• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix to make work from home permanent as of December 1

Hugare

Chmielarz was talking about that in last post on Astronauts blog.
Yeah, and that's with a game that has been in development for years now

Square already seems mismanaged as fuck, now this? oof

Hope that it pays off for them, because I want to play FFVII R Part 2 still in this century

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Work from home was a closed deal even before covid covid just gave them confidence to make the decision

Square Enix is an example of how to take one of the best JRPG companies on the planet and completely destroy it. They were so interested in pleasing the damn investors they had to go 100% mainstream and try to appeal to the casual market all while copying a ton of elements from Western RPGs. It's hard to believe this is the same company that brought us Final Fantasy VI and Chrono Trigger. In my mind Falcom has surpassed them in every possible way when it comes to JRPGs. Besides my rant on how much I don't like them the work from home thing isn't surprising. There was an article i read recently saying that 76% of tech CEOs were considering making some form of work from home permanent.
I would argue Falcom is 90s Square. So many good IPs from Trails to Tokyo Xanadu to Ys....

Shame though, I am loving Trials of Mana and would be up for Square giving us another Mana remake or better, a full blown new Mana game.

borborygmus

I would argue Falcom is 90s Square. So many good IPs from Trails to Tokyo Xanadu to Ys....

Shame though, I am loving Trials of Mana and would be up for Square giving us another Mana remake or better, a full blown new Mana game.

Ys is still good but it's on the verge of losing me with the overuse of contrived plot twists and ass pulls and overuse of the idea of this weird ass plant root that controls all life. I wish they'd build on the Origin style of platforming action. They struck gold with that formula and I'm sad they abandoned it for the pathetic game system used in VII. What a downgrade... VIII makes the gameplay good again but it's still a far cry from the excellence of the system used in Origin.

Last edited:
Ys is still good but it's on the verge of losing me with the overuse of contrived plot twists and ass pulls and overuse of the idea of this weird ass plant root that controls all life. I wish they'd build on the Origin style of platforming action. They struck gold with that formula and I'm sad they abandoned it for the pathetic game system used in VII. What a downgrade... VIII makes the gameplay good again but it's still a far cry from the excellence of the system used in Origin.
Ngl I feel this way with Trails too....

Come on, another simulation type deal with Hajimari? Didn't we already pull this in a way with Sky 3rd? Stop with this dumb "oh look it's a simulation/robots and not the real thing" BS already.

Right now I'd be more excited for Tokyo Xanadu 2. Apparently it exceeded expectations in Japan so it's bound to happen.

Last edited:

Astral Dog

Honestly this sounds pretty cool for SE employees.
I think companies will be making a big mistake if they go this route! People need human interaction to stay sane! Anyone that was forced to work at home knows!!
They will still be coming to the office for X days, it won't be 100%from home, its a mixed model and could work wonders for the overall health of at least some employees if they choose too.

Last edited:

dano1

A Sheep
Honestly this sounds pretty cool for SE employees.

They will still be coming to the office for X days, it won't be 100%from home, its a mixed model and could work wonders for the overall health of at least some employees if they choose too.

I could see a mixed model working. But companies that go 100% remote are making a big mistake

Flintty

This is going to be the new normal for a lot of organisations. We’re likely going the same route, though in fairness we already had the infrastructure and processes in place for home working before Covid - it just wasn’t used very widely.

General feedback now is that people prefer it and would like a hybrid system going forward. A lot of our work can’t be processed on home networks though, so we will always need bricks and mortar.

Dr_Salt

I think companies will be making a big mistake if they go this route! People need human interaction to stay sane! Anyone that was forced to work at home knows!!

Speak for yourself. I've been WFH since the start of the pandemic and if it was up to me I would never step into an office again.

Ichabod

Banned
Seems like a dystopian hell to me.

*soft chime*

The time is 0700. I have raised the temperature in your bio cube to maintain optimal comfort, worker 71093. Your morning nutri-smoothie has been dispensed. You have been allotted 15 minutes for routine hygiene activities and sustinence ingestion before first check in is required. I will notify you again when 5 minutes remain.

*soft chime*

Dr_Salt

You must really dislike the people you work with?

Quite the contrary. I like my team but its not like I want to see them 10 hours a day for 5 days a week. Also I don't have to commute which can take me anything from 2-4 hours roundtrip depending on the day and the amount traffic. Normally the trip to my office with no traffic should take 15 minutes but with traffic which is everyday it can take anywhere from 1-2 hours.
I don't have to fight to get a parking spot also.

dano1

A Sheep
Quite the contrary. I like my team but its not like I want to see them 10 hours a day for 5 days a week. Also I don't have to commute which can take me anything from 2-4 hours roundtrip depending on the day and the amount traffic. Normally the trip to my office with no traffic should take 15 minutes but with traffic which is everyday it can take anywhere from 1-2 hours.
I don't have to fight to get a parking spot also.

All you had to say is 2-4 hours of driving !! That’s a big no for me. But I still believe human interaction is important to stay sane. Every other day would work

Top Bottom