• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix trademarks "EPISODE DUSCAE" in Japan and Europe

Square Enix has trademarked the name "EPISODE DUSCAE" in Europe as of July 30th. (Found myself in the European trademark database.)

Did a search for it and found out it was also recently registered in Japan. SE trademarks more stuff in Japan but a lot of it tends to be related to their manga publishing. This was specifically categorized as video games.

One source for Japan (a twitter bot that publishes trademark info) :
https://twitter.com/trademark_bot/status/482284678041583616

Hope this isnt old, searched the forums for "duscae" and found nothing.

In other recent news, Square trademarked "Life is Strange" last month. It got reported on Gaf here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=847970

Update:
Episode Duscae was also registered in the United States as of July 29
http://tmsearch.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=doc&state=4807:6p9jee.2.1

CTLance

Oh, is that the big Famitsu reveal next week? Makes sense, kind of, who else but SquEnix would buy that kind of hype.

Tamanon

Banned
http://cetraconnection.net/forum/viewtopic.php?uid=1160&f=33&t=2609&start=0

quare Enix read a case OHIM on June 26, 2014 New Trademark registration for the European region - Life is Strange . So far it is unknown whether it will be also a new game or an additional title. [Update] According to the Japanese 2chan Forum Square Enix has also the Trademark EPISODE DUSCAE secured. Here, too, is still nothing more known.

All I found from a few months ago. So the trademark has been out there for a while.

Labadal

It's a new series by Square Enix. Bravely Default is for the 3DS. This is a full blown spiritual successor series led by Matsuno and Ito. The graphics are cel-shaded and it's all politics, betrayals and tactical battles.

Hexa

All the Lightning games this gen are the prequel trilogy. This is where Lightning's story really begins.

Or they can go farther.

Final Fantasy XV: Episode Duscae

Already making spinoffs to XV before it's even out!
LOL, would be funny if that's the "prequel trilogy" they hinted at.

And I'm wondering what Duscae means as well. I know that there is one moth under the Crambidia genus is of the Dusca species.

It's a new series by Square Enix. Bravely Default is for the 3DS. This is a full blown spiritual successor series led by Matsuno and Ito. The graphics are cel-shaded and it's all politics, betrayals and tactical battles.

tumblr_lz3u3iXZi21r4yfdn.gif

OG Loc

You son of a bitch. Next thing you'll say is it's a SRPG for Vita that they will actually bring to the West.

It's the ghost of Squaresoft past! Begone, ye who doesn't come with microtransactions!
Goddamn I wish this is what we're getting....

Who comes up with these names, LoL!

Lightning prequel story:

"Where we find out she's actually Bhunivelze's creation to be his bride because he was lonely. But Lightning lost her wings when she decided to rebel against Bhunivelze's kingdom because she began to think for herself.

As punishment, she was thrown down to Gran Pulse where she loses her memory in order to learn humility to be worthy enough to become a bride to the all powerful Bhunivelze."

That's about what Toriyama and Square Enix would come up with! Yes, that's ridiculous as it sounds, but if you think it's too crazy, just play Lightning Returns!

Tetranet

FFXV Demo. I wasn't expecting that. Along with FF Type-0 it will make the wait much easier.

EDIT: I saw this on Gematsu first, but the GameInformer link is now dead. Not sure what's going on.

Kain

So is "Duscae" actually existing word? what does it actually mean?

Remember these guys have a latin-sounding-random-words generator, it doesn't matter as long as it is "cool". It lost its coolness (if there was such a time where it was) a looooooooooooooooooooong way ago, but whatever.

One day they'll discover german or something and we will drown in Schwartz Panzers till ours ears bleed.

No idea what Duscae means, reminds me of dusk, sun setting, night falling in. We have a character named Noctis (Latin for night) so it kinda makes sense.

I've been searching the word pretty regularly since it was it was trademarked and it doesn't seem to mean anything in any existing language. Google Translate doesn't recognize. My best guess is "fictional latin"

Also, in case anyone is interested, the katakana rendering from the Japanese trademark application is エピソードダスカエ. Currently there are no google hits for that. I'm sure that's going to change in the next 24 hours or so.

Top Bottom