• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix Trademarked 'Final Fantasy Dimensions'

I'm not arguing with your general statement, however this part simply isn't true.

Which part isn't true? It's as much a Final Fantasy game as literally any other game that's borne that brand (moreso, really, than something like Dirge of Cerberus.) Unless your definition comes down solely to what's printed on the box, this game is pretty clearly drawing from the FF DNA. The only reason at all that it isn't called FF Gaiden 2 is that SE is trying to unpoison the well a bit in Japan; it probably got renamed like a month before it was revealed.

I mean, if it winds up coming out in two of the three territories with "FINAL FANTASY" in giant letters on the box, are you really going to argue that it straightforwardly isn't an FF game?

extralite

I have to agree with charlequin here. BDFF seems like an attempt to relaunch the oldschool FF/FFIX/FFCC line of Final Fantasy and I hope it succeeds.

The 3DS is really a great place to create games with 2D gameplay and 3D visual fidelity. It can create the wow graphics effect that people expect from FF but with more modest budgets. And gameplay wise FF never really advanced beyond 2D gameplay anyway.

Yoshiya

Could somebody explain to me the point of trademarking an existing trademark + generic word? It's not like they can prevent a competitor using the word dimensions in a 3DS RPG, nor will this enhance their ability to protect the FF name.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Well, one, it is a Final Fantasy title: it's the sequel to Final Fantasy Gaiden and the FF in "Flying Fairy" is supposed to be a wink-wink-nudge-nudge reference to that. But for another, tacking the overarching series name on seems to be much more common in American branding compared to Japan -- just look at how every game in the extended Megaten family gets "Shin Megami Tensei" slapped on it in the US.

With this title in particular, Square-Enix certainly isn't going to call it "Bravely Default" in the US. They have to call it something and despite the overall brand dilution they've committed over the last ten years or so, a portable Final Fantasy title still should have more pull on the marketplace than a random Square-Enix RPG with a name that doesn't connect to anything.

Thats all true, but after seeing the Nintendo Direct presentation and the statements Iwata and the Dev-Team made it`s kinda weird that they would just name it another FF game, when its supposed to be a new IP. I guess thats just business. Its not like new SE IPs sell that much in Japan, so i dont see why they would not call it FF in Japan either - especially with the 3DS not having a "real" FF title announced.

Urgh...i still hope they`ll advertise it as a new IP, but if it means that it`ll sell better they should just rename it. ...politics :-/

FyreWulff

Could somebody explain to me the point of trademarking an existing trademark + generic word? It's not like they can prevent a competitor using the word dimensions in a 3DS RPG, nor will this enhance their ability to protect the FF name.

"Expand your Final Fantasy dimensions with this <widget>!"

It doesn't hurt them to register it.

Einhander

Which part isn't true? It's as much a Final Fantasy game as literally any other game that's borne that brand (moreso, really, than something like Dirge of Cerberus.) Unless your definition comes down solely to what's printed on the box, this game is pretty clearly drawing from the FF DNA. The only reason at all that it isn't called FF Gaiden 2 is that SE is trying to unpoison the well a bit in Japan; it probably got renamed like a month before it was revealed.

I mean, if it winds up coming out in two of the three territories with "FINAL FANTASY" in giant letters on the box, are you really going to argue that it straightforwardly isn't an FF game?

You make a good argument, but I'd say that between Bravely Default and Theatrhythm Final Fantasy, the latter would make more sense since the word "Dimensions" somewhat relates to the idea of Final Fantasy characters revisiting Final Fantasy scenes throughout the series. It sucks, though, I'd rather they not change video game titles to suit their marketing strategy, but what are ya gonna do.

You make a good argument, but I'd say that between Bravely Default and Theatrhythm Final Fantasy, the latter would make more sense since the word "Dimensions" somewhat relates to the idea of Final Fantasy characters revisiting Final Fantasy scenes throughout the series.

Except that Theatrhythm has the name it does to make it clear that it's a music game and Final Fantasy Dimensions completely fails to communicate that.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member

Haunted

Well, the only thing we know for certain is that it'll be crap.

I want an actual sequel to Crystal Chronicles on GC. With bucket bitch and everything. Crystal Bearers was an abomination of epic proportions. Virtually every mechanic was awful in every way.
poor Error

An IGN user has posted this:

From a japanese forum (rumor has it that the info was seen in 2ch too, but I'm not sure about that). Supposedly Square-Enix showed a teaser trailer to Famitsu and it will be formally announced over the next few weeks.

Quick translation of the japanese text:

FINAL FANTASY DIMENSIONS
*Dissidia reboot for "Final Fantasy 25th Anniversary".
*Nintendo 3DS.
*Crisis Core graphic engine.
*Action RPG. Resembles Kingdom Hearts gameplay and concept.
*Sequel to Dissidia Final Fantasy.
*All new characters. Seen in the CGI movie:
- Caius Ballad [XIII]
- Noel Kreiss [XIII]
- Seymour Guado [X]
- Auron [X]
- Shadow Lord? [XI]
- Genesis Rhapsodos [VII]
*The main scenario is the same as Dissidia, also, Valhalla [XIII] and Cornelia? . There's NPC people in Cornelia.

As there's no link to a concrete source, it has to be taken with a big bag of salt... But holy shit if true.

Goli

As there's no link to a concrete source, it has to be taken with a big bag of salt... But holy shit if true.

I haven't really seen anything like that on 2ch. If there was, it'd be all over the copy-paste blogs, which means it would be on andriasang, which means it would be all over other websites by now.

Eeeeeh, 2ch. I don't think it's real, unfortunately.
Why do you say that? A lot of things from 2ch are real. For starters, most Famitsu/other Japanese magazines leaks originate there... but I doubt this thing in particular is real.

If it is Dissidia-related it doesn't make sense at all to make it for 3DS. Yes, I know it's more popular, but the game doesn't fit the hardware. There is no touch screen use, you need large screen to see the area, etc.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Didn't the Dissidia PS3/360 rumor start from 2ch 2 years ago?

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
If it is Dissidia-related it doesn't make sense at all to make it for 3DS. Yes, I know it's more popular, but the game doesn't fit the hardware. There is no touch screen use, you need large screen to see the area, etc.

Does it make sense on Vita ?

Dascu

Eeeeeh, 2ch. I don't think it's real, unfortunately.

Unfortunately? Not only does it sound like a game nobody asked for, starring characters nobody in their right mind should ever ask for, it could be taking resources away from a hypothetical FFV or FFVI remake on 3DS.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!

So, it would be perfect for the 3D screen of 3DS, since with 3D on there's much more you can see in :p

But still...not thinking it's real since it's everything too vague.

Goli

"Doesn't fit the hardware?" What is that even supposed to mean? Going by that things like KH 358/2 Days/re: coded shouldn't exist then. But they do and are perfectly playable. Dissidia would probably be perfectly playable on 3DS too, maybe moving some less important parts of the HUD to the bottoms screen or shrinking them.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
I haven't really seen anything like that on 2ch. If there was, it'd be all over the copy-paste blogs, which means it would be on andriasang, which means it would be all over other websites by now.

Why do you say that? A lot of things from 2ch are real. For starters, most Famitsu/other Japanese magazines leaks originate there... but I doubt this thing in particular is real.

A lot of things from 2ch are fake, too. 2ch isn't some secret insiders club where people don't make things up.

Does it make sense on Vita ?

Yes, not in terms of sales, but in terms of hardware. Large screen, great graphics, similar to PSP + second analog.

"Doesn't fit the hardware?" What is that even supposed to mean? Going by that things like KH 358/2 Days/re: coded shouldn't exist then. But they do and are perfectly playable. Dissidia would probably be perfectly playable on 3DS too, maybe moving some less important parts of the HUD to the bottoms screen or shrinking them.

Please, let's be real here. Important parts of the HUD? You are going to look down to check your HP? Did you play Dissidia at all? The game is hectic, it won't work if you need to switch attention between screens.

Goli

A lot of things from 2ch are fake, too. 2ch isn't some secret insiders club where people don't make things up.
Yes, there's a little bit of literally everything there, I know.

Yes, not in terms of sales, but in terms of hardware. Large screen, great graphics, similar to PSP + second analog.

Please, let's be real here. Important parts of the HUD? You are going to look down to check your HP? Did you play Dissidia at all? The game is hectic, it won't work if you need to switch attention between screens.
I said less important, like the item acquisition things that pop up. They could remove the HP bar and just make it numbers like 9999/9999 or I dunno, things like that, it's perfectly possible.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest

An RPG set in Final Fantasy worlds? That could be my most anticipated title ever.
But probably fake :(

edit. actually it's even a bit confusing, is it a new Dissidia or an action rpg taking part of the formula? Anyway, no sense in guessing now -.-'

Okay so.... this seems like totally made up for a bunch of reasons.

Which is it? Is it a reboot? Or is it a sequel? Make up your mind, random IGN forum poster!

Trolling much? Lol.

It's kinda odd to mention this, since the latest game to use this "engine" is Type-0, and it was improved substantially since then. Why would a source who presumes to know so much about the game's development refer to it as the Crisis Core engine instead?

Yeah, everything's contradictory... probably fake.
But the title "Dimensions" can possibily point at some sort of cross-over, or at least I hope. A traditional action RPG a la Kingdom Hearts set in the worlds of Final Fantasy with Final Fantasy's characters would be my dream.

duckroll

Okay so.... this seems like totally made up for a bunch of reasons.

Which is it? Is it a reboot? Or is it a sequel? Make up your mind, random IGN forum poster!

Trolling much? Lol.

It's kinda odd to mention this, since the latest game to use this "engine" is Type-0, and it was improved substantially since then. Why would a source who presumes to know so much about the game's development refer to it as the Crisis Core engine instead?

Top Bottom