off big time promotion of the title. Maybe it's a surprise, or planned to be shown elsewhere?

VII, if it shows its face again this year (big if) will be at PSX I think? That makes the most sense.

If it's at TGS, couldn't it be part of Sony's showing? To help cook up hype for a game that, well, isn't having an Xbox One release in Japan as far as I know.

DKHF

Just updated the OP with Gematsu's full translation of the stage schedule events.

Seems to be a holdover from the PS2 era where they could more easily get away with announcing a game within a year (and a few months) of starting production. It just doesn't work at all for modern AAA development yet they still do it...

Like I said in the OP it could be a similar situation to FFXV at TGS 2014, it wasn't announced beforehand as being part of their lineup but still got a trailer right before/as the event started. Or it could appear Sony's conference on Sep 19.

Foffy

Banned
Seems to be a holdover from the PS2 era where they could more easily get away with announcing a game within a year (and a few months) of starting production. It just doesn't work at all for modern AAA development yet they still do it...

Didn't FFVIIR just enter full production this year, too?

And they had the nerve to show the game two years ago. :(

If it's at TGS, couldn't it be part of Sony's showing? To help cook up hype for a game that, well, isn't having an Xbox One release in Japan as far as I know.

Like I said in the OP it could be a similar situation to FFXV at TGS 2014, it wasn't announced beforehand as being part of their lineup but still got a trailer right before/as the event started. Or it could appear Sony's conference on Sep 19.

This is also a distinct possibility. I'd be really surprised to see VIIR, but KHIII doesn't seem too crazy!

No way kh3 or ff7 are there. Kh3's next appearance is in February and 7 will probably be exclusive to sony events for the time being.

Id be okay if they announce an xv expansion and world of ff 2 tho

DKHF

Didn't FFVIIR just enter full production this year, too?

And they had the nerve to show the game two years ago. :(
From what I can tell it was in full production with CyberConnect2 doing the majority of development (I would guess they were 60-70% of the project's staff with the rest being Square Enix Business Division 1 and other outside studios since they said there were/are others besides CyberConnect2) since mid-2014. And that's why they stuck to their tradition of announcing it after a year of production at E3 2015.

But it has likely been set back a lot after them deciding working with mostly external staff was not ideal/they weren't happy with how they were implementing their game design ideas I'm guessing in March/April of this year, based on the fact they released screenshots in February 2017 then the shift to mostly internal development was announced in May 2017. I would guess maybe the game design implementation parts are now at an early stage (maybe around the stage they would be at at the start of production) but assets, cutscenes, voice recording and other stuff is quite advanced based on Nomura saying in July cutscenes and other areas for FFVIIR are further along than they are for KH3 and Kitase saying voice acting was nearly finished in February. Just my speculation though, I could be completely wrong and it turns out it's accurate to say they are at the start of production again/"started production" this year.

So after CC2 being removed from the project and there being nothing to show for the game in 2017, I'm guessing the development of FFVII is going smoothly.

Exentryk

Looking forward to seeing more about Octopath. I doubt the team can top the combat after Bravely games, but hopefully they come up with something interesting regardless.

Asd202

FF 30th anniversary has been a joke

Probably the plan was to have 7R launch this year but we know how that went lol. Anyway I wonder if that FF 30th anniversary project that will be announced at the end is even a game.

Yeah at best it will be a cross gen PS4/PS5 title.

raven777

No way kh3 or ff7 are there. Kh3's next appearance is in February and 7 will probably be exclusive to sony events for the time being.

Id be okay if they announce an xv expansion and world of ff 2 tho

I do think KH3 will be at Jump Festa.. Nomura loves that event too much to just completely skip it. Maybe nothing major, but some rehashed trailer. They will probably reveal Frozen world in D23 Japan in Feb.

I anticipate a name change similar to FF Verses 13 to FF15. Bravely Default: Octopath Traveler perhaps. They have the same font afterall.

They should release a trailer of FF7R, it's been ages since we got something new.

Please SE, give me Celes and Noctis for Dissidia!

I'm probably the only guy here looking forward to Itadaki/Fortune Street, though I don't see how much "new" content they could reveal.

Definitely interested in Octopath Traveler too.

GunBR

Ok, I understand that they will not release any new big info or trailer of FF VIIr until the end of next year, but WHY Kingdom Hearts will skip TGS?

If they really want us to believe that the game will be out next year
early 2019
they can't skip any conference. TGS, PSX, E3,...

Laplasakos

Ok, I understand that they will not release any new big info or trailer of FF VIIr until the end of next year, but WHY Kingdom Hearts will skip TGS?

If they really want us to believe that the game will be out next year
early 2019
they can't skip any conference. TGS, PSX, E3,...

I am pretty sure that KH3 will be at TGS 2018.

Koozek

Probably the plan was to have 7R launch this year but we know how that went lol. Anyway I wonder if that FF 30th anniversary project that will be announced at the end is even a game.
No way was that ever the plan.

I wouldn't be too surprised if they showed a small teaser (logo, concept art etc.) of FFXVI this year. Which would be exciting, but also kinda silly because for once I want them not to announce a FF so early and instead just come out with a bang a year or so before release and surprise us.

Top Bottom