• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square-Enix trademarks "SE Masterpieces" in Europe...

Rubeus said:
I wonder if it is just for porting all their DS and PSP titles to HD platforms? They were such as waste on handheld systems, especially the PSP releases like Dissidia and Tactics Ogre.
No they weren't. If you want them, you should buy the platforms they came out for.

I don't think this applies to their PS2 games being ported to work on the PS3 because that's the next generation of the console. Likewise, if the PSP2 and 3DS weren't already going to be backwards compatible with their respective predecessors, I'd support the same for them.

Dunan

FFXII in HD! Please? It would take very little effort.

FFIX is also something I'd want, but all that pre-rendered art would be a chore to upscale. Wouldn't it have to be re-drawn entirely?

Dunan said:
FFXII in HD! Please? It would take very little effort.

FFIX is also something I'd want, but all that pre-rendered art would be a chore to upscale. Wouldn't it have to be re-drawn entirely?
It's a safe assumption to say that Square-Enix hasn't kept the source for the art or the CG around for the past decade, so yes, everything would almost certainly have to be redrawn.

I hope they re-release FFIX with this problem fixed, It has left me unable to play the game since it's release.

40d4b7c5.jpg

Dunan

badcrumble said:
It's a safe assumption to say that Square-Enix hasn't kept the source for the art or the CG around for the past decade, so yes, everything would almost certainly have to be redrawn.

Figured as much, which is a tragedy if true. FFXII has a ton of high-grade assets; PCSX2 is showing them to us to some extent. They could even release an art book of the stuff drawn by Isamu Kamikokuryo and call it "Masterpieces" -- I'd buy it.

PumpkinPie said:
I hope they re-release FFIX with this problem fixed, It has left me unable to play the game since it's release.

40d4b7c5.jpg

Worst joke ever. I know that's a lie. I know people don't decide to not play a game because of shit like that.

:|

mt1200

jorgeton said:
I would also pay top dollar ($40) for an HD FF12 International Edition. It would be glorious.

Oh yes, how could I forgot about IZJS.

I'll gladly pay for an HD International Zodiac Job System version.

Dunan said:
Figured as much, which is a tragedy if true. FFXII has a ton of high-grade assets; PCSX2 is showing them to us to some extent. They could even release an art book of the stuff drawn by Isamu Kamikokuryo and call it "Masterpieces" -- I'd buy it.
It's possible that the FFXII assets may have been kept around - heck, PCSX2 makes the game look lovely, but high-res text, less-compressed sound, a few texture tweaks, and rerendered HD FMVs would be lovely.

If you want a good look at Square-Enix's policy on keeping their old assets around, though... just look at Advent Children Complete. Only a few years after Advent Children came out, and yet they didn't even bother rerendering the original movie's scenes in HD. Pathetic.

If they DO rerelease old FFs, it'll likely be as basic conversions a la the God of War collection (and FFXII will look lovely, since it already had a widescreen mode and looks gorgeous in HD - maybe not so much for FFX/X-2 or the KH series, none of which have a widescreen display mode). A quick buck. OR it'll be full remakes with modern-day Square-Enix sensibilities (i.e. no more prerendered backgrounds for you and say hello to voice acting).

badcrumble said:
It's possible that the FFXII assets may have been kept around - heck, PCSX2 makes the game look lovely, but high-res text, less-compressed sound, a few texture tweaks, and rerendered HD FMVs would be lovely.

If you want a good look at Square-Enix's policy on keeping their old assets around, though... just look at Advent Children Complete. Only a few years after Advent Children came out, and yet they didn't even bother rerendering the original movie's scenes in HD. Pathetic.

is that not more of a sign that they're cheap as opposed to them keeping the original assets?

IF FFX/X-2 and the KH games get ported, they're going to have to tweak things to get widescreen working anyway, so it'd be nice to see maybe a tweak or two to the content of the games. I know, I know, too much to ask for, but a Hard Mode in FFX with actual challenging battles would be a dream come true (since the battle system IS amazingly well designed).

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
rainking187 said:
I was being serious. I love a lot of their classic games but I haven't really played anything from them this gen that I really care for.
That's a symptom, not the disease.

Go_Ly_Dow

I think HD re-releases for pre PS2 games would be challenging because of the pre-rendered backgrounds.

Unless they recreated them at a native HD resolution they would just be a blurry mess.

shaowebb

TERRANIGMA.

It needs brought back in some form. It's hailed right beside the Mother series as the greatest RPG never ported stateside and it's fanbase keeps growing. Bring it here SE...we've been waiting long enough.

shaowebb said:
TERRANIGMA.

It needs brought back in some form. It's hailed right beside the Mother series as the greatest RPG never ported stateside and it's fanbase keeps growing. Bring it here SE...we've been waiting long enough.
All the remaining Quintet games really need VC releases (Soulblazer, Illusion of Gaia, Robotrek, Actraiser 2). Plus Terranigma is already in english thanks to it's European release.

It's nice we're now getting stuff like FFVI, Chrono Trigger and Lufia, but the Enix side has been woefully neglected. I want DW1-4, EVO and Mischief Makers too.

Simousse

Neo Member
Well, I am not allowed to create a new thread (because of my noob statut I assume), so I use this one : Square Enix has registered a new trademark : THEATRHYTHM.

An odd obvious name, probably a smartphone game based on theater ?

Source :Finaland

Cromat

It's about time.
Square-Enix doesn't devote enough time and resource to revisiting their old classics.
They're constantly busy making new unforgettable games.

Top Bottom