• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix trademarks 'RiseOfTheTombRaider" and 'LaraCroftAndTheTempleOfOsiris'

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Because you say so?
Oh please. Like he's the only one to think so. It was a very well recieved game. Is it garbage because the vocal minority says so? As a huge fan of the original games I have no problem admitting it was a great game on its own merits. It did what it did well.

Banned
I never played mobile versios or guardian of light but if one of those titles is the sequel to a Tomb Raider 2013, I want that shit in my veins.

Sayers

Perhaps they'll fully realize their ambitions this time around and ship a 4 hour rail shooter with QTE platforming and 6 hours of cinematics.

Why bother with gameplay? Just make it a damn movie and be done with it.

Amir0x

Banned
GUARDIAN OF LIGHT FANS WILL BE HAPPY!?

Yes. DEAR God yes. Many GAFers will know how fucking much I loved that; I even gave away copies in a contest.

That will make up for how shit Tomb Raider has become! GIVE IT TO ME

RedAssedApe

Banned
doubt the actual game will be called rise of the tomb raider...like ^ poster just sounds like something they would call a promotional website. gives you a hint about what the game is going to be about

Ahasverus

Rise? For real? COuldn't you find a worse title than RISE?? And what the hell, I thought "Tomb Raider" was the origin story, why more "rise" bullshit? jesus.

And yet still no new Legacy of Kain :(

Ascenion

Gonna hope Rise of the Tomb Raider is a working title. While it makes sense as the first game was more of a birth and few tombs were raided this would probably be more about her gaining notoriety as the Tomb Raider, it just sounds too plain and unimaginative.

Nizz

Oh please. Like he's the only one to think so. It was a very well recieved game. Is it garbage because the vocal minority says so? As a huge fan of the original games I have no problem admitting it was a great game on its own merits. It did what it did well.
Can't disagree here. I loved and have fond memories of the first Tomb Raider games back on the PS1. I remember not even having a memory card yet and replaying levels since my progress wasn't saved but I didn't care.

I played the definitive edition of Tomb Raider on the PS4 expecting not to like it but instead ended up loving the game. It looked gorgeous and running at 60fps impressed me. I'm kind of hoping the sequel runs at the same framerate again.

Man if they would take Tomb Raider Anniversary and reskin it with the DE's graphics I'd buy it in a heartbeat. But I'm definitely anxious to see what Crystal Dynamics is doing with the next TR.

Volotaire

I really enjoyed Guardians of Light. Spamming the roll button in a circle was hilarious. The cooperative designed puzzles and optional puzzles were impressive as well, and in some instances allowed for flexible tactics with your inventory.

Banned
Garbage, not quite, but it sure as fuck wasn't a tomb raider game. Just more generic OTS accessibility tied up with a fancy bow and BS PR. Intended for every brain dead gamer who can't think for themselves, tugging one out and having a circle jerk over it.
i79q0dXqDXsxk.gif

You ok buddy? I rather enjoyed the game and I'm not brain dead.

Wow. Didnt know people want to make enemies so eagerly.

Serious? If so, fuck you too.
It has nothing to do with making enemies. It has everything to do being sick and tired of every AAA title accommodating the lowest common denominator so that everyone can pick it up and get that "AAA experience." Accessibility in favor of genuine creativity. Telling the player what to do, instead of teaching them what to do. Automated mechanics in favor of skill based execution. Cinematic "experiences" trumping gameplay driven character development and story telling. Waves of compartmental and lineal chaos overrunning an intellectual awareness of progression. Technical tricks in exchange for properly developed context.

These games already exist, en'mass. The irony is that considering OG TR's gameplay on a conceptual and ideological level, being almost 20 years old, it offers something completely fresh to the industry - what is old is now new again, type thing. And it was completely stolen and molested for, well, whatever it is that we got. To many lap it up, and it pisses me off because nobody says it like it is - particularly those who should know better. As a gaming community we'll just keep getting mediocrity and rehashes because of it. That's the issue, nothing to do with making enemies. The craft of game design, on a conceptual level, suffers because of it.
You can go without insulting the intelligence of others next time. Don't be a douche.
Agreed, I can be harsh. But really, it's the bean counters and sell out devs that are insulting people. Not trusting the player to have a brain that can figure shit out, learn, and execute. And it's disgusting.

Amir0x

Banned
It has nothing to do with making enemies. It has everything to do being sick and tired of every AAA title accommodating the lowest common denominator so that everyone can pick it up and get that "AAA experience." Accessibility in favor of genuine creativity. Telling the player what to do, instead of teaching them what to do. Automated mechanics in favor of skill based execution. Cinematic "experiences" trumping gameplay driven character development and story telling. Waves of compartmental and lineal chaos overrunning an intellectual awareness of progression. Technical tricks in exchange for properly developed context.

These games already exist, en'mass. The irony is that considering OG TR's gameplay on a conceptual and ideological level, being almost 20 years old, it offers something completely fresh to the industry - what is old is now new again, type thing. And it was completely stolen and molested for, well, whatever it is that we got. To many lap it up, and it pisses me off because nobody says it like it is - particularly those who should know better. As a gaming community we'll just keep getting mediocrity and rehashes because of it. That's the issue, nothing to do with making enemies. The craft of game design, on a conceptual level, suffers because of it.

Damn if this ain't one of the most accurate summaries of everything that is wrong with Tomb Raider.

The tragedy is that with the loss of OG Tomb Raider, we lost a genuine original in this industry. There continues now to be zero games left like it. We traded it in for homogeneity.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
One of those is obviously Guardian of Light 2.

I'm guessing the other is a mobile project since it seems a tad too early for Tomb Raider 2, unless they're just registering the slogan to redirect to a teaser page.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Damn if this ain't one of the most accurate summaries of everything that is wrong with Tomb Raider.

The tragedy is that with the loss of OG Tomb Raider, we lost a genuine original in this industry. There continues now to be zero games left like it. We traded it in for homogeneity.

Only if you were one of those who liked the originals.

Having essentially tank controls on a character who meant to be super agile and quick was pretty dumb when you think about it. Those games are unplayable now. Back then we didn't know any better.

Does that mean they had to go full on TPS? Probably not. I had no issue with Tomb Raider Legend. Really liked how they brought the older style into the modern era. But I still enjoyed Tomb Raider 2013 for what it was. A more refined version of Uncharted.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Would totally play a sequel to the TR reboot, I liked it (for what it was)

Guardian of the Light sequel?! They better stay true to the formula, because it was the netcode and the botched advertising that held it back.

Tomb Raider reboot is irredeemable junk and a waste of a promising concept; they turned what once was supposed to be an open-world survival-horror with a Metroidvania structure into a cookie-cutter linear third-person shooter with a laughable story even by videogame standards. I can't think of a single thing it excelled at, except for not being profitable after somehow selling 4 million copies.

Mman235

I guess that tweet gives hope that these aren't mobile related.

Having essentially tank controls on a character who meant to be super agile and quick was pretty dumb when you think about it.

Does that mean they had to go full on TPS? Probably not. I had no issue with Tomb Raider Legend. Really liked how they brought the older style into the modern era.

Only if you think that games have to be representative of reality. Between the lack of invisible walls and the way player skill dictates every move I feel far more "agile" in the original games than I do in pretty much every modern non-Mirror's Edge action-adventure where I'm constantly hemmed in by invisible walls and all player skill is marginalised by automisation.

Legend is as much of a linear story-driven TPS as the reboot is, maybe more so (the better hubs in the reboot at least have some genuine openness to them). Anniversary and Underworld at least tried (even if I find their methods flawed, especially in the latter's case)

Top Bottom