• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix trademarks Parasite Eve in Europe

Aranea

Parasite-Eve-TM_11-24-18.jpg

Square Enix has trademarked “Parasite Eve” in Europe.

The first entry in its action RPG franchise launched for PlayStation in 1998. A sequel, Parasite Eve II, followed for the same platform in 1999. The third entry, titled The 3rd Birthday, launched for PSP in 2010. The series has not seen any activity since.

Source

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I wasn't exactly thrilled over the 3rd Birthday, but I'd certainly purchase something that goes back to its roots. Hope it's not a mobile game or at least port the original 2 somewhere. What sucks is that Japan gets the original in their PS Classic, but we don't. If you have a Vita or PS3 then it doesn't suck as much.

I hope they don't mess this up.

Last edited:

Senhua

I hope for the remaster of the classic games on portable or smartphone/tab platform.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Played the original recently, and it holds up pretty well actually. Would love anything new in the franchise honestly, even a remake.

Mr Hyde

The first game is one of the best rpgs I´ve ever played. I have so many good memories from PE so please SquareEnix, don´t shit the bed with this franchise once again. Make a proper follow up to the original. Make Parasite Eve great again.

Kreydo

This serie need a real reboot/remake with today standard about narrative.
The whole Resident Evil II style matched with psy powers and action RPG combat system is great. Not a single game got that kind of setup/recipe.

Also Aya is a strong female character, Parasite Eve still got a positive aura. Something great could be made!

Unfortunatly since it's those hugely incompetent Square-Enix.... I just expect a cheap port collection or a mobile game.

Last edited:

Mato

The first one was never released in EU for PS1. I'm still bitter over that.

Last edited:

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Watch it be some mobile crap. After 3rd Birthday I don't think much more can be done with the franchise unless they restart it.

Myths

Should give this an HD remake for next gen... would be amazing. Just to hear Shimomura rearrange the OST in HD again.

Akuza89

Could this not be related to the playstation classic since it's on there?

Also could be a re-release of the old games on newer consoles...?

Myths

And tbh, I think this series especially with the concept behind the Overdive in The 3rd Birthday would be interesting as a film. The cutscene direction in the game is amazing, the art direction is stunning thanks to Kamikokuryo.

Hopefully a remake, but weirdly Parasite Eve 1 was never released in Europe (if you check the PS Store in Europe, you'll find PE2 but not PE1). This might just be SE finally releasing the original.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Probably just a HD port of the PSX games like FFVII and FFIX

KiteGr

It only took them 20 years!
This better be the localization to end all localizations if it needed that long!

And it should also have an apology attached.

Last edited:

Geki-D

Banned
I'm pretty sure they lost the rights to Parasite Eve, that's why 3rd Birthday dropped the name. This must be a release of the original PSX game in Europe, seeing as they can't make any new games.

Last edited:
First two Parasite Eve games are two of my fave games in general. Then, tragically, 3rd Birthday happened. GG, Tabeta. :(

Last edited:

Doczu

I would literally sell my kidney for a new Parasite Eve, but only if it's a perfected version of the first game. No "RE with magic" stuff from the second one and no mention of the 3rd one.

Why can't we play PS1 games on the PS4 pro? Can't they release them on PSN?...

KiteGr

It's likelly ether a mobile or none of those. The first (and only good one) PE was never released in Europe.

My scenario: They most likely planned to release it with PSXclassic, and realized the final hour that it never got released in Europe and they didn't had time to rate it and include it, thus it came only in the Japanese version.
Fans made a backlash, and they decided to finally bring it here after 20 FUCKING years, ether as a psn classic or a mobile crap remaster. Or they are planning to include it on some upcoming "PSXclassic vol 2".

The Shepard

I'd love a remake of the excellent first one or even just a ps4 port so Europe finally gets to play this hidden gem. I'm still surprised this never made it over here, I was lucky to have a modded ps1 back in the day and got this game by accident in a bundle of games.

Enygger_Tzu

Banned
I loved the first two games.

Hope this one is done with the static camera and gameplay of the second one.

Aya Brea is one of the best Japanese protagonists.

E.T. Waifu

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it's most likely a 20 year late port.
I described the most likely scenario a few posts above...
You're probably right, but I've wanted a remake of this game for so long and now I'm just going nuts. But even it is just a port, maybe, if people buy it, SE will realize that making a remake would be a good choice.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
The original Parasite Eve, like quite a few of Square's PSX era and prior releases, never got released in Europe at all.

Its funny, most people these days have no idea how badly Square ignored the European market for years, for no apparent reason either. I'm sure you could make a case for localization costs for games like PE and Brave Fencer Musashi, but Einhander? WTF.

TGO

So do they still have the trademark Japan and USA?
weird that it just for Europe.
Also if they lost the Parasite Eve rights (ala, the reason why PE3 was 3rd Birthday people assumed )
How can they register Parasite Eve as a Trade Mark

johntown

Banned
Hmmm if done right I am on board. For some reason I don’t think it will. Not sure why just s hunch.

I would adore a remake of the original that stayed true to the original.

mortal

Gold Member
Square Enix fans should always consider the likelihood if it is something they've been anticipating becoming a realization. Too often these announcement have ended up significantly disappointing, or in some cases, come with bad news.

Last edited:
OH MY GOD. PLEASE GOD. PLEASE ANY GOD. Holy shit PE1 is one of my all time favorite games and PE2 was still very good and more challenging.

PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TGO

OH MY GOD. PLEASE GOD. PLEASE ANY GOD. Holy shit PE1 is one of my all time favorite games and PE2 was still very good and more challenging.

PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You'll have your 20 pound mobile Port of a 20 year old game and you'll like it!

Oh those two games not many people cared that much about that got a PSP sequel that killed what momentum it did have.

I'd say release enhanced graphics versions of the first two games (or all 3) in a collection to gauge interest.

Top Bottom